Subject: unit special abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rohan pikeman, shield wall ability: Can it prevent activation of opponent's unit special ability? And if it can, can it "select" the damage it cancels?

Examples:

1) Pike vs Mordor Orc. Each uses maneuver and scores a hit. Orc takes one hit, does pike take zero or 1 hit?

2) Same as above, but add one Dunlending, who also hits. Can the pike prevent the black die damage, thereby preventing orc extra hit ability?
Does pike take 1 hit, or 2 hits (causing casualty)?

Mordor Orc Ability: Can/does it place the bonus hit on a fortress? For example, the Hornburg damage circle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
Rohan pikeman, shield wall ability: Can it prevent activation of opponent's unit special ability? And if it can, can it "select" the damage it cancels?

No. Only the damage is cancelled, not the hit that caused it, so the special ability is still activated.

havoc110 wrote:
Examples:

1) Pike vs Mordor Orc. Each uses maneuver and scores a hit. Orc takes one hit, does pike take zero or 1 hit?

One hit.

havoc110 wrote:
2) Same as above, but add one Dunlending, who also hits. Can the pike prevent the black die damage, thereby preventing orc extra hit ability?
Does pike take 1 hit, or 2 hits (causing casualty)?

Two hits.

Note that two hits don't necessarily cause an immediate casualty. Unless some circumstance (such as the activation of the Warg Rider special ability) causes immediate application of damage, casualties need not be taken until the number of damage markers on an Army exceeds the number of units in it.

havoc110 wrote:
Mordor Orc Ability: Can/does it place the bonus hit on a fortress? For example, the Hornburg damage circle?

Yes. Damage is applied to the Stronghold first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. And yes, the casualty in the example is taken due to the fact that the free army only has one unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
If the pike defends alone with one damage token and receives another one during combat, can it use its special ability to cancel the damage it has just received?
It says "Discard a damage token you received during this round", but the order of combat steps is 4) apply special abilities, 5) inflict damage, and the rules also say you have to take casualties as as soon as the number of damage tokens excels the number of units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, If the Footmen hits on his black die, then he survives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
Follow-up: Damage on strongholds can't be repaired. Does this mean that the hillman's ability can't be applied if he is in a stronghold and the attacking army damaged the stronghold? Or does the hillman cancel the damage before it is applied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean the Spearmen's ability, and yes it can be applied. The damage is cancelled before it's applied to the Stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.