Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very busy lately. Too busy to fill up the car on a regular basis, or shop for food.

So today I pulled into the gas station on empty and really filled 'er up. Then went to the grocery store and restocked my fridge and freezer.

Next up was a visit to the liquor store 'cause the guys cleaned me out of beer and wine last game night. (Mainly Adrian "8 beers" Larson, though Christian and Jared put a good dent in my supply too.)

2-sixes of beer and 4 bottles of wine and... my credit card was declined. What the ??!! There's no way that should happen. So I pull out the other one and pay and drive home...

... To a message on my answering machine from my credit card company asking me to contact them due to "potentially fraudulent activity" concerning my card.

I'm over 21. I can buy beer if I want to! But since I don't normally buy "so much" beer at once...

Apparently I fell into the "Thelma and Louise" pattern of spending...

Gas up, "stock up", and get the hell out of Dodge!

Not so easy when you apparently have a "parental lock" on your credit card. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a monthly charge on my credit card for the servers I rent for my business. One time, my credit card got locked up, and when I called the credit card company to ask why (I was way below my limit and had paid in full on time every month), they said there was "suspicious activity," which was this monthly payment. When I got angry and pointed out that this payment had come out monthly for THE PAST FOUR YEARS, and *NOW* they decide is is "suspicious" and cause for shutting down my credit card, they acted all surprised. "Well, we're just trying to keep you safe from fraud and theft." I'm all for that, but do you have to be a bunch of utter morons about it? It's like having Gilligan as my auditor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably see that you just spend a large amount of money and saw a difference in spending patterns. It's happened to me before, buying stuff on labor day. But just explain it to them and they will unlock your card. It was very quick and simple for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
(I was way below my limit and had paid in full on time every month)

Well then, you're a bad customer and they are probably trying to get you to change banks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
But just explain it to them and they will unlock your card. It was very quick and simple for me.

Yeah, it was quickly cleared up with the phone call, but the most amusing thing to me was they said that what flagged it was the "large" liquor purchase. Large?!! Good heavens, I'd hate to try to buy a CASE of beer or wine some day. shake I guess there's no way I'm going to become a heavy drinker as long as I hold onto this credit card! Unless I do it one bottle at a time. (Can I get that in an extra-large?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just use debit to buy your booze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
That would cause me to dump 'em ASAP.
I've been planning to dump them ASAP for a long time. But switching credit cards is the kind of thing that I'm always planning on doing "soon" but never seem to do now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
wmshub wrote:
I have a monthly charge on my credit card for the servers I rent for my business. One time, my credit card got locked up, and when I called the credit card company to ask why (I was way below my limit and had paid in full on time every month), they said there was "suspicious activity," which was this monthly payment. When I got angry and pointed out that this payment had come out monthly for THE PAST FOUR YEARS, and *NOW* they decide is is "suspicious" and cause for shutting down my credit card, they acted all surprised. "Well, we're just trying to keep you safe from fraud and theft." I'm all for that, but do you have to be a bunch of utter morons about it? It's like having Gilligan as my auditor.

That would cause me to dump 'em ASAP.

(Didn't we just have a thread on stupid credit card companies here?)

Agreed. I would dump them and go with someone else. Who knows if another monthly charge would go unnoticed until it was too late and it was illegitamite. Doesn't sound like much protection from them anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to work out if you're Thelma or Louise. Can't decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

//taking Jon by the hand and speaking very slowly and distinctly

Jon,--ahem, neither, she's Diane!!

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Friendly Neighborhood Hairfarmer
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
badge
The rain in Spain falls mainly on Edmonds
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to me every time I get a bit "ebay" happy.
After buying 3 or 4 things in a row, the credit card company calls me to tell me of "potentially fraudulent activity". They make sure it was me buying, before they let the transaction through.

Now when every I buy more then 3 things at a time on ebay, within 10 minutes I get "THE CALL"

It gets a bit annoying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

The one on the left.

Now outta my way, boy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the Geena Davis from "Buffalo Bill." soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got "the call" shortly after I moved to Houston when trying to buy furniture, was very annoying. Before that I got it when I bought my ex an X-Box 360 at GameStop. I'm surprised that was flagged as unusual though since I frequently shopped there (though not usually several hundred dollars at once, admittedly).

Until then the only call I got was actually legit - someone had duplicated my card, pulled out a thousand bucks at one ATM then tried it again a half hour later at another one. I didn't have to pay anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.