Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very similar to memoir 44 overlord, but I only have CCA basic game. Is this module playable with just the base pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
Germany
Senftenberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Important: In order to play the scenarios in the Commands & Colors: Epic Ancients I expansion, you will need a copy of the basic Commands & Colors: Ancients game and the other expansions, especially Expansion #1 Greece and the Eastern Kingdoms. The other expansions will be very useful: Expansion Nr. 2 Rome vs The Barbarians, and Expansion #3 The Roman Civil Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
Germany
Senftenberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you will need a second board, too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
no problem on the boards (I have 2 memoir desert maps which should be fine)

I hate to buy 3 more expansions just so I can play an epic with my friends

I wonder if I can just substitute units from the original box.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually, the Mem maps are not quite the same (the section lines are not in the same places) but if you're trying to cut corners, I guess it will work.

There are 12 scenarios in this box. SOME of them do require the units you got in the base game box. Others require different armies. As you say, you can 'switch' and ignore that... some.

Two problems.

1. The different armies are not just "same guys, different art and colored blocks." The unit makeup of each army has differences. So some scenario may call for... 5 mounted archers as one example, and you have zero mounted archers in the base game. Even things you DO have may not be enough of-- One of the base armies only has like one archer or one slinger, and there will be epic scenarios calling for more than that.

2nd problem is that, while there are SOME scenarios which can be fulfilled by the contents of a single army, SOME of them call for more units than a single army has. So your Romans might have 4 medium cavalry (and I'm just making that number up) but a scenario may call for 8 medium cavalry... or 12 Heavy Infantry and neither of your armies has that many.

So sorry to disappoint, but it would be MORE disappointing, I would think, to buy something you can't use very much.

If you just want to TRY the Epic system with little cost, buy Expansion #3- Roman Civil Wars. It's not very expensive (about $20 from on line discounters) and DOES include one of the nice mounted maps in the right proportions, plus it adds units to your gray roman army and other units to a 'red' roman army (that comes in Exp 2), but which YOU might add to your Carthaginian army (red, brown... fairly close). You'll get a nice chunk of single map scenarios, plus six for "epic" that, with the additional blocks you've picked up here, you may be able to mostly field. Some units will still be a problem (mounted archers are really a Xp 1 thing-- and added to in the upcoming Exp 4), but you'll be a lot closer to able to meet basic force needs...plus, you can try this right now and not wait til September.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, 4 out of the 12 scenarios use gray romans and carthage. Six use Greeks and/or Eastern folks (Exp 1) and 2 use Barbarians.

The other possible issue with "just the base game" is that some Epic scenarios use more than just one army's troops-- maybe the gray romans have six Auxilia (and I'm just pulling a number of out the air). A scenario might call for them to have 8 Auxilia, and the players normally draft units from other armies.

So you can do most of Epic 2 with base game plus Expansion 1. Currently.
(There are more scenarios on the way!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.