JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm don't know if this has been brought up before in the Genie thread (and I'm not going to go trawling through 16 pages to find out), so I'm going to start a new thread here.

Do people think that the fact that because cards from the drawpile aren't used as goods, that gameplay on Genie suffers for it?.

I'm not a statistician of any sort, but there are a few examples I can think of:
1) Players who card count well (also because its not exactly real time, players can jot down notes); do they get an advantage, and if so, how significant? Does this favour the statisticians?
2) A player is more likely to find that one (or two) cards that they need for high scoring final few turns? I've only played a few games (less than 10) on the Genie Server, but it occurred to me that a player might be more likely to get a high scoring card (e.g. Terraforming Guild) for their tableau and make a comeback victory. I know this happens in real games as well, but is it more likely to happen because of the goods factor? And would it thus favour a tableau finish strategy rather than a Produce Consume?
3) I can't think of other examples at the moment, but maybe other people can.

The designer obviously designed the game the way he did for a reason, and I'm wondering what difference it makes to change that rule. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying myself tremendously on Genie, and I do thank the designer of Genie for putting the game up.

What do people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
I think the current version uses cards as goods now.

Probably didn't make much difference in 2-player, where some cards will never be seen anyway as you usually won't get through the whole deck. In a game where the deck is shuffled at least once, faster cycling of the deck via goods, means you will get to see discarded cards again sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes; the current online version uses cards as goods (at my request).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Is this an endorsement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Is this an endorsement?
The Genie server now has a temporary license agreement with RGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Was there any particular reason the implementation of Gambling World (which is true to the game's original, retail design) was left out of this request?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Was there any particular reason the implementation of Gambling World (which is true to the game's original, retail design) was left out of this request?

He doesn't care about Gambling World as much as the goods. Gambling world is hard to implement in the program, because it's so different from the rest of the game. Gambling World has never been very popular.

Does the Genie server omit Gambling World entirely, or is it the RvI Gambling World? Everyone who cares seems to like the new Gambling World better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

That was certainly requested too, but it's not as simple to implement.

Barticus88 wrote:
Does the Genie server omit Gambling World entirely, or is it the RvI Gambling World? Everyone who cares seems to like the new Gambling World better.

Neither GW is in the deck as of yet. Perhaps he'd be best served by skipping the base one, and implementing the RvI one in time for RvI release online. Bigger question then would be, is RvI even coming out online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8MegsOnly wrote:
I think the current version uses cards as goods now.

Tom Lehmann wrote:

You mean I've been playing the correct version for my past (and only) 12 games?!blush Someone should have mentioned it earlier! I assumed it was still doing it like it did previously as nothing is mentioned on the Genie main page.

Oh well, so much for posting something and hoping for a discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
I assumed it was still doing it like it did previously as nothing is mentioned on the Genie main page.

Everything's out in the open - any known differences from the real game are noted on the main page. Once he implemented goods-as-cards, he removed the note from the page. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woolever
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

I'm a bit perplexed that RGG licensed an implementation with such obvious omissions, given signs more complete implementations have existed for a long time. I suppose it's one part chutzpah on Genie's creator willing to host it over RGG's (initial) objections and another part BGG reacting to the subsequent pressure from customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qubits wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I'm a bit perplexed that RGG licensed an implementation with such obvious omissions, given signs more complete implementations have existed for a long time. I suppose it's one part chutzpah on Genie's creator willing to host it over RGG's (initial) objections and another part BGG reacting to the subsequent pressure from customers.

I forgot, given how things work on this server, every player would need to be able to see the card regardless of whether or not it would be able to be obtained by the GW user or not. That certainly throws a wrench into the works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qubits wrote:

I'm not perplexed, but I am pleased, that RGG licensed the implementation. That means that RGG allow Genie to exist. It doesn't mean that RGG stamp it as a perfect implementation of R4tG.

I'm also pleased to see that Tom has made requests to Genie in order to make it a better implementation of R4tG, and that goods are now implemented as cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woolever
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Online RFTG is a great thing, and it's great that RGG lets us all play online now. My point is that people started posting evidence of nice implementations already a year ago (as an example see Keldon Jones': http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/364532). Clearly there has been a lot of thought about online options for a long time, so it just seems a bit odd for the chosen implementation to be incomplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qubits wrote:
Online RFTG is a great thing, and it's great that RGG lets us all play online now. My point is that people started posting evidence of nice implementations already a year ago (as an example see Keldon Jones': http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/364532). Clearly there has been a lot of thought about online options for a long time, so it just seems a bit odd for the chosen implementation to be incomplete.
Who knows.. if some of these folks come open with their implementations, perhaps RGG would grant them permission to distribute them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qubits wrote:
My point is that people started posting evidence of nice implementations already a year ago (as an example see Keldon Jones': http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/364532). Clearly there has been a lot of thought about online options for a long time, so it just seems a bit odd for the chosen implementation to be incomplete.

It's probly more of a timing issue than anything. I'd love to see Keldon Jones' version reopened and worked on. A rftg AI would be fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.