BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Another "help me make a decision" thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Mayhew
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've received £50.- to spend in the Amazon UK website and I don't really know what to buy. I mostly play games (most often Race for the Galaxy, Cuba, and sometimes Arkham Horror and Fjords) with my boss... uhm... fiancee. She's a bit picky when it comes to games: she likes games like Monopoly and Clue, and also just regular card games). I vehemently dislike these games. They just lack in theme, originality, re-playability and interesting game mechanics. Unfortunately she's also not that interested in a nice wargame (I want to get my hands on Napoleon's Triumph) So, long story short, I want to use this money to buy a (or some) nice games that we both might enjoy, and I give you the chance to argue your case for these or other games. It's like a day in game court!

So far I have the following (2 and more player) games on my Amazon wishlist (I have more wishes, but they're all 3 and more players):

Small World — I wonder if she'd like the veiled wargame mechanics.
A Game of Thrones (first edition) — Again, she'd most likely not like a wargame.
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage — Idem.
Odin's Ravens — Might this game be a bit to light for me?
Fury of Dracula (second edition) — I hope it's not too much like Scotland Yard because that game lacks in mechanics.
Cuba: El Presidente — The lady says Cuba is not so much fun as a 2 player game. Might this expansion change that?
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game — I'm not really a deck builder but how can you go wrong with Cthulhu?!
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game
Tigris & Euphrates — Yes, I'm ashamed that I do not have this game yet modest however, I wonder whether I'd actually like it.
War of the Ring (First Edition) — Wargame, yes, but the theme might do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small world may be the best choice in your list. It's quite easy to learn, not really a wargame, and best of all (for your boss) have a nice and humorous graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look at Mr. Jack. It's a bit like clue on steroids, which might appease your fiance and give you a good themed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Dominion, or Dominion: Intrigue? It might be card based enough for the boss, with interesting mechanics and replayability enough for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She likes card games.

You like war games.

I choose Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LankyEngineer wrote:
She likes card games.

You like war games.

I choose Battle Line.

Condottiere, would be another suggestion along the same line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Scripts & Scribes? I gather that's being prepared for a re-release, so it soon won't be so hard to get hold of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Power Grid. You even get to play with Monopoly like money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who's been a gamer forever (think old-school Avalon Hill) and only recently picked up Tigris & Euphrates, I'd say definitely give this one some consideration. Play a few games online here at the Geek if you're not sure... though I definitely like the face-to-face experience better than the online one, at least it will give you an idea of the game play. You might also want to have a look at the YouTube video that features the game and an interview with Reiner Knizia (there's more than one part, so you'll have to follow the link to YouTube to get the complete series)...

If you haven't already found the excellent thread with a fully commented play-by-play session, it makes some good reading. Here's the link...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1543978

Of course the next consideration is whether or not you can find people to play it with you more than once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World definitely sounds like the best from your list. I do like A Game of Thrones and enjoyed Fury of Dracula when I played it, but I'm not sure your fiancee would like them as much.

Other options are Stone Age, which seems complicated at first, but swiftly becomes very fluid as the rules are simple. Plus if she enjoys that, its not too much of a leap to playing Agricola. Also, Dominion would be another good choice - it's a card game with enough choice to ensure lots of replay. If you like Race for the Galaxy, you'll probably enjoy it. Thurn and Taxis is good, but some find it a little dry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Pandemic isn't too wargamey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.