Subject: anniversary or 1942 ed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebekkah Kim
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i'm thinking of getting axis and allies for my little brother. he's played conquest of the empire and settlers of catan and enjoys both.

is anniversary edition still available or should i just get the 1942 ed? what's the difference between the two games? also, are there any expansions to either game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am no authority on the subject. However, I believe that the 1942 edition is the "new Revised" edition which is basically their main A&A product now. Anniversary is still the flagship game which has more "bells" on it. I think Anniversary is supposed to be reprinted later this year.

None of the games have any official expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may still be able to find the limited Anniversary Edition, but you'll be lucky to find it at a reasonable price. It's supposed to be reprinted at some point, however. We'll see.

The difference between the two is that the Anniversary Edition has a larger map with more territories. It also has Italy as a separate, playable power and China as a semi-separate power under control of the USA player. In addition, there are optional rules for technological development and special objectives for each power that aren't in the 1942 Edition. Other than that, they basically have the same rules. Neither game has any expansions.

All in all, the Anniversary Edition is a richer game experience, but very expensive and hard to find right now. He'll probably be quite happy with the 1942 Edition. I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest 1942 if your brother hasn't played before. If he likes it, then he can upgrade to 50th if it's re-printed or spend the long dollar on finding a copy from Ebay, etc. Plus, you can go to Target and pick a copy of 1942 up for $29 today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.