Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what a craptacular week.

Last Tuesday evening, I'm leaving my FLGS after a fun night of gaming. A few people are still there finishing off the games they are playing.

I'm driving home on the interstate. The road is wet but it's not actually raining.

All of a sudden, I'm hit, from behind. A witness said the other vehicle was speeding, and lost control on the wet road. That put me into a spin and skid. I had no control whatsoever. Then my front end goes *karunch* as it hits the concrete median, and I'm still skidding and spinning. Airbags deploy, causing the windscreen to break.

I come to a stop. I call the police to let them know what's happened. I get out of the car as I'm calling them to see if I can see an exit sign or mile marker to let them know where I am, but that's hard as the door is crunched a bit. I then call my wife to let her know what's happened. I then update facebook!

Police, ambulance, fire trucks come. They have me sit on the concrete median. Manage to take a picture of the car at the scene.

Not a good way to end up with my car's nose in the fast lane.

No sign of the other vehicle, but other police cars are stopped further up the highway. The aforementioned witness then comes and tells me about what he saw.

EMTs come to check me out, check my spine, nothing hurts there. Under other circumstances, the EMT says, he'd have been happy to let me go. But given the state of my car, he'd rather I go to the hospital to get checked out. They put a neckbrace on me, put me on a hard board, and get me into the ambulance. While I'm in there, the police officer asks me about what happened (I really don't know how many times I described what happened, and what pains I was feeling that night). I ask him to call my wife, let her know what's going on, get insurance info from her, and let her know which hospital I'm going to. I also ask him to get my laptop out of the car (the one thing in there I'm really concerned about. I didn't have any games with me as I was running late that morning). He brings that to the ambulance and we head to the hospital. They try several times to get an IV into me. Apparently not easy. EMT also mentions that the people in the other car refused treatment.

I arrive there. My symptoms are bruising on my chest (likely from the seat belt), and sore throat (from the fumes entering the cabin, mostly from the airbag deploy probably, but possibly other fumes from the engine compartment). They X-ray me, give me a CAT scan. Try to draw blood, but again, have difficulty getting a needle into me. I'm not sure how many times I was stuck!

My wife arrives, cries a bit, but glad to see I'm essentially OK. Eventually they give me the all clear. Just some bruised ribs. "Tonight's the best you'll feel for the next week or more" says one of the nurses. How right she was. Get home at 2am. Update Facebook.

Next morning, get a friend to take me to the City towing department to release the car to the insurance company, get what I could out of it and of course, look at the damage.

Here's where the other vehicle hit me:

Here's where it hit the concrete median:

Here's the view of the inside, including other bits they shoved in the car from the road:

This week I've been aching, in pain when I laugh, in pain when I turn over in bed. I managed to borrow a friend's vehicle over the weekend, but right now, we're back to one car in the family. With our non-matching work hours, this is a difficulty, though I do have some option to work from home if necessary.

One of my gaming friends who was still playing when I left the event told me he'd seen a silver car (mine) being hauled up onto a tow truck, and another car a little further up, facing the wrong way, with people getting stuff out of it.

Lots of phone calls to make. Have a lead on a car to buy, but we really want to pay cash, and use the cash from our emergency fund and from the insurance. The adjuster hasn't yet seen the vehicle (or at least, hasn't yet uploaded the report to the insurer). I managed to get hold of the policeman yesterday to try and find out more.

The good news is the other party admitted fault. The bad news, he was uninsured. I do have uninsured motorists coverage, so I should be OK there for the medical coverage, but I don't have rental coverage on my policy. Under normal circumstances, I could (subject to cashflow) rent a car, and then make a claim against the at-fault party's insurance. That's no longer an option unless I decide to sue the other party directly. I can also expect to see my deductible go bye-bye.

So, all in all, feeling a bit rough right now. Both physically and mentally.

But I'm still playing at least one game each day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Timotheous wrote:
The bad news, he was uninsured.

shake

Glad you're still breathing.

F8HFUL - nice

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you are ok. Car accidents are a sucky thing to go through. Keep on trucking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you still have your health. That sucks about the other driver not having insurance!! I say sue'em.

