Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Setting up a Standard Detailed Poll Review for Games - Working Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been developing some ideas around what are the factors that are most important to a game. This began in this thread and was developed in this thread with a poll for people to rate the ones they felt were most important.

I used a bit of a weird structure for this, talking about the factors as though they were athletics events that games could take part in. This was to drive a geeklist idea I was working on: The Games Decathlon where the games had to partake in these events (through polls) to see which was the best game.

I'd entered the BGG top 20 games into it, plus 10 'wild card' popular games. I was getting around to analyzing the results of this when I realised that Dominion: Intrigue had stormed into the Top 20 since I'd set up the polls. This kind of spoiled my competition a little, so I decided to try to get the results for it by setting up a poll for Dominion: Intrigue to include it in the competition. You can see the results here.
The format seems to appeal - 91 users have already completed the poll less than 24 hours after it has gone up!

Setting this up kind of opened up a wild idea in my head. What about setting up this kind of Review Poll for other games? It would give a really detailed assessment of games that might help people decide whether they'd like to play/buy them. Unfortunately the questions as I'd asked them were not completely clear in some cases and in others were tuned to the idea of the Games Decathlon rather than a generic game review.

So this is my attempt to standardise into a generic review system. Listed below are the factors, each of which would have a question in the poll. Some might need more than one, but we'll get to that in a minute. I used a scale of 4-0 in my original polls and I think a 5-point system like that works well for review scores.

The Factors are listed in the order of importance to users that I've established in a previous poll. So far 165 people have answered that so I think its a fairly reliable assessment (you can find it in the Games Decathlon geeklist, link above).

For each factor I've assessed the range and I think I've managed to change the question wordings so that all of them are covered by a High-Low scoring scheme with the exception of a couple of points which seem to merit more subjective questions, e.g. Randomness:

Level of Fun
Level of Replayability
Quality of Game mechanics
Quality of Theme
Multiple Paths to Victory
Tension/Excitement
Intellectual Challenge
Quality of Game materials
How Original is/was it?
Level of Player interaction
Number of Players Scalability
Clarity of the Rulebook
Worth the time to play?
Quality of Artwork
Value for Money
Competition
Ease to learn
Complexity
2 Player playability
Randomness Level
Set up time
Chrome
Ease to obtain
Solo playability
Co-operation
Mass appeal
Wide age appeal (kids & adults?)
Ease to Play anywhere, any time
Ease to expand/mod
Box Portability
BGG support materials/extras
Availability of Online play
[/c]

Other more subjective questions could be:

Randomness Level Too much - Not enough
Opportunity for chit chat during the game Too much - Not enough
Downtime Too much - Not enough

Maybe the last 2 are the same thing but presented in a positive/negative way?! Maybe Downtime Hi-Lo would cover both in an objective way?

Are there any other factors that aren't covered by the above list?

Theme also could have more questions:

How much of a theme is there?
How much does the game attempt to immerse the player in the theme?
How faithful the game is to the theme?
How successful the game is in using the theme?
How much do I like the theme?

Probably too much on theme here, but some of these could be good. Do any of the other factors merit more questions?

Removing some questions

Also some of the factors got very little interest, or are covered by other entries on the game page, so I'd propose removing the following:

Unpopular factors:
Ease to expand/mod
Box Portability

Covered elsewhere on the game page:
Complexity (by Weight?)
2 Player playability
Solo playability

So this would reduce the size of the poll, meaning that adding other questions is more reasonable.

Okay, enough of my thoughts, discuss....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it wouldn't be right not to have some polls...

