Subject: Balloons floating into the sky rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Went for a swim at the beach after work.

At the surf club on a balcony over-looking the beach there was a gathering of people. Some faint music drifted down occasionally.
After some time they gathered together into a throng.

When I next looked they had released 60 helium balloons with gift-wrapper strings. The sea breeze blew them away as they rose ito the air, the late afternoon sun sparkling off the strings. The mild wind gusts would deform the formation as as they passed through.

I saw a couple of women from the group as I was getting into my car.
"The balloons looked great". "Mmmm, it was a funeral for a 1 year old baby", came the reply
"Sad".

Enjoy it while you've got it folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was thinking the same thing, honestly. I feel sorry for the family and I know they were just trying to honor the memory of their baby but really that was the worst way to do it. Not that I would tell them that.

It's too bad that "release a butterfly" thing hasn't caught on more and been more accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Quit your fretting folks, the wind is not going to move the balloons out to sea inside the next week. The sea turtles are safe from these balloons. Go back to enjoying your lives.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
Quit your fretting folks, the wind is not going to move the balloons out to sea inside the next week. The sea turtles are safe from these balloons. Go back to enjoying your lives.

The balloons are terrible for the environment no matter where they land.

But in the end it's a pretty small drop in the bucket anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Insensitive Greenists.

Bigoted generalisers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
HavocIsHere wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Insensitive Greenists.

Bigoted generalisers :)

Mortal, both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper cranes would have also been more appropriate. But who has the time to do such a labor of honor and love when you can buy some baloons at WalMart instead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like those roadside memorials. "Hey Dad look at the ancestor worship totem in the median" "What ... RRRRRRT. Sa-LIDE...Sa-MASH!!!!!!!.

"Hey Martha were gunna'need another of them there totems."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Paper cranes would have also been more appropriate. But who has the time to do such a labor of honor and love when you can buy some baloons at WalMart instead...

I imagine that they had other things on their minds besides the need to make paper cranes. If I had a child and it were to die when it was one, I probably wouldn't be in the frame of mind to consider the environmental impact of my releasing of some balloons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Pinook wrote:

Back in the '70s, my elementary school did a project where the kids released balloons and the kid whose balloon went the furthest won a prise. We were East Coast, US and some balloons made it to the West Coast, US. I don't think any made it to Europe. Which is strange considering weather patterns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

I imagine that they had other things on their minds besides the need to make paper cranes. If I had a child and it were to die when it was one, I probably wouldn't be in the frame of mind to consider the environmental impact of my releasing of some balloons.

Yeah, but would you even be in a frame of mind to buy balloons? Or anything? I sure wouldn't. I'm sure someone else had to have set this up for them; all in all a nice gesture no matter the environmental impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:

I also considered the possibility of inadverdently triggering nuclear Armageddon:

YES HIDEOUS 80'S NUCLEAR SCARE ROCK I LOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUUU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rcbevco wrote:
It's like those roadside memorials. "Hey Dad look at the ancestor worship totem in the median" "What ... RRRRRRT. Sa-LIDE...Sa-MASH!!!!!!!.

"Hey Martha were gunna'need another of them there totems."

Very cunning business strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sounds like an opportunity... someone needs to make edible/biodegradable balloons for just this type of scenario. Surely it can't be that hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
Sounds like an opportunity... someone needs to make edible/biodegradable balloons for just this type of scenario.

"Next time your child dies, why not release Funbags(TM) brand balloons? They're the only edible brand of the toy which kills more children by suffocation than any other!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.