I hope everything works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeesh. Is it legal to be uninsured in your parts? Some states make insurance mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has seen first hand the horrors of car accidents, and having to cut up cars to get people out of them, I am sincerely glad you are ok.

Is it a no-fault system where you are? I know here in the case of an accident when you lose use of your car, the other insurance company is responsible for getting you a rental car to use in the meantime, or your own insurance company will foot the bill and go after the other for the rental costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Yeesh. Is it legal to be uninsured in your parts? Some states make insurance mandatory.

Unfortunately, that is not much help to those who are insured. I have been involved in three uninsured accidents, two of them hit & run. Usually in those situations, your own insurance takes over. Typically there is a smaller deductible to pay, which is good, but not as good as paying zero if the other party was properly insured. Medical coverage is taken care of. Vehicular damage can be harder to recover I've found though. I also found that my premiums went up at the next renewal period, even though none of these accidents were my fault. Hopefully you have a good insurance company who will take care of you Timothy. It does help that the other party has already admitted fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are ok mate, that was a health dose of damage to the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
In Missouri, it is mandatory to provide proof of car insurance in order to be licensed. The problem is, that there is no enforcement beyond that so when someone loses their insurance (either by non-payment or outright cancellation) they can continue to drive uninsured. This is quite a problem considering for drivers 21-69, renewal time is 6 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
If your car isn't totaled, trade it in as is. The dealer will often figure on repairing the damage wholesale, while you'll get a check for retail repairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The car is totalled. Estimated cost to repair, $11,000-$13,000. My estimate of vehicle value using kelly blue book online, around $4,000.

So, car hunting we go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
The car is totalled. Estimated cost to repair, $11,000-$13,000. My estimate of vehicle value using kelly blue book online, around $4,000.

So, car hunting we go.

11,000 to repair? It doesn't look *that* bad. Give me a couple days. *Taps hood* yeah, that'll buff out.

Also, nice iPod charging cable you have there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
unixrevolution wrote:
Also, nice iPod charging cable you have there

Easily worth $6, used. So you're looking at $4006.

Keep positive.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck mate, and count your blessings. This could've ended up far worse than it did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:

11,000 to repair? It doesn't look *that* bad.

It doesn't need to look totaled to be it. Look at the door line and the window is shattered. I guess the whole frame is crooked. Of course, you can repair everything, but you won't save any money over a new buy.
Better to scrap the car. Maybe the parts are still worth some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The unisured driver should have to work off his debt to you as your slave (ala Seinfeld)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davestephens wrote:
The unisured driver should have to work off his debt to you as your slave (ala Seinfeld)

He should have to tow your rickshaw so's you can get about until you get another car sorted permanently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
He should have to tow your rickshaw so's you can get about until you get another car sorted permanently.

You want the driver whose reckless driving was the cause for the accident to power your replacement vehicle? Bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yow!

Sorry to hear about that, man. Glad your okay. As I'm only gaming every other week or so lately, I hadn't heard. Perhaps I should sign up for this 'Facebook' that all the kids are going on about.

On the plus side (for me anyway), the next time I miss a game night, I'll be able to say, "well, I least I missed an opportunity to wreck my car".

I had a similar accident six years ago, also by an uninsured driver. (She struck me from behind at a stoplight: she was putting on her makeup in the rear-view mirror and never slowed down).

We were told we could pay court filing fees, and go through taking her to court, and then once we won a judgement, she would probably never pay it anyway. But we could have her wages garnished. But only if we knew what bank she used. But we could hire a private investigator to find that out. WTF?

To be honest, after that experience, I seriously considered canceling my insurance. The uninsured motorist gets all the breaks. No, I didn't do it.

By a weird coincidence, you are the second person I know in a month to be in an accident. If it helps any, at least you didn't have to have your foot amputated.

Yeah, that doesn't actually help any. Sorry to hear about your accident. I guess the Cash for Clunkers program... no, guess not...

Hope to see you at a game night before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been in a devastating car wreck in my life, I know what that feels like. I'm certainly glad you're okay. Hang in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject to my mechanic giving the all clear, and appropriate price negotiations, I hope to have a new (to me) car tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
We want pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.