Poll
1. What would be the best Downtime Question?
Opportunity for chit chat during the game: Too much - Not enough
Downtime: Too much - Not enough
Downtime: Hi-Lo
Something else (please comment)
Don't bother with a question on Downtime
2. Do we need a subjective Randomness Question (Randomness Level Too much - Not enough)?
Yes
No
Phrase it a different way (please comment)
3. Which additional questions on theme would be good?
How much of a theme is there?
How much does the game attempt to immerse the player in the theme?
How faithful the game is to the theme?
How successful the game is in using the theme?
How much do I like the theme?
Something else that covers more than one of these (please suggest)
We don't need any extra questions on theme
4. Removing some Questions - are there any of these we should keep?
  Keep Remove
Ease to expand/mod
Box Portability
Complexity (by Weight?)
2 Player playability
Solo playability
      44 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I not all that for too much polling, but I actually enjoy Blott's review on Ticket to ride. I generally think that these are too many questions to wade through to get an overview of the game and I felt that some of the questions didn't seem relevant for the game in question. But I am one of those who prefer written reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godfeather wrote:
I not all that for too much polling, but I actually enjoy Blott's review on Ticket to ride. I generally think that these are too many questions to wade through to get an overview of the game and I felt that some of the questions didn't seem relevant for the game in question. But I am one of those who prefer written reviews.

Thanks for the feedback.
The thing is that written reviews are already there. This is something else. We have ratings and some people think they are great, while some think they are meaningless. This approach will drill down massively into the ratings type approach.
Yes, something won't be appropriate for certain games, but most will for most games. If someone doesn't like a lot of randomness in their games this will instantly tell them if there is a lot of randomness or not.
The same for Tension, Multiple Paths to Victory, Replayability, Rules Clarity, Ease to Learn, etc.
I personally think that would be of incredible value, but maybe its just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godfeather wrote:

I also hadn't seen Blott's co-operative review. Its very much the approach I was thinking this would go. It has obviously been popular too.....

Checking his profile he's done this for Carcassonne and Pandemic too.
I'll point him at this thread and see what he thinks from his experienced viewpoint....

The advantage of the above approach is that it covers a wider range of factors and is standardised. His co-operative reviews are tailored to the games as far as I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like focusing my cooperative reviews on the game and specifics of that game, but I also include some standardized questions. There are a few things that hold true for all games, so the standard questions work, but I'm not sure how many people will actually take the time to look through. When you just do one massive poll asking people to rate 30+ categories the information can get muddled for both voters and readers.

The other problem I have with the poll review (and yes I'm including my own in this) is the fact that anyone can vote. There is nothing stopping Joe Schmo, who has never played Ticket to Ride, from coming in and voting that the rulebook is a complete mess, the components are horrible, and the game is entirely too confusing even for hardcore gamers. This type of agenda-voting can be utilized (including with sock puppet accounts) because there is nothing connecting the voter to his/her vote.

My final concern is that modders may see this as a way for you to snatch up a ton of geekgold by just copying-and-pasting the same poll into every game in the database, and therefore start declining your "reviews." I know you better than that, but others may not. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage your endeavor, because I think the idea has merit, just be prepared for the inevitable backlash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
My final concern is that modders may see this as a way for you to snatch up a ton of geekgold by just copying-and-pasting the same poll into every game in the database, and therefore start declining your "reviews." I know you better than that, but others may not. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage your endeavor, because I think the idea has merit, just be prepared for the inevitable backlash.

Yeah, this is something that had occurred to me and obviously to you too, even though it looks like your reviews have been really popular and well-received.

I'd be happy though to tot up the geekgold received and give it to one of the worthy causes on BGG that come along pretty regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
I like focusing my cooperative reviews on the game and specifics of that game, but I also include some standardized questions. There are a few things that hold true for all games, so the standard questions work, but I'm not sure how many people will actually take the time to look through. When you just do one massive poll asking people to rate 30+ categories the information can get muddled for both voters and readers.

I'm not really sure this would be a problem - 95 people have voted on the Dominion: Intrigue poll in less than 24 hours and that wasn't as polished as I'm attempting to make this.
And I actually think that a standard set of questions would be easier for both voters and readers.

Quote:
The other problem I have with the poll review (and yes I'm including my own in this) is the fact that anyone can vote. There is nothing stopping Joe Schmo, who has never played Ticket to Ride, from coming in and voting that the rulebook is a complete mess, the components are horrible, and the game is entirely too confusing even for hardcore gamers. This type of agenda-voting can be utilized (including with sock puppet accounts) because there is nothing connecting the voter to his/her vote.

