Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 2 plays of Rohan, both of which were fun, I'm wondering if all the play on the board just is a vehicle for getting to a conclusion pre-determined by the fate draw.

Can the 3 hours of pushing pieces and throwing dice be boiled down to a 1 minute game with the following rules:

Draw 4 fate tiles, treat "X" as "1".

If the total is 8 or more, Free Peoples win.
It the total is 6 or less, Shadow wins.
If the total is 7: "Answer fuzzy, ask again later".

Any opinions?

Have people played games where the Fate track was at 7 after the turn 3 fate draw and ended in Shadow victory? How about fate=4 after turn 3 draw ending in Free Victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very curious to the replies to this........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have enough plays to put forth an opinion or some helpful info?

Anyone? Bueller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a game using the online program, where fate just didn't really come into it. As the shadow player I did try and keep fate moving slowly (which it did), but the game was over with fate only on 12 with a free player victory.

Some of the battles were real turning points and the game had some fantastic moments. Although fate was something that I thought was important especially at the start, it became obvious that the game would finish before it had any affect.

The free player didn't get great draws at the beginning with 2/0! and then a 3. Not very low maybe, but not so high either and another 0 followed fairly soon afterwards as well.

I don't have a lot of experience with the game yet, but it does seem very well balanced and the fate just acts as another factor to consider without necessarily becoming the driving force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The three times I played it seemed horribly unbalanced in favor of the Shadow, but I'm pleased to see other players enjoying it! May mean I have to reopen it and take another crack...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
Can the 3 hours of pushing pieces and throwing dice be boiled down to a 1 minute game with the following rules:

Draw 4 fate tiles, treat "X" as "1".

If the total is 8 or more, Free Peoples win.
It the total is 6 or less, Shadow wins.
If the total is 7: "Answer fuzzy, ask again later".

Any opinions?

I'd characterize that as reductio ad absurdam. You've only played twice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.