United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally posted at EverythingIPlayed.Blogspot.com

The evening wrapped up with one more game of Agricola, this time with 4. This was my first foray into the I (for "Interactive") deck, and in fact the other players commented on how unused my cards felt.

I should also say that this day saw the first use of my animeeples to represent farm animals. I'm actually surprised at how much these add to my enjoyment of the game. Plus I can now use the cubes that originally represented animals to act as additional resources of other types (most notably wood, which runs out constantly).

The I deck, as the name would suggest, led to a lot of interactivity. Most notably, I had the Taster occupation, the current poster child for "this card is broken" discussions on the Agricola forum on BoardGameGeek (to say nothing of a couple of the players in this game). This card allows its owner to pay one food to the starting player to act first. It did not end up being overwhelmingly powerful in this game - in fact I only used it twice, but I can see situations where it would convey a huge advantage. It does force the other players to not rely on getting the first action of the round, but Agricola offers so many paths to victory that I believe you should be able to account for this. I would classify it as "powerful" and "annoying" but not necessarily "broken". Your mileage may vary. It should be noted that I didn't win.

This game was a little unusual in that a) nobody managed to get any animals breeding until very near the end of the game, which led to food being even tighter than usual and b) due to one player having an occupation that gave him 2 grain and 1 vegetable on the "take one grain" space at the cost of giving every other player a grain, there were scads of grain out by the end of the game - in fact we had to use the old sheep cubes to represent grain, and I don't think I'd ever seen grain even come close to running out before.

Scores:
Dan - 43
Chris - 42
Lane - 32
Tom - 30

Game Time: 120 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Close game. You seem to come in second a lot.

Do you use the '3 X Grain' and '4 X *whatever*' markers when you start running out of goods? The first 4-player game I was in the wood kept running out and it surprised me. I didn't think to use the multiplication counters. But now I always remember and it helps a lot with supply management.

=][=

edit: had to change symbols

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the 4x counter for wood, but I prefer just using the ex-cows. The 4x markers are kind of fiddly (and even more problematic for grain since they don't work out in fields).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I have used the 4x counter for wood, but I prefer just using the ex-cows.

I never thought of that--nice one. I'll be putting my retired cows back in play from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.