Do you think this is a real problem on BGG? Okay there are a few 'random elements' but I find the vast majority of people on here to be incredibly helpful and positive. What would be in it for someone to spoil the poll like this? They'd have to put in a considerable effort to make a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Blott wrote:

I'm not really sure this would be a problem - 95 people have voted on the Dominion: Intrigue poll in less than 24 hours and that wasn't as polished as I'm attempting to make this.
And I actually think that a standard set of questions would be easier for both voters and readers.

But how much response would you receive on a game that isn't the hot new "flavor of the month?"

1000rpm wrote:
Quote:

Do you think this is a real problem on BGG? Okay there are a few 'random elements' but I find the vast majority of people on here to be incredibly helpful and positive. What would be in it for someone to spoil the poll like this? They'd have to put in a considerable effort to make a big difference.

It may not be an issue at all. My mind just has a natural tendency to worry about worst-case scenarios. But it wouldn't be the first time someone had an agenda against a particular game, and for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the gameplay (see Age of Scheme: Routes to Riches or Soccer Tactics World for a couple examples.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
My thoughts on several of the categories... sorry if this is redundant with feedback you've gotten in previous threads, I haven't followed all of them.

Level of Fun - So subjective I'm not sure it merits inclusion. More relevant and more measurable would be "Appeal to non-gamers".

Quality of Mechanics - what does this mean? What is a good quality mechanic and what is a bad one?

Quality of Theme - I assume this refers to how well the theme is implemented, and if so it should be phrased as such. I'd also like to see this split into "Theme integration into mechanics" and "Theme integration into production". A lot of so-called thematic games rely entirely on theme-by-production, i.e. Shadows Over Camelot. That's of little value to me. What I do like is theme-by-mechanics, i.e. StreetSoccer.

Number of Players Scalability - This is handled very well by the Player Count polls on each game page, I wouldn't include it here.

Worth the time to play? - Much like Level of Fun - the games I like are worth the time to play and the ones I don't are not worth the time to play. Perhaps this should be more along the lines of "Number of meaningful decisions to make per minute of play".

Competition - Needs clarification. Is this the opposite of "Tendency towards a runaway leader?". Or is it "Does the game make you want to punch your opponents?".

2 player playability - Again, redundant with Player Count polls.

Randomness level - the original polls were all phrased in terms of "good / bad". This one needs to be "high / low" to have any relevance.

Co-operation - What does this mean? To me, all non-co-op games have zero co-operation - I might do things that benefit both you & me, but I'm only doing it because I think it will increase my chances of winning.

Downtime - What is "Not enough downtime"? If you need more downtime can't you just play your turn slowly?

Now I see your section with more questions on theme. As I said above, something that's very relevant to me is whether the theme is evoked in the mechanics or just the production.

I agree with removing all of the "Unpopular factors" and "Covered elsewhere".

I wouldn't bother with a Downtime question, but on a related note I might ask something like "Conduciveness to socializing".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Blott wrote:

Yeah, this is something that had occurred to me and obviously to you too, even though it looks like your reviews have been really popular and well-received.

I'd be happy though to tot up the geekgold received and give it to one of the worthy causes on BGG that come along pretty regularly.

Another option would be to just post this under "General" and avoid the issue with Geekgold altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
1000rpm wrote:
Blott wrote:

But how much response would you receive on a game that isn't the hot new "flavor of the month?"

A very good question.
I think I'll give it a try and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomness is terribly open-ended to interpretation.

Even shifting to a "luck-based" question is quite unacceptable. Some people think poker is hugely luck-based, where I think it is an extremely skillful game (which is why it's mostly the same people winning all the time!)

Some Wargames have tons of dice rolling, but I would hesitate to call some of these "random"

Perhaps you are looking for something like: How much does a random factor influence who will win the game?

