Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve posted a great geeklist on games which you rate a 10 after 20 plays, and which has now received 100 thumbs:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44753

The related thread included a discussion on what consititutes a 10, and it got me thinking about what a 10 is for me. I have generally stuck by the BGG standard, but even that gets interpreted a little, somewhere in the darker recesses of my brain. I looked through my ratings, and I do discern a pattern...

10 - I have loved these games for a long time. I expect to always love them. If I am ever forced to live in a retirement community with a closet for a room, I will make sure I somehow have a copy of these games with me. (Currently, only Chess gets a 10 from me.)

9 - Games I love, and are always a consideration for every gaming opportunity. Expect to always enjoy this game, though I have or could get temporarily burned out on them.

8 - These are games I always enjoy, but may not always suggest. Nontheless, they are extremely good games.

7 - These are good, solid games. I most often enjoy them, and will suggest them regularly.

NOTE: The above games are the first place I look for games to suggest for a gaming session.

6 - Better than average games rate a 6. I will sometimes suggest them, and will always play if someone suggests it. This is the second tier of games I will look to for a gaming session.

5 - So-so games. I generally won't suggest them, but will probably play if someone else suggests it.

Note: Games below this line I will never suggest, and would gladly get rid of if it weren't for other members of my family.

4 - I won't suggest these games, but I can tolerate playing them.

3 - Boring. Avoid these games. Only played with a gun to my head.

2 - Has a significant flaw which seriously affects gameplay for me. Run away!

1 - Clearly broken beyond repair.

So, how do you rate games? Sure, there are the BGG definitions, but is there a tiny voice inside your head that gives subtle nuances? (I have two of them. zombie ) People want to know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

pretty simple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.