Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I'm looking at:

Viva Topo - ($30)
Kids of Carcassonne - ($19)
Cheesy Gonzola - (??)
Der Schwarze Pirat - ($36)

The hits so far have been Max and Chateau Roquefort. Kids of Catan fell a little flat.

My 11 year old is already a pretty good gamer (plays all the grown up games) and will humor my 6 year old by playing with her and dad. 6yo can play a lot of the "grown up" games (Carcassonne, Jamaica, etc.) but after 20 minutes or so she loses interest. There's a also a 2 year old who will enjoy purchases in coming years

My 6yo likes Castle Keep - tile laying game - so I'm thinking KofC would be good. But Viva Topo looks kind of like "advanced Max" - which might be cool. Gonzola expands a favorite, but looks hard to get in the US(?). Der Schwarze Pirat looks very fun, and pirates are a popular theme with the 11 and ups (Pirate's Cove, Cartagena).

Also wondering if everyone would enjoy FITS - including 6yo because of shorter playing time? So might add that to list of possibilities

Just thought I'd request a few recs if you got 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest, Emerald, Ingenious and Formula Dé Mini our 6 & 8 year old like these and they play well with the whole family.

jedimusic wrote:

Also wondering if everyone would enjoy FITS - including 6yo because of shorter playing time? So might add that to list of possibilities

I've played this once and it didn't come to mind as playing well with our children, its a little bit too thinky, especially as you go up the levels and have tougher choices with how to lay your blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always read that Gulo Gulo is great for kids because their small hands makes them potentially more successful at winning than adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My younger son really enjoyed Max (4 at the time, now 5). So I thought that Viva Topo would be a hit. Turns out. Cat chasing mice, but with nicer pieces, and dice rolling (he loves dice). But strangely enough, he didn't like it. I think he got himself too worried about the cat eating his mice. So he might make moves that wouldn't make sense from a trying-to-win perspective (having his mice run into a hole that has no cheese left) just to keep his mice from being eaten.

Der Schwarze Pirat is fun, but only if the child has the dexterity to move their boats around the board effectively. My older son could use them fine at 6. My younger boy at 4 had trouble. If you're not sure, and you have one of those baby-booger suckers and something small that you could use to be the boat, you could give it to your 6 year old and see how he does.

Some other games that might be fun for a 6, 11, and grownup to play together:
Blokus (but if you're only going to play with 3, I'd go with Blokus Trigon)
Hey, That's My Fish!
Qwirkle
Hula Hippos
Animal Upon Animal
Powerboats (my 6 year old understands the rules fine. But he doesn't like it when he crashes.)
Unnamed Object (not my favorite game, but the kids love it)
Ave Caesar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viva Topo is a great kids game. My 5 year old really enjoys it. Its not interesting enough for an 11 year old though, but it should work well if he/she is willing to play down. If Max went over well, then this should too, as long as they dont miss the co-op aspect.

I also think Battle Ball is a good game for kids if they are interested in the theme. You can leave out the passing rules if they overcomplicate the game for the kids.

Guess Who could also work as a 2 player game between a 6 and 11 year old.

I'll second Incan Gold too. It is a great game for young kids and non-gamers. It can also handle 8 players. One very nice thing is that if the youngsters follow bizzare stategies it does not mess up the game balance for the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We (my wife, I, and my 2 daughters - 4 & 6 yr.) have really been enjoying Unnamed Object lately. Good, simple, push your luck game. My 6 yr. old has failed to win a single game of it so far, but still enjoys playing. That, my friend, is a good game in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thordarson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hey Thats My Fish!" is a great game for younger kids to adults. Trust me its not just a kids game. With the new larger and goofy penguin figures the kids will like it. Also ticket to ride is pretty easy as well for kids to pick up. A fast fun card game is "Slamwich" players try to build sandwiches fast and take the deck. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Hey, That's My Fish! is a good one, but not a top favourite in our house, Gulo Gulo gets chosen over it more often than not, talking of card games Pick Picknic does go down well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FITS would probably be a good choice -- in a similar vein, Ubongo might be even better. Very playable at age 6 and equally fun for grown-ups and older kids.

Viva Topo! may not hold much interest for your 11 year old (it'd be an indulging the young 'uns game), but it's definitely one of the better push your luck games for little ones and it's hysterical to watch them react to the cat.

We liked Akaba better than Schwarze Pirat which seemed frustratingly tippy to us. The bellows mechanism seemed to work better with flying carpets than masted ships.

Have you considered a hidden identities game like Spooky Stairs or (my personal fave) Ribbit? The bluffing elements turn what would otherwise be fairly simple race games into something more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind recoms. I guess I 'm leaning towards Viva Topo, but I'll give Gulo Gulo a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.