United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to start making some more tuckboxes, and after reading some of the threads elsewhere on this site, I decided to try adhesive rollers instead of white glue to construct them.

At the local craft store they had four different brands of permanent rollers, so I bought all four and ran a test. Here are the results:

Uhu glue roller, US$5.99 for 12m/39ft

I had great hopes for the Uhu brand, since their office glue pens are used a lot for papercraft. It went on really easy, being a system of microdots of glue instead of one long strip.

After waiting for it to dry, I pulled apart the paper and it came apart quite easily without either side ripping. Not very satisfying.

I tried it again, really putting on a lot of glue all over the sheet, and it was better this time, but not great. There were still areas where the glue had failed and not the paper.

The Craft Collection Adhesive Power Bond (Tombow Mono), US$4.99 for an unknown length.

Next I tried the Mono brand which was the one recommended in another thread, although not exactly this version.

The tape went on as a solid bar, and when it came to pulling the paper apart, the paper ripped instead of the glue failing. Woot! Some results I liked.

Xyron 3/8in Adhesive Runner, US$9.99 for 8.5m/28ft.

This was by far the coolest looking of the set, not that it matters at all. Again, this used the microdots of glue, and again it came apart fairly easily, although some paper did rip when I separated the sides.

Ad Tech Permanent Glue Runner, US$2.99 for 8m/26.25ft.

Like the Mono, this one was a solid bar of glue. When it came time to separate the sheets, it destroyed the paper, the best yet. However, getting this one on was a bit messy, so that has to be taken into account.

Final analysis:

I'd definitely avoid the microdot version of the glue runners, and stick with the solids. While the Ad Tech one held like a champ, the Mono one wasn't much worse, and definitely applied neater. I'll probably use up both, then get whichever is still in stock when I need more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice test!

What kind of paper did you use for the test?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:

After waiting for it to dry, I pulled apart the paper and it came apart quite easily without either side ripping. Not very satisfying.

To the best of my knowledge, that's how the microdot glue is designed. I know people who use it for scrapbooking, and it lets them fix mistakes or make changes easily without wrecking their paper or photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:

What kind of paper did you use for the test?

110# cover stock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
bengkohn wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, that's how the microdot glue is designed. I know people who use it for scrapbooking, and it lets them fix mistakes or make changes easily without wrecking their paper or photos.

It said permanent, there were others touting their ability to be repositioned. If this is the case, they need to work on their terminology

Maybe more time is needed. I'll see how they are after 24 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife sells Creative Memories scrapbooking supplies and I always use her tape runners. They are double-sided tape designed for sticking pictures to scrapbooks.

The tape sticks the tuckbox very solidly (I've never had one come undone) and there is no drying time. Also it takes just a couple of seconds to use. I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your conclusions!

bengkohn wrote:
It said permanent, there were others touting their ability to be repositioned. If this is the case, they need to work on their terminology

Maybe more time is needed. I'll see how they are after 24 hours.

Some scrapbook adhesives are designed to be immediately repositionable, but become permanent with time. I don't know if that's the case with Uhu or not, though.

I personally like Terrifically Tacky tape (roll of tape that comes with a red backing). It's pretty strong, not messy, and comes in a variety of widths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
After 12 hours and several tuck boxes, I've got some new data.

The microdot glue runners firm up after time, so that they stick a lot better.

The solid line of glue is rather annoying to work with compared to the microdots.

I'm going to switch to one of the microdot ones and see if I'm happier. After all there's little difference between "it never came undone," and "it *really* never came undone." I suspect that both application methods will result in a permanent gluing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Good reviews!

The microdots are cool, but they don't hold long term. You've noticed that they stick better after a few hours. After a few days you may see them come apart on their own

You can get some fairly industrial double sided tape dispensers. The solid tape does hold better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought about using glue rollers. I use double-sided adhesive tape.

(Doesn't need to be TESA)
This sticks like hell and can easily be used to cover bigger surfaces, e.g. if you glue something to cardboard.
The advantage is, that you can put tape on every flap before starting to glue the box together, so there are no sticky parts. Then you remove the protective paper from each flap, glue it and move to the next.

And it should be a lot cheaper. 50mm x 5m should cost a few dollars. Much better than the rollers. And you don't need to wait for it to dry.
And when i say it sticks like hell, than it does. If you try to separate the parts again the paper layers will rip apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Have you ever tried this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
Have you ever tried this one?

I didn't try the dot rollers (the ones that put out a row of big dots). I don't really know why...

I'll drop by the store and get one of those today or tomorrow and report back. And now I need to wait some more to see if the microdots, after not working, then waiting and working, will now fail in a few days or weeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.