James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tole wrote:
I prefer games that have a Christian or Historical theme, but in the case of Christian games, most of them seem bad.

Most of them are (the ones I've played anyways), but I do not think that it is because they are "Christian" or "Religious" but because they fall under the category of "Educational". I say this because more Christian themed games intentions are also to teach rather than have a fun game.

So what is some more information about you? Who do you play with in your house mainly? You have D&D, does it get played much? (I have three different editions of D&D at my house, but it never gets played, so I thought I would ask)

What games you should get next not only depend on what you would like but on what the other people you play with on a regular basis would like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a similar topic a month ago, and 15 new games later I still don't have something of everything.

Good luck.

Are there any particular historical periods you/your family is interested in?

Edit: For two player historical games...you could look into Twilight Struggle or Court of the Medici perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to replace Clue with Mystery of the Abbey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tole wrote:
Quote:
For two player historical games...you could look into Twilight Struggle or Court of the Medici perhaps?

Court of the Medici seems interesting, I'll keep that one in mind.

Quote:
Why would you want to replace Clue with Mystery of the Abbey?

They're both "detective" games, right?
Clue is brong to me, especially with two players. I like the theme of MotA, and it seems to be more varied than Clue(do).

I think 2 player Mystery of the Abbey would not be very good. If you want a 2 player game with a detective theme, try Mr. Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Clue and Mystery of the Abbey really need at least 3 players. If you want a good deduction game for two you could try Bakerstreet. Not the same kind of game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a couple of months ago, I was just starting a collection as well. I've found a couple games that I think are great for starting any collection. I'm only a sample of one, but each of these games has been well-recieved by a playing group of at least six people. You can take a look at the comments I've made in my game collection to see where I'm coming from. And keep in mind, I'm still relatively a neophyte!

Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are both excellent games for starting a collection. My wife and I particularly like Carcassonne for two player games. Mystery of the Abbey has been a big hit with my family, and it is a definite improvement on Cluedo. If you like Cluedo even a little bit, this should be a safe purchase.

If you want a racing game, you could try Formula D. This is a relatively easy game to teach nongamers.

If you want something a bit more complex, you could try Small World or Colosseum. Those have both gone over well with friends and family. Small World in particular can work well as a two player game.

From there, you can learn your preferences as well as the preferences of others and make your choices into greater specialization (meater games? collaborative games?) There's so many choices that it can be overwhelming at first!

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my first recommendation is probably a bit of a duplicate, since you've already got Catan, but since you mentioned Christian AND Historical, The Settlers of Canaan was actually a big hit at our church.

As for rounding out a collection...

Racing Game: Snow Tails

Dexterity AND Racing Game: PitchCar Mini

Economy (besides Monopoly): Container

Cooperative: Shadows over Camelot - Okay, not exactly historical, but at our library game night it did get people checking out books on King Arthur and company.

Push-Your-Luck/Dice-fest: Can't Stop (or Go Nuts! for the younger crowd)

Strategy and Tile-Laying Combo: Tigris & Euphrates - might be a hit for the chess fans who like brain-burners

Ultra-fast filler - plays up to 8, in 10-15 minutes) and also a great "bait" game to lure in non-gamers who happen to walk by: Tsuro

I'm sure I'll think of more after I hit the Submit button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a very good 2-4 player abstract: Ingenious.

Is the Lord of the Rings theme a put off for you? Its a wonderful game, with or without expansions.

You might like some of the Kramer and Kiesling area-majority games. Mexica is a favorite of mine, and it is somewhat more streamlined than El Grande or Tikal.

Do economic games interest you at all? One of the best is Chicago Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As previously mentioned:
Ticket to Ride and Ingenious are good games that are on the simple side. A lot of people seem to like them (including me).

You might also check out San Juan, which is a card game about the development of a city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am always on the quest for a well rounded collection. If you're looking for Christian games, you're right, you won't find anything good that strictly marketed as a Christian game. Having said that, there are some great games out there that you'll like that have family themes. Off the top of my head I'd recommend:

Notre Dame Look, it's got a church in it!

