Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know most card games like this include a "kitty." The bird theme of Rook demands that it be called the "Nest." It's even in the rulebook. I love creating pointless debates about this. The end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Sheephead, we called it "the blind" (or sometimes "the blinds"). This transferred over into Rook frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game group I've ever played with has always without exception always called it the "kitty"...therefore "kitty" is the correct term...regardless of what the rules say! Besides, maybe the "kitty" ate the nest, so there is no more nestshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Every game group I've ever played with has always without exception always called it the "kitty"...therefore "kitty" is the correct term...regardless of what the rules say! Besides, maybe the "kitty" ate the nest, so there is no more nestshake

'kitty' didn't realize that was an eagle's nest - now kitty is breakfast.angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tall
msg tools
We generally call it the "nest", although sometimes it's the "kitty"

My mom is from Blacksburg, VA, (where I learned to play it) and all my relatives from that area of the world call it the "widow." Sounds like "wida" actually LOL

Totally the best four-hand card game....complex enough to have to think, but you can still have conversation and beerz.

Tom in NJ
where Very Few know Rook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe. Our family always called it the "pot" (a la poker). My grandma hated when we called it that, though, so whenever we were playing it with her we had to call it the nest.

Grandma: "A pot's something you cook in or squat over!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TallThomas wrote:
My mom is from Blacksburg, VA, (where I learned to play it) and all my relatives from that area of the world call it the "widow."

I think this is a regional thing. My wife was a Carolina country girl through and through, and all of her family called it the "widow" as well.

I learned to appreciate this fine game from playing with them. The whole family loves games, but they almost always played only card games because my dad-in-law was a country preacher, and if he got a phone call that a member or family in the church needed him, they could simply lay their cards face down on the table and wait until he returned home to resume play.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
TallThomas wrote:
My mom is from Blacksburg, VA, (where I learned to play it) and all my relatives from that area of the world call it the "widow."

I think this is a regional thing. My wife was a Carolina country girl through and through, and all of her family called it the "widow" as well.

I learned to appreciate this fine game from playing with them. The whole family loves games, but they almost always played only card games because my dad-in-law was a country preacher, and if he got a phone call that a member or family in the church needed him, they could simply lay their cards face down on the table and wait until he returned home to resume play.

meeple

I'm very late to the discussion, but I'm from South Carolina and I've never heard it called a "widow". We used kitty mostly, although sometimes nest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.