Subject: First timer report: Scenario 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My friend Charles has been talking about how great Tide of Iron is. He thinks the miniatures are cool. Personally, I've never cared for minis. He's a nice guy, and he did play Conflict of Heroes and C&C Ancients with me, so I thought I'd return the favor.

We played Scenario 1. I was the Americans, because it seemed easier, and I was new. I had machine gun crews at certain points, and at the beginning, I had an MG crew run to the top of the nearby hill to snatch a command point. This was a mistake; I just didn't need the command points. I gave up initiative for most of the game, which was usually fine.

The American Reinforcements 1 deck gave me tons of infantry reinforcements. One of these is a bazooka unit, which will toast that tank! Also, there is a command action card which can give any unit bazooka specialty.

I had a weak point at the south end. He successfully assaulted there with the help of his tank and an elite unit. He broke through, there, and at another point at the north. The problem was a dead machine gun unit and some badly timed OP fire. He took control of three victory hexes in the last turn; however, it was with the *last three* of his infantry units, except the mortar. Fortunately for him, my machine guns rolled a lot of 1's and missed. Unfortunately for him, I also had a ton of infantry, who took them out; just barely. It literally came down to the last few die rolls in the last turn.

My feelings about the game: It seems like it's often overly complex; A lot of things seem like they are not very realistic, but it still takes a lot of rules to describe it. This was especially difficult because Charles hadn't played in a long time, and had forgotten a lot of details. However, I didn't mind this; Charles is a great person to play games with, and even time spent delving in the rulebook was a fun time. I did enjoy the game, and I'm sure the next time we play it will go a lot more smoothly! I certainly look forward to future sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like other games such as Memoir '44, Arkham Horror, Shadows over Camelot and Descent, TOI is more about atmosphere and enjoyable 'experience' than it is about 'winning'.

That is why theme and playing experience is my first criteria when getting a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules can take some time to master and are confusing in places. The game only gets better though once you get to the point of no longer needing to check the rules.Also when you understand how all the unit mechanics work together you'll find more ways to do things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Historical games you have to play both sides of the same scenario to get a good feel for a scenario. Its always interesting to see how your opponent handles an attack differently than you did too.

Not very many games are fun until about the 3rd game when you know the rules. The first couple are always digging through the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.