Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played this a few times last month and Hunters won... every single time.

The problem I think is with some of the characters. You have your 3 hunters. Then you have Daniel, if he doesn't win right away, he becomes a hunter. Then allie probably wants to join the hunter team right away.

Charles and Bob can help the Shadows, but overall just want to balance the game, more than give the shadows the win. Also, Unknown is fun, but his ability is just physically weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played more than a few times and the games seem to be well divided. Perhaps your Shadow players are remaining concealed for too long? After all, the two main Shadows have powers that work multiple times but only when revealed. Remaining concealed for a while is fine as you hope that the Hunters may trip up each other, but you have to step into the light as soon as that strategy doesn't seem to be paying off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our record so far is:
Hunters 32 wins
Shadows 27 wins
Neutrals 16 wins (that's a neutral win on their own, such as Bob getting 5 items)

A bit skewed towards the Hunters, but not dramatically - though we've been playing with a bigger variety of characters.

The Shadows do have more incentive to reveal early, but its good to try to be sure of at least one foe before you do.

The Unknown is weaker than the other Shadows; we've added a small house rule that the Unknown can reveal to use any card that the Hunter's could use (Advent, Spear of Longinus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
The Unknown is weaker than the other Shadows; we've added a small house rule that the Unknown can reveal to use any card that the Hunter's could use (Advent, Spear of Longinus).

Eh. Some Neutrals seem weaker than others. Perhaps some Hunters are weaker than others. I see no reason to tweak everyone. This game is just too quick and casual to get worked up over play balance. Still, if you had to tweak the Unknown, letting him "lie" about who he is to use cards seems entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I see no reason to tweak everyone. This game is just too quick and casual to get worked up over play balance.

I mostly agree. We just rule the Unknown because its frequently frustrating to have a special ability you can never use, and the house rule seems very thematic.

The only other character we've really talked about changing is Allie...she's just too boring, and she almost always wins. Since she shares the win, that doesn't hurt the game, but it is dull. But we don't have a good simple fix for her. Some of our custom characters like to kill her though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh I had two Shadow Hunters games this weekend. Hunters won both times and oddly enough the player to my left and I were the Hunters both times. However it does seem to be true that the Shadow characters probably remained hidden to long. It didnt help the Werewolf was very skilled a rulling 4,4 or 2,2 a lot of times. The last game had a lot of luck though. We, the hunters were doing pretty bad, but were able to make Bob ally with us making the point the longer the game goes on the higher chance of him winning, so he helped us out big time. Then I got luckly and healed my teammate and full healed myself as we managed to kill the wolf, then since I could teleport, the Vampire didn't have a chance.

I will agree the Unknown sounds really good but in practice, just isn't very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two games today, Hunters won both times.

The first game, Emi revealed herself quite early. I happened to be Daniel. We randomly killed off the Vampire quickly and from there it was clockwork.

The second game, I was Charles and Franklin the hunter revealed himself early. From there, he attacked me. Then he went after someone else, who was actually the werewolf. The wolf revealed himself quite too late and barely used his counter-attack to full potential. The Daniel player forgot to reveal himself as his ability. The last Shadow was the Unknown.

Pretty much, when the neutral characters are Daniel and Allie, the game can be quite stacked. You already have two Hunter characters going after Shadows and if one dies, Daniel is there to slant it more. Allie, seeing this, will try to join the Hunters as well.

I like Charles and Bob, but though they will try to prolong the game as much as possible, they don't really have much options than to attack the winning team. They can do that, but it doesn't really slow down the game and there's a chance they might not even be in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two more games today. Both were 5 people games.

The first game I was Emi. I just remember people ganging up on a particular player. He died and revealed himself to be... Daniel! The game was over.

The second game was far more interesting. Early on, I figured the person on my right was Bob due to a green card that allows me to see the character of someone else.

So I figured him out...

Then I got a hermit card which I gave to a particular person... this person thought about it a bit then gave it back to me, saying he was a hunter. I was a bit fishy as he hesitated for a while, but I did not attack him.

Meanwhile, another two players were fighting each other. I could not tell which one of these was my partner. So I waited.

The key moment for me was when the fishy player started attacking me. The funny thing was the game had prolonged far along, in fact I think we each went 4 turns before the first attack arrived. Anyway, I was attacked. Right there, I was 99% sure the guy was Unknown.

The entire game I went for the white cards. I had received the item where I was not affected by black damage cards. One particular turn, I revealed a white card that said, "Reveal yourself, if you are a hunter you heal fully." And I did that as so.

The turns kept going until I used my ability to consistently steal item cards off of people. Among the ones I took was the handgun. With this, I managed to kill off the player who kept attacking me and... he was the Unknown.

So then I knew it was Emi (me), Bob, a Hunter and a Shadow. Unfortunately, the other Hunter would not reveal himself, until it was too late; Bob killed the other hunter off. It was now between me, Bob and the Shadow.

I attacked the Shadow player and he retaliated as the werewolf. However, I got his health down 1 life remaining. Bob went and rolled a 10. He landed on the location where he proceeded to steal my equipment and won, having all 5 pieces acquired.

Some key notes:
- Emi's ability is extremely powerful at stealing equipments or on weird woods
- Werewolf should stack attack buffs to deal counter-attack damage and should reveal early as possible to maximize damage
- Attacking a revealed character is not always a good idea; it shows people what team you are on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gould
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I think it'd be pretty cool if Unknown could lie to one Black or White card of his choice (mainly Advent or Spear of Longinus) per game. But he'd have to reveal to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.