Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bantus and Su-Chou city encounter cards take us immediately to paragraphs 8 and 43 respectively, but these yield sea-specific encounters and won't feel right most of the time. Is there an error here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an error, it's just an encounter you have in the area. It may have been traveling there, or traveling around the area, or even leaving. Don't tie the encounter too hard to where your game piece is at that particular moment. That's one of the lessons I learned quickly, along with adapting story or location elements into the paragraph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, this very point is addressed in the rules: the encounter is always only intended to be somewhere in the area of the city in question. So it's a bit mysterious to me why this keeps coming up, but you're not the first one to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys, but if you've been traveling through the desert and your encounter occurs in the middle of the desert (say), then sea-based encounters all of a sudden feel completely wrong.

Note, I'm talking about the paragraph that must be read 'immediately' on drawing the city encounter card, not the list of 6 rewards/ encounters that may happen on entering the city. This 'immediate' encounter does not occur in the area of the city in question, which may be hundreds of miles away from the player's character. I love the game, but this feels poor.

Imo it's no wonder that it keeps coming up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't there be mermaids at the oasis you stopped at to rest while traveling through the desert?

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yangtze2000 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys, but if you've been traveling through the desert and your encounter occurs in the middle of the desert (say), then sea-based encounters all of a sudden feel completely wrong.

I don't think that has ever come up in my games before. Even so, if it did, I'd just make up some extra bits of story to accommodate it.

Quote:
Note, I'm talking about the paragraph that must be read 'immediately' on drawing the city encounter card, not the list of 6 rewards/ encounters that may happen on entering the city. This 'immediate' encounter does not occur in the area of the city in question, which may be hundreds of miles away from the player's character. I love the game, but this feels poor.

Imo it's no wonder that it keeps coming up!

Correct. However, in the narrative of the story, the encounter does not have to occur where your game piece is at that point. It just happens, somewhere, along your journey.

An apparently sea-based encounter while your game piece is in the city could mean that you were invited aboard someone's vessel for a pleasure cruise, or you tried to travel but the vessel was forced back to harbour, or anything else you'd like to create.

This really is a game of creative freedom as long as you adhere to the rules and principles in the rulebooks. The story is the game while the rules merely facilitate it's telling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yangtze2000 wrote:
Note, I'm talking about the paragraph that must be read 'immediately' on drawing the city encounter card, not the list of 6 rewards/ encounters that may happen on entering the city.

Ah, my mistake. I see your point, then. Yes, it would be nicer for those encounters to either be more generic, or to use the system from the terrain encounter cards where appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarvis wrote:
Why can't there be mermaids at the oasis you stopped at to rest while traveling through the desert?

Jeff

There can. But it's unlikely that my ship would be floating in the middle of it too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
Ah, my mistake. I see your point, then. Yes, it would be nicer for those encounters to either be more generic, or to use the system from the terrain encounter cards where appropriate.

Yes, for it to happen twice in my first game, solo, kind of broke the spell a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Fletcher
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another option, that takes a story-telling look at the encounters is that it could be that while in the desert, you had a dream of an event while on an ocean...I mean, who doesn't dream of an ocean while walking in the desert? That, or it was a heat-induced vision, you thought you were on the desert, but only after the end of the encounter, do you realize it was all heat stroke...but you still learned from the encounter. (Then again, getting pursued by a heat-induced vision would be hard to explain...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the paragraphs are not in error, then that's probably the only solution - and a good one. Thanks Jody.

I'm left still loving the game, but feeling that the 'immediate' encounters on city encounter cards should be more applicable to all terrain types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

It does sound like this game may stretch the most vivid imaginative gamer laugh

Well, it is bound to stretch my imagination since I will be playing the game solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Seeber
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a bit disturbing last night when I was pulled overboard in Timbuktu by a malicious merman, and ended up shipwrecked on a desert island. Of course... what other sort of island would there be in Timbuktu?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Trosper
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Another way to imagine such encounters when you're inland: A river to the sea with a freshwater Mermen--well, freshwater-capable, anyway.

Seriously! I just checked the Wikipedia map for Timbuktu, and like nearly all cities in period, it's on a river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.