Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary's family is planning on building a memorial statue in Lake Geneva. They just need city officials to approve it. Is there anyway the gaming community would be able to help with this, I wonder?

http://gazettextra.com/news/2009/aug/01/plans-under-way-memo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
homiefud wrote:
Gary's family is planning on building a memorial statue in Lake Geneva. They just need city officials to approve it. Is there anyway the gaming community would be able to help with this, I wonder?
/

I already have a memorial statue of Gary in my backyard. Doesn't everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
homiefud wrote:
/

I suppose if people were interested in seeing the statue, it could generate some tourist dollars... "50 Geek Things to see before you die".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
homiefud wrote:

http://gazettextra.com/news/2009/aug/01/plans-under-way-memo...

From the story...

the story wrote:

She declined to offer details about the appearance or exact placement of the memorial statue until plans are firmed up.

"It's something he wanted, and something his fans would want," she said.

"It's going to be very tasteful."

That's a bit of a headscratcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
That's a bit of a headscratcher.

I'm really not sure what you mean by this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Something like this.

Only perhaps a copy of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in the outstretched left hand. And of course Gary, not this chick.

And bigger. More bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Something like this.

And bigger. More bigger.

That's perfect! It should be just big enough to be seen from space, but no larger because we don't want this to get out of hand or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a GIANT d20 being rolled by Gary that is in the process of destroying everything 4th edition related?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cosine wrote:
Something like this.

Only perhaps a copy of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in the outstretched left hand. And of course Gary, not this chick.

And bigger. More bigger.
Perhaps they could construct a 'bunker', or 'basement' even underneath of that? There could even be "Mountain Dew" dispensed from her 'teats', with a "Cheetos" concession to fund that, oh and also add with HER "vanquishing" a dreaded 'Gazebo'!
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, and perhaps we should find some way to get a statue of Dave Arneson right next to it. He had as much to do with the success of D&D as anyone.

Awful cocky in my opinion to love the idea of a statue of myself being erected after my death.

Disclaimer: Dungeons and Dragons has given me years of gaming fun with friends and family. Thanks Gary, for that. But also thanks to Dave Arneson, who doesn't get near the recognition he should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
historyguy71 wrote:
Yes, and perhaps we should find some way to get a statue of Dave Arneson right next to it.

Hah! Envision this - a park in quarters with a fountain in the middle. To each cardinal direction, a bronze on a plinth. To the north looking south, Gygax. To the south looking north, Arneson. Suitably scholarly and regal bronzes such as one might find on an ivy covered campus are envisioned. Perhaps Gygax with books and dice. Arneson in fantasy adventure gear.

Who shall inhabit the east and west?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
historyguy71 wrote:
Awful cocky in my opinion to love the idea of a statue of myself being erected after my death.

My wife has repeatedly insisted she have a pyramid.

You know. Giza style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Hah! Envision this - a park in quarters with a fountain in the middle. To each cardinal direction, a bronze on a plinth. To the north looking south, Gygax. To the south looking north, Arneson. Suitably scholarly and regal bronzes such as one might find on an ivy covered campus are envisioned. Perhaps Gygax with books and dice. Arneson in fantasy adventure gear.

Who shall inhabit the east and west?

I say Sid Sackson should get one of those spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bouncy
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This statue will give Lake Geneva a +5 on their tourism rolls...

but seriously..I hope they build it and I hope they sell mini gary statues...which will replace all my meeples and pawns in every game I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think GG at a old wooden desk, with a oil lamp for light, working on some manuscript (on parchment of course) with a tiny dragon familiar would be cool.

I don't think he would want big and elaborate, just interesting and curious. Maybe some hidden messgaes on it or some puzzle?

P.S. I was horribly busy when GG passed and never proclaimed my sadness at his passing and my thankfulness for his works.

RIP GG and thanks for many fond childhood memories. D&D was a big part of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be fitting would be to have a trapdoor in one section of the sidewalk next to the statue that would drop occupants into a pit filled with Nerf type balls. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if people will travel to see a giant ball of twine, folks will come see this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
historyguy71 wrote:

Yes, and perhaps we should find some way to get a statue of Dave Arneson right next to it. He had as much to do with the success of D&D as anyone.

Maybe the statue of Gary will have a tiny statue of Dave Arneson being squashed underfoot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
historyguy71 wrote:

Maybe the statue of Gary will have a tiny statue of Dave Arneson being squashed underfoot...

Poor Dave...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle Bouncy wrote:
This statue will give Lake Geneva a +5 on their tourism rolls...

but seriously..I hope they build it and I hope they sell mini gary statues...which will replace all my meeples and pawns in every game I own.

That's the last thing Lake Geneva needs is a bonus on tourism rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Martinez
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
historyguy71 wrote:

Disclaimer: Dungeons and Dragons has given me years of gaming fun with friends and family. Thanks Gary, for that. But also thanks to Dave Arneson, who doesn't get near the recognition he should.

Hear Hear. Had the good fortune to meet them both before they left us for that great Adventure beyond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roberts
United Kingdom
Colwyn Bay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This quote by Gygax's wife from the linked story:-

Quote:
Gail said she and Gary discussed the idea of a memorial statue before he died. He wanted to be cremated. She suggested erecting a statue in Library Park, where he often spent hours reading and writing.

"He loved that idea," she said.

I'd be immediately suspicious of anyone who'd request such a thing as their dying wish. "How would you like to be remembered after you finally go dear?" "Build a statue in my honour". I reckon (and hope) he was probably joking.

All it'll provide, just like any statue for that matter, is something for the local birds to evacuate their bowels onto. The feathered occupants of Lake Geneva are probably already rubbing their wings together at the prospect. Hardly a fitting memorial (unless of course it is dedicated to Gary's attempts at literature, which quite frankly are some of the worst pieces of writing ever published, in which case it would be quite apt. I challenge anyone to read one of his novels in its entirety. It is literally impossible).

His memory will live on whenever anyone plays one of his games, which will be for a long time yet. Surely that's a more fitting memorial to the man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Alonso
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gygax is dead. His worries are over. Help meeeeee!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Straight To Hell wrote:
Quote:
Gail said she and Gary discussed the idea of a memorial statue before he died. He wanted to be cremated. She suggested erecting a statue in Library Park, where he often spent hours reading and writing.

"He loved that idea," she said.

I'd be immediately suspicious of anyone who'd request such a thing as their dying wish. "How would you like to be remembered after you finally go dear?" "Build a statue in my honour". I reckon (and hope) he was probably joking.

I reckon you didn't read the passage you quoted, which indicates that it wasn't Gary who suggested the idea. There's a big difference between that and being touched that someone else would suggest it.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Something like this.

And bigger. More bigger.

Of course, the sword would be a +5 Holy Avenger...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.