Popular Tags: [View All]
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is First all powers, with First 4 colors a distant second. I have a strong desire to chase after First all powers every time it's in play. I'm not exactly sure why i favor those...

Perhaps because they are often neglected?
Perhaps because they are 2 of the hardest to implement well?
Perhaps a subconscious desire for elegance rather than purely strategic reasons?
Perhaps because they are the hybrid goals and i play a strongly adaptive strategy? Most of the other goals push you in one direction.

On further consideration, a lot of the unidimensional goals might be less interesting to me because they don't involve much decision-making. Either you have enough brown/blue worlds to fight for the goal or you don't, lots of alien cards or not, etc. I find that First all powers and First 4 colors add very interesting/tough choices.

I haven't played RvI yet but i'm certain i will have a strong preference for the First 8 cards goal. It fits my playstyle perfectly, as i'm constantly striving to leech every single phase my opponents call, and that goal will be even more incentive. I've also got a soft-spot for the oft neglected Uplift cards, so i think i might like First 3 uplift.

Notice all my faves are First goals. I guess i prefer a guaranteed 3pts rather than fighting over the Most goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "most"-goals more than "first"-goals. I think they have more effect on the game strategy because they can generate large point swings with one opponent. The "first"-goal I like most is the 6-cost development one. Many times you want to play your point generating 6-cost developments at the end of the game (if they don't have use for their abilities). This goal makes you really ponder should you do it now and gain more points (and possibly deny points from your opponents) or should you save money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, tough question. I really like the First to All Phase Powers, First to 6-Cost Development, Most Developments, and First to Discard.

I agree that First to All Phase Powers offers some, perhaps, different strategy decisions. I had a memorable game the other day. Start world is Ancient Race. After my first trade I end up with Genetics Lab, Expedition Force, and Public Works. Dev, Dev, Dev and all phases is mine. It was pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of game goal is to get people to play the game.

Among most goals, I find Largest Industry quite the doozey. It's among the easiest most goal to get, and to lose.

With first goal, it'd be Galactic Status. Getting a 6-cost dev early spices things up when you have those extra powers in play, and this first goal encourages people to do so more than ever.

Between the 2, the latter is my fave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing i'm noticing is that i'm terrible at the First discard goal. I'm so used to optimizing my plays to land at 10 cards. With this goal in play i should adjust my mental math/plans to "11". You've got to, as such a great point:cash ratio (3:1) is very rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
One thing i'm noticing is that i'm terrible at the First discard goal. I'm so used to optimizing my plays to land at 10 cards. With this goal in play i should adjust my mental math/plans to "11". You've got to, as such a great point:cash ratio (3:1) is very rare.
With me, when I have a choice to build something or just hold on to my 11+ cards, most of the time I prefer to build something, as that's usually more worth it than the 3pts, not even to spite opponent(s). If it's denying them 3pts, then it's more plausible. Otherwise, if it's just to tie them to it, I'd have to have some really bad cards to not bother building anything that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
With me, when I have a choice to build something or just hold on to my 11+ cards, most of the time I prefer to build something

No question, i'd never sacrifice tempo for the discard goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer getting to 13, discarding 2 with deficit spending during consume, and then still having one more left over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.