Subject: Anyone playing solitaire SPQR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paco M
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi @ll,

I've recently got the game, it looks really nice and coming from the Advanced Squad Leader world, ancient world warfare seems like a big change

Unfortunately, I have no oppo around so I'm going to have to play solo. Has anyone around tried it? is it worth the effort or I better find someone to play PBEM or VASSAL?

Regards
Anzac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anzac74 wrote:
Hi @ll,

I've recently got the game, it looks really nice and coming from the Advanced Squad Leader world, ancient world warfare seems like a big change

Unfortunately, I have no oppo around so I'm going to have to play solo. Has anyone around tried it? is it worth the effort or I better find someone to play PBEM or VASSAL?

Regards
Anzac

Well, I'll answer this question: I don't like solitaire games, I don't like playing solitaire at all!

BUT GBoH games, I've played them solitaire before. Actually played them out. So I think that yes, SPQR works well solitaire. But you know, there's VASSAL and all that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with luke. Not a big solitaire fan, but GBoH (and SPQR therefore) is a great solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I prefer not to, I've played a few scenarios solitaire with SPQR and I've still enjoyed the game. You learn A LOT about the game's mechanics and how units interact through solitaire play and solitaire play is a good way understand the history behind the battle at hand.

VASSAL is still a good option though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same way as Luke about solitaire gaming.

I think you would be missing some of the tension in SPQR from making decisions about when to try to continue and trump, but otherwise this system would probably be as good as any other non-solitaire designed game to play solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played ASLSK #3 and SPQR primarily solitaire (I do try to get vassal games of ASLSK, but it seems like my schedule refuses to allow that to happen).

I'd say that SPQR plays as well as ASLSK #3 solo for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Yep, S.P.Q.R works very well solo. You can have a short or long break...just come back to it and continue where you left off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paco M
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi all,

Thanks for your answers, I'll definitely get into it then ;-))

How about the similar ones? Caesar in Alexandria, Gaul,, etc . Are they equally playable solo?

Regards
Anzac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Morgan
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anzac74 wrote:
hi all,

Thanks for your answers, I'll definitely get into it then ;-))

How about the similar ones? Caesar in Alexandria, Gaul,, etc . Are they equally playable solo?

Regards
Anzac

Yes, they are equally playable solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dar dar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hello,
how can u play solo spqr? there are some rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.