Subject: Silverlight update : video contents for XP (Artscow) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'm on dial-up. To update Silverlight for Artscow they offer me the choice of watching a video of how to uninstall the old version or watching a video of how to uninstall the old version.

The data contained in the video (I'm on dial-up and feeling vicious)

1 Log in as Administrator
2 Close all browsers
3 Go to "Start" > Control Panel > Add?remove Programs > Microsoft Silverlight > Yes or No? > Yes

Well done Microsoft. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just go to Silverlight.net and the new version will install. It's very painless. Don't blame Microsoft for Artscow's site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
robcannonsoftware wrote:
Just go to Silverlight.net and the new version will install. It's very painless. Don't blame Microsoft for Artscow's site.

As I was at
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/get-started/install/def...
its now OK with you if I describe Microsoft as the most useless, timewasting, bloodsucking, bottomfeeding, wastes of space in the world?

Perhaps you'll now join me in condemning these parasites to eternal damnation?

edit: "#
Verify your system requirements
Make sure you are running a Silverlight-compatible Windows operating system and browser and that you have uninstalled any previous version of Silverlight or code name "WPF/E."

lol
Your assumptions are erroneous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have installed a pre-release or developers edition, it is assumed that you know what you are doing.

I make a living developing software and Silverlight has been a great platform (far easier to develop for than Flash). I prefer working with technologies that make my life easier and Microsoft has been awesome in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
robcannonsoftware wrote:
If you have installed a pre-release or developers edition, it is assumed that you know what you are doing.

I make a living developing software and Silverlight has been a great platform (far easier to develop for than Flash). I prefer working with technologies that make my life easier and Microsoft has been awesome in that area.

I don't know what you are talking about.
I used Artscow and now Microsoft is doing another of its little brain farts. Text instructions are a reasonable expectation.

I'm just a little bit glad that Microsoft is making your life easier.
Someday I hope they get that happening for their domestic users too. How I wish I was smart enough to use Linux.

edit: If you are correct and version 2.0.40115.0, which I just uninstalled, was a pre-release then Microsoft was again at fault as it did not warn me that it was assumed that I knew what I was doing.

Its great having a straight guy helping allow the many disappointments and hours wasted by Microsoft products come back into the minds of their poor customers. Your apparent attitude that any fault must be on my part certainly helps make the experience more realistic. I must admit though that on my last few interactions with Microsoft trained people they seemed to be using "complaint judo" which involved acknowledging the problem and asking how I would like to see it addressed. Note that in the OP I actually gave a solution to the problem.

Now if you wish to continue to help me drag Microsoft's name through the sewers; what shall we focus on next? Microsoft's historic contribution to internet fraud and spyware?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
Text instructions are a reasonable expectation.

Well, I just did this myself a few minutes, and that's exactly what I got.

Went to the Artscow page, tried to open a previous design, got a version error message with a link to a MS page, clicked on that, it said "You're running version x.xx, click here to download the newer version".

Did that, saved the file. Closed Firefox, ran the file, started the browser, everything done and complete. No need for uninstalling old versions.

Not sure how you ended up in video and non-text hell, but it looks like it's changed now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.