:shrug:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just completed the survey for Imperial. I generally liked it, but your set-up time question is confusing. The rest of your scale is High-Low, with High generally being good. But for setup, I think Low is good. Is there a way to reword the question (e.g. Ease of Setup) so that all the questions point the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, for better or worse I have created a Detailed Ratings poll and placed it on 17 different games. These are all high in the "Most Wanted (Wishlist)" list and are all fairly recent creations, so the ratings should be useful for a lot of people who are thinking about buying them, myself included for a good few.

Agricola
Dominion
Small World
Race for the Galaxy
Galaxy Trucker
Stone Age
Space Alert
Le Havre
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!
Steam
Imperial
Kingsburg
Battlestar Galactica
TZAAR
Automobile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
1000rpm wrote:
Level of Fun
Quality of Theme
Multiple Paths to Victory
Tension/Excitement
How Original is/was it?
Clarity of the Rulebook
Quality of Artwork
Competition
Ease to learn
Complexity
Value for Money
2 Player playability
Solo playability
Co-operation
Mass appeal
Ease to expand/mod
Set up time
Box Portability
Chrome
Ease to obtain

I don't care about the above, whatever the order of scaling (hi/lo). Unless particularly egregious (and often still not, even then), they don't factor into my decision-making regarding games.

Quote:
Randomness Level
Intellectual Challenge
Level of Replayability
Worth the time to play?

These I do care about. They're the biggies. I've listed them in order of increasing importance. The last is of course extremely subjective but almost perfectly translates to, Still a lot left to learn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a neat idea, and I filled out 10 or so of these polls, but ultimately I didn't feel like I was saying anything about the games. Apparently I don't process games with tons of sliding scales, but I hope the data is useful to those who do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:
I just completed the survey for Imperial. I generally liked it, but your set-up time question is confusing. The rest of your scale is High-Low, with High generally being good. But for setup, I think Low is good. Is there a way to reword the question (e.g. Ease of Setup) so that all the questions point the same way?

Yep, you are correct.
The same applies to the Downtime question.

So I just went and deleted all 17 polls and replaced them with ones that clarify this (and a couple of other minor clarifications).

Big apologies to the (fairly few) people who had completed the original polls, whose votes have now been lost and would need to vote again.
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what games should be next?
Or do I just systematically hit the "Most Wanted" games?
Or should I pause for feedback/flames before I embark on this.

Poll
What next?
Hit the Most Wanted (Wishlists) Games
Pause for feedback
Brace self for flames
Wonder why you are doing this
Other
      16 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A suggestion for terminology.
I'm only gamer for half a year, but philosophy graduate for a couple years, so, this is my take on terminology - how should it be framed, to tell us something relevant.

Do we need a subjective Randomness Question (Randomness Level Too much - Not enough)?
This is banal question, because game can have random factor and use it a constructive way or not. The question is: are my choices crucial to the game or not? Than what kind of decisions I am given as a player and how many.In essence: how does the game incorporate player's decisions.
Some questions on this topic:
1) Do my decisions change the flow of the game? This is crucial. The question is not, if the result of my decisions is sure or is it decided by some randomness protocol, but can I make a meaningful decision. In this category I would rate Roll throug the ages higher than PG for 2 players (as in 2 player game, it seems whatever you do, you allways determine the winner by counting the money in the end, in 2 player mode the game does not manage to punish you for bad decisions and reward you for good decisions).
2.) Are all my choices on the table or are they determined by chance (the example of the latter would be RFTG. I like this trait asa it allows me to develop strategy by adapting to the cards given, so I would not call this randomness. This is basically strategy).
3) Does the game feel scripted? / Is it too obvious to make the right decision?
4) Does the game give me narrow or wide array of choices (usually narrow array means difficult choices - brainburner type of game which favours tactics., The later is usually strategy). The example of former is Lost Cities (few choices but difficult, the example od the latter would be RttA or RftG (quite a few options, more or less of equally weight).
5) Does the gameplay favors tactics or strategy (or something else entirely)