The Pillars of the Earth Cool, another church!

Carcassonne Monasteries are as good as churches.

PitchCar A balanced collection need a dexterity/action game

Metropolys I wanted to recommend Ra, but this is a close relative, without the Egyptian gods.

Ticket to Ride Everyone loves this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tole wrote:

Does anyone know other games that I can add, so I can have a little bit of every genre? I prefer games that have a Christian or Historical theme, but in the case of Christian games, most of them seem bad.

Welcome to the beginning of the end. "A little bit of every genre" is the BGG equivalent of, "I like marijuana, but I bet one shot of Heroin will round out my drug-taking experience and then I'll be done forver!"

You should get a lot of responses here because so many of us have gone down this same path (and it typically leads to closets FULL of games).

That said...welcome!

here's a couple cents from me:

Genre: Area Control - El Grande
Genre: Worker Placement - Agricola or Caylus
Genre: Dexterity - Subbuteo or PitchCar
Genre: Auction - Modern Art or Power Grid or The Princes of Florence
Genre: Role selection - I'd choose San Juan first and graduate to Race for the Galaxy later
Genre: Trivia - Wits & Wagers
Genre: Co-Op - Pandemic
Genre: Tile Laying - Galaxy Trucker
Genre: Ameri-trash / multiplayer conflict - Nexus Ops if you can find it. (I hate using out of print games for these recommendations but really...Nexus Ops is too perfect)
Genre: Wargames - Don't get into wargames if you want to keep your collection small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some that the Lady and I enjoy, and cover a good portion of game types and genres. I try not to repeat any recommendations that are mentioned above. None are Christian themed, but all are fairly accessible. Some are 'game-ier' than others, but all of them work very well with two players.

Arkadia
Prophecy
Sorry! Sliders
Ticket to Ride: Switzerland
Mesopotamia
Tikal
Domaine
Thebes
Taluva
Elasund: The First City
Runebound (Second Edition)
Candamir: The First Settlers
Ingenious
Blokus Duo
Through the Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as 2 player casual gamer games, I think Traders of Osaka, Pandemic, and Arimaa all play well with 2 and are pretty easy to learn. And with Arimaa, you can use your chess set and just print out the rules. Good luck expanding your collection (I'm working on mine as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:

Metropolys I wanted to recommend Ra, but this is a close relative, without the Egyptian gods.

Have to disagree here. I don't think they are related at all. Ra is pure auction game with perfect information, that is, no hidden bid ability. The board you are bidding on rarely gets worse on each subsequent turn.

In Metropolys on the other hand the second time it's your turn to bid, there is a good chance it's a worthless location to you. There is also no sense of the press your luck element that is very prevalent in Ra.

Ra is a GREAT game, Metropolys not so much.

I might recommend Ys as a good Ystari game that mixes auctioning and area control better than Metropolys. While still not really close to Ra, I would think it better then Metropolys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tole wrote:

The games that are next on my list, are Carcassonne/Ark of the Covenant and Mystery of the Abbey.

Does anyone know other games that I can add, so I can have a little bit of every genre? I prefer games that have a Christian or Historical theme, but in the case of Christian games, most of them seem bad.

Thanks in advance.

I think that Ark of the Covenant (if you can still find a copy) is a decent Carcassonne variant, but both it and the base game pale in comparison with Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers.

The base game is just sort of bland and has a somewhat lacking tile mix, whereas Ark has the improved "farmer" scoring from H&G, but replaces the excellent bonus tile mechanic with a "moving the ark" component. Also, I like the fishing hut/river system interaction in H&G better than the roads in the other two.

/kgm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't bother with Mystery of the Abbey. It's NOT a fun game. I introduced it to several groups and no one liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
Welcome to the beginning of the end. "A little bit of every genre" is the BGG equivalent of, "I like marijuana, but I bet one shot of Heroin will round out my drug-taking experience and then I'll be done forver!"

