Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a very short session of LOTR F&F today, here's what happened:

After 2 corruption from preparations, our hobbits ran into Bree.

Following the usual strategy, we played through friendship line so Frodo could get a ring token, and then the hiding line before event 3. Both worked out well, as we got Gandalf's letter and finished the hiding track. However, on event 1, Sam had rolled the eye, so Sauron moved a step. At any rate, our hobbits moved forward a few spaces on the main track, until in one turn, they drew

Event/life token, shield, card discard (canceled)
Event (get bill the pony)
Event (nobody had a shield, so Frodo corrupts 2, sauron move forward one)
Ringbearer corruption
2 corruption/ eye (chose corruption)
Event (Frodo had no ring tokens, Sauron moves forward twice)
Ringbearer corruption (Sauron wins)

Yes, we didn't play completely optimally (Gandalf's letter was unused, as well as the one-time abilities), but Frodo and Sauron took a combined 9 steps towards each other in the one turn. Final score? Who cares, I'll just write "lame and dead" on the stupid score sheet.
sauronsauronsauronsauronsauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:

You know you can choose any hobbit to take the 2 corruption, not just Ring-bearer or active player/hobbit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not certain of this but you MIGHT have beaten our teams record, but we had F&F and Sauron expansion. Same thing happened, just a continous barrage of stuff until embarassingly DEATH.
Lord of the Rings...a trilogy in less than 1/3 of a chapter shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Nicholas1024 wrote:

You know you can choose any hobbit to take the 2 corruption, not just Ring-bearer or active player/hobbit?

You know, that would have helped in like half the games I've played. blush One game we missed out on pipeweed because that tile would have sent the active player (Frodo) to his doom. If I'd have known I could choose any hobbit to take the corruption, we probably would have won that one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking this over, I add up: 6 corruption, and 4 steps by Sauron. Therefore, I conclude:

1. You started with Sauron on space 10. Correct? This does make it hard.

2. Frodo took all the corruption. This is probably wrong. As Rauli pointed out, for the Eye/2Spot tile anyone can take the corruption. Also, when a die roll has 1-3 spots showing, it's the player who rolled the die who takes the corruption, not the Ring-bearer. In your game maybe it was Frodo who rolled all the spots, but I suspect maybe not.

3. You did not use Sam's Character Ability card to avoid the consequences of a bad Event box. The card seems specifically designed to avoid a calamity in Bree -- that 3rd Event box can sometimes come up before there's a chance to finish the Hiding line. It looks like you could have really used it in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think Sauron was on twelve. It adds up like so:

2 corruption from preparations.
1 Sauron step from event #1.
2 corruption and 1 Sauron step from event #4.
1 corruption from ringbearer corruption tile.
2 corruption from 2 corruption/eye tile (I did not know at the time that I could choose anyone to take the corruption, so Frodo took it)
2 Sauron steps from event #5.
Last fatal corruption from the ringbearer corruption tile.

Add it up and it turns out to be 12 total steps. And yes, Frodo DID manage to roll all that corruption by himself.

I know that Sam had his special ability, and I had Gandalf's letter, but I knew after the first few tiles that I was going to lose this game, so I elected to let it finish. What was incredible is that the early wipe had absolutely no damage taken from the usual culprit... event #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think in our first game (2 hobbits) we lost it on either space 8 or 9 of Bree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 15 plays of the base game we broke out F&F for the first time. In our very quick, first game, we moved one space before dying. We did start Sauron on 12. Mistake.

The second game, we knew not to make the same mistake. But neither of us, again, could pick a safe tile for anything. We made it to 48 and we were both quite happy with that achievement. The expansion really game this game some new life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.