Interaction
This can mean various things to various people, from the attacking the other player, talking to the other player or just being in the same room. The most important questions are:
6) How much freedom does the game give me in general? - is everything made to be foolproof, or does the game allow for improvisation (of one player or of a group).
7) How much freedom does the game give me in relations to other players? (Is there any not in-the-game interaction - talking, haggling, negotiating, trading, storytelling or not. If yes, are you free to do what you will or are there strict limitations).
8) Is this a social game? - in terms of - has the game enough interaction so I can talk to my guests during the game, or is this pure only-gaming-experience for which I better invite those friends which I'm in frequent contact with (I can play RftG with my SO, but for the people I see a coule times a year it's not a good option).

Level of fun
This is a weird question, as it can mean warious things.
9) Does the game allow for immersion or is it a game burner (usually the both don't go together, although they might). So - is a player in game, or is he outside of the game controling the game.

Quality of Mechanics
This is probably answered by one of the previous questions - how doeas the game reward my decisions?, does it allow for player immersion? and so on. Bad mechanics are those, where you feel outside of the game wondering what are you doing, but we can find more specific reasons for this.

Quality of Theme
As mentioned before by Jonatan there are really 2 questions here
10) How much chrome does the game have and does it manage to use it well (good components, good ilustrations, pasted on theme, that manages to be immersive anyhow, etc).
11). How much thematic are the mechanics?
12) Eurogame VS Ameritrash (why not? Everybody uses these terms, it would at least be fun to vote for it). Maybe I'm contradicting myself as this is not a question that would tell me something very relevant about the game (though it might) but it would be fun to vote and see what other have voted for.

Competition

needs clarication
13) How aggressive is the player interaction? Or does the game reward afresive play or does it allow nonagresive player to win (I cannot play agressive games with my So, we are just too soft with each other, but we can play psihologicaly agresive games or racing games (who is the first to score requred number of VPs))

Complexity
Again, this means various things. For some it means heavy decisions (whic is covered by the weight of the game) for other it means a vast variaty of decisions, which is covered by my question no. 4 and also no. 5, and even no. 12.

Ease of play.
what about:
14 Learning curve: How much time do you need to explain the rules and how many games must a person play to understand it?
15.) Is the theme appealing enough for non gamers (I'm trying to bring my PG to the table for ages) and is initial enthusiasm about hte theme rewarded with gameplay. Or maybe: how much play does the game see? (once a year, twice a day, each wedding anniversary?)

I support questions on
- replayability (very important)
- Multiple Paths to Victory (this might be covered in tactics VS strategy)
- Value for money (Oh yes, I'm looking at you FRED games, and you with RFTG expansions, do not try to hide!) - If a game has more publshers it must be spacified which publisher you are referring to.

Maybe not every game needs all the clarifications, you can make some: A or B or C-Irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
sgosaric wrote:
Do we need a subjective Randomness Question (Randomness Level Too much - Not enough)?

My only question is whether the random elements interfere with making interesting decisions and thus solving interesting problems.

Quote:
5) Does the gameplay favors tactics or strategy [/b](or something else entirely)

I would love to see a broadly agreed-upon and objective definition of strategy. I suspect one isn't possible.

Quote:
So - is a player in game, or is he outside of the game controling the game.

Some players are never immersed inside the game, and they usually don't look for this trait. Likewise, others will only play if they may be immersed. I fall in the first camp.

Quote:
Bad mechanics are those, where you feel outside of the game wondering what are you doing, but we can find more specific reasons for this.

I consider bad mechanisms to simply be patterns or mechanisms which are inconsistent with the base problem-solution posed by the game. This has nothing to do with theme or immersion or relevance to reality, just the tack the game takes on the problem it expresses.

Quote:
Quality of Theme
As mentioned before by Jonatan there are really 2 questions here
10) How much chrome does the game have and does it manage to use it well (good components, good ilustrations, pasted on theme, that manages to be immersive anyhow, etc).
11). How much thematic are the mechanics?
12) Eurogame VS Ameritrash (why not? Everybody uses these terms, it would at least be fun to vote for it). Maybe I'm contradicting myself as this is not a question that would tell me something very relevant about the game (though it might) but it would be fun to vote and see what other have voted for.