Good list! Stolen to be modified:

Genre: Area Control - El Grande Doge Doge bears a superficial resemblance to Monopoly: build enough houses and you get a hotel palace.
Genre: Worker Placement - Agricola or Caylus Stone Age Both are a bit heavy.
Genre: Dexterity - Subbuteo or PitchCar (my preference)
Genre: Auction - Modern Art or Power Grid or The Princes of Florence or For Sale or Dream Factory (Traumfabrik) Power Grid is too much an economic game and not enough an auction game
Genre: Role selection - I'd choose San Juan first and graduate to Race for the Galaxy later Citadels Simpler.
Genre: Trivia - Wits & Wagers (No opinion)
Genre: Co-Op - Pandemic (No better game in print, but it gets old fast for some)
Genre: Tile Laying - Galaxy Trucker Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers A classic for a reason, H&G is smoother than the original and you don't need expansions; alternately get the Carcassonne Big Box
Genre: Ameri-trash / multiplayer conflict - Nexus Ops if you can find it. (I hate using out of print games for these recommendations but really...Nexus Ops is too perfect) Yep! But the smell of the game may be too offensive--buy it from some place that takes returns
Genre: Wargames - Don't get into wargames if you want to keep your collection small Small World Not a traditional war game, but direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
baditude wrote:

Good list! Stolen to be modified:

Genre: Area Control - El Grande Doge Doge bears a superficial resemblance to Monopoly: build enough houses and you get a hotel palace.
Genre: Worker Placement - Agricola or Caylus Stone Age Both are a bit heavy.
Genre: Dexterity - Subbuteo or PitchCar (my preference)
Genre: Auction - Modern Art or Power Grid or The Princes of Florence or For Sale or Dream Factory (Traumfabrik) Power Grid is too much an economic game and not enough an auction game
Genre: Role selection - I'd choose San Juan first and graduate to Race for the Galaxy later Citadels Simpler.
Genre: Trivia - Wits & Wagers (No opinion)
Genre: Co-Op - Pandemic (No better game in print, but it gets old fast for some)
Genre: Tile Laying - Galaxy Trucker Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers A classic for a reason, H&G is smoother than the original and you don't need expansions; alternately get the Carcassonne Big Box
Genre: Ameri-trash / multiplayer conflict - Nexus Ops if you can find it. (I hate using out of print games for these recommendations but really...Nexus Ops is too perfect) Yep! But the smell of the game may be too offensive--buy it from some place that takes returns
Genre: Wargames - Don't get into wargames if you want to keep your collection small Small World Not a traditional war game, but direct conflict.

heh. I'm flattered!

Your modifications are fine suggestions to be sure. A quick explanation of some of my picks that didn't make Walt's list.

PowerGrid (for me) is simply too good to leave out. I stuck it in the auction category because it relies heavily on this mechanic. But Walt it correct that it is much more than just an auction game.

San Juan is one of my most played games but I never play it anymore. To me it is the best introduction to the sort of game that Race for the Galaxy (and perhaps Glory to Rome...which I havent played yet) improve upon. Citadels I have only played once but I think is probably a fine choice as well.

I realize Galaxy Truckers is probably an unconventional choice for the "tile laying" genre but I just love it. Probably not as elegant or streamlined as the Carc's and Alhambras out there, but it has such a distinct and unique feel to it that I thought it would add some nice variety to my list that other options couldn't provide. PLus I happen to love it!

Small World *smacks head* now why didn't _I_ think of that. You may also be able to substitute this one for Nexus Ops if you cant find it. But seriously....find Nexus Ops.

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker has two flaws for a game that should reflect a whole genre.

First, it's a game with time pressure, which means it relies on physical coordination and quick judgment: it's a mechanism that's unsuited to children, very old people, or people with some medical problems.

