England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

I don't come on the site much anymore after being rather fixated for a while...

My query is this:

When you play Thebes do you do 'deals' with each other to swap items, etc?

I realise that the obvious answer to this is, "do what you like, its your game..." and yet I am interested as to whether this is incorporated into the official rules and I've missed it, whether others do it anyway, or whether people consider this a big no, no...

Your input would be appreciated as my kids are desperate to swap stuff and their pendantic, boring, ol' dad is saying, " but its not in the rules!!!"

Oh the fun of gaming eh? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A rather pedantic query...
No, trading is not in the rules - but if your kids want to then let them.

I'd say it could only be done if both players were at the same location and you could only swap stuff that makes sense - ie. actual items rather than completed tasks ... and probably not 'books' if you consider that represents personal knowledge/research rather than you lugging a library of reference material around with you. So want to swap a treasure, sure, a car for a spade, go for it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not allowed!

Imagine it were (without restrictions): two players collude to their mutual advantage as follows: A gives all his blue knowledge to B, B digs in blue and returns it to A; meanwhile B gives all his green knowledge to A, A digs in green and returns it to B. Both are better off (compared to the others). So, everyone would trade every knowledge (and other cards) for mutual benefit and the game breaks down. Also, everyone would just go to one location in Europe, collect everything there and then trade - no traveling required.

So, there could well be a variant where trading is allowed, but that must have a cost! E.g. you loose half (or more depending on the distance between the players) of the items you trade since they get lost/damaged in transit. Or it costs weeks to trade for both parties. Or something else which makes trading a good move occasionally.

But why do your kids want to trade anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the interesting responses - I am glad they were quite so different so that both sides are represented...

Why do they want to trade? Basically, it comes up when they have something they don't want and someone else does and vice versa, ummmm, i.e. they want to for the reason anyone anywhere wants to AND they think it'd be more FUN...

Hmmmm, we're about to play again in a while so I am not sure what we'll do - I think we might allow each person to make ONE trade during each year...

Its weird how much of a slave I can be to THE RULES... wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I am a fan of trading/negotiation as a game mechanic, Thebes is not where it belongs.

It's disallowed by the rules for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the comment:

[q=It's disallowed by the rules for a reason.[/q]

the obvious question is then: what IS that reason? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:

Why do they want to trade? Basically, it comes up when they have something they don't want and someone else does and vice versa, ummmm, i.e. they want to for the reason anyone anywhere wants to AND they think it'd be more FUN...

Well, let them try it out once and see how it goes. If they stick to their intentions (only trade away what they don't want, not 'loan' it to others) it might just work.
An alternative is to allow a player in Warsaw to put up an item for auction: the auctioneer advances one week (the time it costs him to prepare the auction), the other players may bid with their 'weeks', highest bidder gains item (maybe he has to travel to Warsaw to pick it up? or have an extra week to ship it to the near east?) advances however many weeks he bid and the auctioneer goes back the number of bid weeks. But this is certainly too complicated if 'simple trading' gives you more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.