I don't value any of this. My sole question is: Does the theme or chrome interfere with the decisions made in playing the game or the attempt to solve the problem posed by the game? If it does, that's a problem. If it doesn't, then I don't care.

Quote:
- Multiple Paths to Victory (this might be covered in tactics VS strategy)

I've yet to see a reasonably complete and non-self-contradictory definition for multiple paths to victory. I'm not sure one exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding aggressive player interaction in games
sgosaric wrote:

13) How aggressive is the player interaction? Or does the game reward afresive play or does it allow nonagresive player to win (I cannot play agressive games with my So, we are just too soft with each other, but we can play psihologicaly agresive games or racing games (who is the first to score requred number of VPs))

Rating interaction levels based on aggressiveness is an intriguing concept. I would rate Race for the Galaxy as a favorable amount of interaction because I prefer indirect conflict over direct conflict. If a person doesn't like indirect interaction, my favorable rating of Race for the Galaxy's player interaction would not be useful. But saying that the interaction in Race for the Galaxy is not very aggressive is useful. A person thinking about purchasing Race would find that statistic useful. I would be very interested in finding more games that have a similar aggressiveness level to Race.

I like sgosaric's idea about aggressiveness and would be interested in seeing it implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would get more responses and a more useful results if you lower the number of questions your asking. Most large scale polls ask around 5 questions. BBG community is pretty helpful and patient on the whole so you could probably make it as long as 10 questions. People really don't want to answer more then that so you need to boil down what do you want to get out of this and clear out or condense the other questions. I had to sit through a couple seminars on polling and they seem to agree that the biggest mistake when people first do polls is they have to many question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so feedback to these polls has been extremely mixed so far. Some people really like them and others dislike them quite a lot. They have had a more negative reception than I expected, especially as my original test on Dominion: Intrigue got a very positive response.

Looks like I let my enthusiasm get the better of me and I made the mistake of creating too many polls before getting enough feedback on the early ones.

One clear piece of feedback seems to be that they are too long - too many questions. So lets cut the questions down.

Poll
So we need to cut down the number of questions. Which ones shall we keep and which shall we remove?
  Keep Remove
Level of Fun
Level of Replayability
Quality of Theme
How well does the game use the theme?
Number of Paths to Victory
Level of Tension/Excitement
Level of Intellectual Challenge
How Original is/was it?
Clarity of the Rulebook
Worth the time to play to the end?
Amount of Downtime
Quality of Artwork
Value for Money
Level of Competition
Ease to learn
Level of Complexity
Randomness Level
Randomness Impact Too…..
Amount of Set up Time
Level of Chrome
Ease to obtain
Level of Co-operation
Mass appeal
Box Portability
Availability of Online Play
      20 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

Then there are questions about the clarity of some. I've (slightly) reworded the questions again. Which are still unclear and/or subjective?

Poll
Which are unclear and/or subjective?
  Clear Unclear Subjective
Level of Fun
Level of Replayability
Quality of Theme
How well does the game use the theme?
Number of Paths to Victory
Level of Tension/Excitement
Level of Intellectual Challenge
How Original is/was it?
Clarity of the Rulebook
Worth the time to play to the end?
Amount of Downtime
Quality of Artwork
Value for Money
Level of Competition
Ease to learn
Level of Complexity
Randomness Level
Randomness Impact Too…..
Amount of Set up Time
Level of Chrome
Ease to obtain
Level of Co-operation
Mass appeal
Box Portability
Availability of Online Play
      15 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

I'm hoping that those who have made negative remarks will make a positive contribution to improving these polls by responding here. I hope I've already shown that I want this to be a success and will respond to constructive criticism on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Or should I pause for feedback/flames before I embark on this.

I was writing something a bit more meaningful, but I accidentally hit ctrl-fn-dingbat and my beautiful prose went away. Assume that I was brilliant, and implement everything I would have suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.