Second, it involves spacial skills to rotate the pieces in your mind, under time pressure. People with high levels of this skill will just walk over people who have low levels. Worse, the skill is gender-linked.

Power Grid is a good game, but people tend to be hot or cold on it. Many people feel all the turns before the last are so much alike it's boring, and the last turn can be too random. It's also a little complex. Given it's available, I'd say the best choice might be Traumfabrik, which many people consider far better than Hollywood Blockbuster, even though they're mechanically identical. On the other hand For Sale is a terrific gateway game, and one of the few pure auction games that doesn't crash and burn with bad players, as Modern Art does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
On the other hand For Sale is a terrific gateway game, and one of the few pure auction games that doesn't crash and burn with bad players, as Modern Art does.

I completely agree. Go with For Sale if you're looking for an auction game. Modert Art didn't sit well with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

First, it's a game with time pressure, which means it relies on physical coordination and quick judgment: it's a mechanism that's unsuited to children, very old people, or people with some medical problems.

It is something of a "thrill ride". You must be "this tall" to board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cristofani
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents:

Notre Dame is great. The Princes of Florence is great too, but it's best with five players or at least four. So forget it if you'll rarely have that many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mayhew
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tole wrote:
Quote:
I think 2 player Mystery of the Abbey would not be very good. If you want a 2 player game with a detective theme, try Mr. Jack

I realise that it's a 3 player game, but I think I can convince my mother to play this with me. Especially because it's also released in my native tongue.

Let's see, you like Settlers which is a good Euro (although I'm not a fan) and a game in your language would be Flemish (I mean, with a name like Lemmens chances are slim you're a Walloon, right?). I would say give Cuba a try. It is a great eurogame with plenty of mechanics to keep you busy, and most of the fun is just because of the actions you take. And it is available in Dutch (I know, I have a Dutch version).

I don't know how you feel about buying and selling rum and cigars, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis XIV is an interesting worker placement game. It's a little complex and fiddly, but not outrageously so. It's on my think-about-it list, having played it a few times.

Pillars--to me, every game of Pillars started looking the same after the first few plays. If you want the theme over game play, go for it. The ties to the book are action cards linked to the major characters, and each phase of the game being depicted by placing a piece of the cathedral. Notre Dame is also a worker placement game: it's a little more complex, but not up there with Agricola.

Doge is nearly out of print, so if you can find a copy you might want to grab it. As I mentioned, you probably can talk your Monopoly players into it because of its superficial resemblance to Monopoly--no roll and move, or property ownership, but houses to palaces.

Carcassonne is usually classed as a tile laying game, fitting tiles together according to rules. Area control is usually, you have a fixed number of areas which you try to control. Good game, though.

I have to agree with the people who say Mystery at the Abbey offers nothing over Clue/Cluedo. If you're a do-it-yourself type, you might be better served by making an abbey (or whatever) board for Clue, and cards for different characters.

What you seem to be doing here is going for the games with some superficial Christian theme. (And I've played the games you've mentioned. and Canaan and Ark of the Covenant, and they're all superficial.) That's fine, but be aware you're trading better game play for the theme. To meet your other goal of maintaining a small collection, you need the most effective and replayable games possible. Otherwise, you end up with a small collection sitting in the closet. If you got Stone Age and called the tiles (which look like tablets) Commandments, you'd be at the level of religious content in most of these games, and be playing an easier, longer lasting game.

Just my opinion,

As always, the best thing to do is to find a local game club or store where you can try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juomes wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
On the other hand For Sale is a terrific gateway game, and one of the few pure auction games that doesn't crash and burn with bad players, as Modern Art does.

I completely agree. Go with For Sale if you're looking for an auction game. Modert Art didn't sit well with me.

They're actually pretty different; For Sale is a simple game that plays quick and is easy to teach; Modern Art, however, is a great game. I've never had it "crash and burn" (and don't know what that means?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.