Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: New to C&C:A and have a few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

My questions all involve the expansions in one way or another.

I just have the base game, and I have just enough left for one expansion.

I want to get the 2nd expansion because I am really interested in the Roman vs. Barbarians battles.

Eventually, knowing myself, I will get all of the expansions - but I wanted to see what order experienced players think the expansions ought to be purchased in.

Secondly, I see new maps and new scenarios, but what is the secret for which expansions are required to play on the new maps or the new scenarios.

There is the 3 digit code, and I get that the number in the 100's place indicates and expansion, but what about the maps and scenarios with an "X" in the hundreds place, or some other non-numerical code?

I was looking to see what other scenarios are available for the base game, and I found ccancients.net, but I haven't been able to find new scenarios for the base game on their (yet).

Also, the copy I bought it the 2nd Edition. This is the current up until the 2009 base ships, correct? Is there an errata for the 2nd edition?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Reed
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get the 2nd expansion for the mounted map. Then don't think about getting anymore for a while. Play the game. All that Commands and Colours will keep you busy for ages. If you have a large gaming group, consider getting Epics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second what Devon said -- tho, Exp #3 has some really interesting scenarios, too; epic or otherwise.

By and large, I consider Exp #1 to largely be an additional supply of blocks -- if I had one to re-do, it would be that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, also in agreement. Expansion 2 has great Roman vs Barbarian scenarios, plus more importantly a mounted mapboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the vast majority of my C&C:Ancients gaming on Vassal, so I've never really concerned myself with which expansions are needed for which scenarios, but if one has enough blocks (or uses a method such as a single block's position denoting the unit's morale, or poker chip stacks, etc.) and doesn't mind having the pictures be a tad anachronistic, any scenario can be played out with the base game (some terrain may have to be proxied as well).

I enjoy the scenarios from the base game and all of the expansions to date (especially the Epic scenarios, played with 2 players - very much looking forward to Expansion 5), as well as many of the player created scenarios on ccancients.net. Army compositions and initial positions make for an incredibly variable gaming system where the Greek and Persian battles feel very different from the exploits of Caesar.

I would recommend the path you've laid out (it is the same one I took ) - purchasing expansion 2 first (I also picked up 3 at the same time). I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but by preferring the Rome v Barbarian scenarios, I think you will be pleased. And the mounted board is certainly a nice bonus. As Devon said, between the base game and Exp 2, you should have plenty of scenarios to keep you busy - excellent replayability in this game, I heartily endorse several plays of each scenario.

The forums here, along with the living rules on GMT's site coupled with the resources on ccancients.net should keep you on the straight and narrow

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the replies. #2 first it is...

I am still hoping for an explanation as to how to tell if a map/scenario fits with the base + scenarios a person has.

Also, is there a way to generate a random map and/or random battle based on what armies you specify?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:

Also, is there a way to generate a random map and/or random battle based on what armies you specify?

Scenario X may be what you are looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
toddrew wrote:
Major SNAFU wrote:

Scenario X may be what you are looking for?

Thanks.

I'll have to read the instructions a few time to understand how to use it. I suspect it would make more sense once I have played the game a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would actually make more sense to stick to the scenarios for awhile.

Scenario X stuff is really for folks who want to experiment beyond the scenarios and who have a strong grip on what unit strengths and weaknesses are (which are not that obvious.)

As for this question:

Quote:
I am still hoping for an explanation as to how to tell if a map/scenario fits with the base + scenarios a person has.

Maybe I'm not understanding the nature of the question-- the answer sure seems awfully simple.

Except for Expansion 3, which just added some additional blocks to the red and gray Roman armies, all the expansions have featured distinct armies.
Your base game has gray roman and carthage. The first expansion has Greeks and 'eastern' armies, and the 2nd has a red roman army and barbarians.

The scenarios-- at least all the official ones-- have distinct armies shown. So if you see "gray roman" and carthaginian and you have the base game, you know you have everything you need. If you see a Greek army and you don't have the first expansion, you don't have it. (And if the question is there some way published of knowing whether the 'red roman' army you will be getting in Exp 2 has the right units to "substitute" for the Greek army you don't have... the answer is "no." To my knowledge, no one has published such a cross reference list. Once you become familiar with your armies, it will be easier to tell though. Each army has some different make up-- and the 1st expansion has, for example, the only mounted archer units (for both sides) in the game. (Exp 4 will add some more).

The only contents of any given expansion which don't involve specific armies are terrain-- some things (like Rome v barbarians) may involve a new terrain type that wasn't in the base game. But-- so far-- no scenarios have involved putting an army from one expansion into a situation where there is terrain that "you don't have," provided that you do have that army.

This is about to change, however, since Expansion 4 will have only one army-- meant to interact with others-- and several new terrain types...bridges, wagon laegers to name two. But Expansion 4, which does not even have "competing" armies included, really is an adjunct to flesh out the entire system.

Does that answer your question or is there something I don't understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
That answers my question for the most part. Untill I get more familiar with the game.

Expansion #4 sounds interesting. Will you be able to make use of it if you only have the Base + #2 for instance? I understand you might not be able to make use of all of the potential. If #1 is the only way to get m ounted archers, well I guess I will put that on the queue as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion 4 (Imperial) will have a complete late Roman army and plenty of scenarios. Most of the scenarios are Rome v Rome (more RCW stuff) or Rome v Parthians or other eastern kingdoms, like the Mithridates War.

There are also some additional blocks- some of which will help your base game and others which will expand your Rome v Barbarians expansion. There are mounted archers and cataphracts for the 'eastern army' that are of less value- altho if you are still trying to 'cover' for scenarios you don't have the forces to, these might fit with Carthage or something to provide a little more flex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.