Popular Tags: [View All]
Yves Phaneuf
Canada
Granby
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi to you,

I'm a french canadian fan of Knizia games! I just bought this game, and after reading all the topics on BGG about the rules, I would like to ask you a little question( as a french guy, I try to do my best!) about the Nile row:

- If I have already a marker on the Nile row, and get 3 dice with the Nile symbol or Ankhs ones( at least along with one Nile die), I put a marker on top of the one I had to be sure to score points later at the end of the round. Right?

- If this situation do not change, and later on another turn, I get 2 Nile dices, do I move the little stack of markers 2 spaces on the Nile track?

OR, can I start another stack with another marker on the second space of the Nile track? ( hopefully to score twice If I get at least 3 more dice to add a marker on it( flood)? I ask you this question because it is written in the rules that you can flood the Nile more than once...I don't see why I would put a marker on top of 2 others...Am I clear?

And I score the points where my markers are(stack), so If my markers are on the 7 spaces( as a stack), I score 7 points, even If I have many markers on the same space.

Let me know when you'll can If I'm right, and hope that I made myself clear!
Friendly,
..Yves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you only ever occupy one space on the Nile. The reason to flood more than once is to be able to withstand the drought disaster better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isamoor wrote:
I believe you only ever occupy one space on the Nile. The reason to flood more than once is to be able to withstand the drought disaster better.

Correct and correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Phaneuf
Canada
Granby
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, thanks to both of you, that's what I wanted to make sure...
Let's play now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Isamoor wrote:

Although there is no need to actually move the stack. When, at the end of the epoch, you remove all but one marker, obviously you'll keep the marker that's at the front of the track. It probably would have been clearer to have separate flood indicators to hand out (and just use the track for keeping track of the number of "river" results you have rolled), at the expense of production costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Isamoor wrote:

Although there is no need to actually move the stack. When, at the end of the epoch, you remove all but one marker, obviously you'll keep the marker that's at the front of the track.

There is no one at the front of the track. There is a single stack (initially one cube) on the track. Whenever you flood it you add to it. Whenever you move it you move it all. At the end of the epoch you remove all but one cube from the single apace. I don't have the rules to quote to hand but they refer to the stack (or some other word) in the singular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Dearlove wrote:
Dave wrote:
Isamoor wrote:

Although there is no need to actually move the stack. When, at the end of the epoch, you remove all but one marker, obviously you'll keep the marker that's at the front of the track.

There is no one at the front of the track. There is a single stack (initially one cube) on the track. Whenever you flood it you add to it. Whenever you move it you move it all. At the end of the epoch you remove all but one cube from the single apace. I don't have the rules to quote to hand but they refer to the stack (or some other word) in the singular.

I fail to see how this is not equivalent, but I can see how instructing folks to keep things together would make it less confusing. However, I think there are approaches that make it less cluttered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
I fail to see how this is not equivalent

If the rules are described in terms of a single stack then an explanation in any other terms is at best confusing, especially as the whole point of this thread was to confirm how things should be done. A description about separate stacks when it has just been confirmed there are none isn't helpful.

Quote:
but I can see how instructing folks to keep things together would make it less confusing.

Less confusing is always good. Especially as if I want to know how green is doing on the Nile I look in one place which tells me score and flooding. No possibility of missing anything.

Quote:
However, I think there are approaches that make it less cluttered.

Well I haven't played with a production copy, but the pla
playtest version worked fine. I would really dislike scattered pieces that if I missed one would be quite wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Dearlove wrote:
Especially as if I want to know how green is doing on the Nile I look in one place which tells me score and flooding.

You mean that small square where 8+ cubes of four different colors are piled on top of each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Especially as if I want to know how green is doing on the Nile I look in one place which tells me score and flooding.

You mean that small square where 8+ cubes of four different colors are piled on top of each other?

Yes, that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Do let me know if it ever happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Dave wrote:
Isamoor wrote:

I fail to see how this is not equivalent, but I can see how instructing folks to keep things together would make it less confusing. However, I think there are approaches that make it less cluttered.

From just a few practice rounds, it doesn't really make much sense to ever flood more than once, better to move to a higher scoring space, so a player wouldn't have more than 2 cubes in a stack, so not very cluttered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.