Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished my solo game of Red Storm over the Reich today, with a Soviet auto-victory in turn 4. It could easily have gone on to the end, as the Germans missed a 50% chance to evacuate a refugee unit that would have brought them back under the auto-victory threshold.

To summarise how it turned out: the initial Soviet attack was massively successful along the Vistula south of Warsaw, eliminating or surrounding all but a few German divisions. The Poles took Warsaw, but north of there the Germans held the Vistula line without suffering heavy casualties. The Baltic Fronts did a fair bit of damage to the Germans in East Prussia, but not enough to shatter the defences. By the end of the first turn, then, the Soviets had advanced as far as Upper Silesia in the south. The front then curved to the northeast, where the Germans were pulling back from the Vistula in a northwesterly direction, trying to establish a defensible line and prevent a pocket forming in East Prussia.
Turn 2 saw the Soviets surging further west before the spring mud slowed them down, to the point where logistics would become a problem. With no forces sufficient to form a coherent line in the south, the Germans resorted to fortress tactics. A few panzer divisions launched a counterattack against a dangerous Soviet penetration just east of Konigsberg, and succeeded spectacularly. However, the critical cities of Thorn, Posen, Glogau and Breslau were under the guns of the Red Army. Both these turns saw some terrible German movement rolls, which meant that several units in critical sectors were trapped in loose pockets and destroyed.
Turn 3 brought mud and the Soviet Supply Strain, which really slowed the Red Army down. Breslau and Thorn fell, but Posen, Liegnitz and Glogau held out. A Soviet mechanised corps managed to cut the last railway line to East Prussia near Elbing, but another counterattack restored the critical supply line. To the west, the Soviet spearheads approached the Neisse-Oder line at Gorlitz in the south and at Frankfurt in the centre, leaving very little on their northern flank. Still, there was no chance of Posen, Liegnitz or Glogau being relieved, and these cities duly fell on turn 4, giving the Soviets enough points for the victory.

The map at the end of turn 1:

At and the end of turn 3:

Not the best photos; I kept taking them in the evening, and the plexiglass prevents the use of flash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez - did you even set thte Germans up in the south?

I've never seen them collapse so quickly and completely since they have the ability to escape the pockets (Roving Cauldrons) unless they are airtight.

And I've never seen the cities fall so easily either. Seems like they all went pretty quick. My experience has been a mass of bruising fights for those cities with some holding out for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The south was verging on perfect for the Soviets - the best possible movement rolls (6 for initial movement, 1 for reaction) and excellent combat rolls. I also made extensive use of overruns down there, accepting the casualties. Being OOS, there's only so far the roving pockets can go, and it's not too difficult to ensure that there's nowhere that isn't in a Soviet ZOC. Keep them locked in, and even the KGs disappear quickly.

Decent barrage rolls and some 17+ attacks make garrisoned fortresses disappear quickly, I found. With two turns to attack, it's not too hard to inflict two step losses on the occupants. Get to them quickly, and they can't be reinforced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.