Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two sons, 12 and 10, who have been eager for some time to play some of "Daddy's" wargames (note that both of my sons are notoriously into videogames and online games). I thought Team Yankee would be an ideal game for them to get started on because it has programmed instruction, looks simple, and the first scenario is designed as an introduction to the game (you only have to read a couple of pages of rules to play it).

The first scenario ("To The Rescue") is an easy one - the Americans have two infantry squads and two M-3 Bradleys which must be set up in the village on map #1. They also get two M-1 Abrams which can enter the game from the north or western edge of the map on turn #1, but you have to choose which edge before the game starts. Since there is a road on the western edge leading to the village it's the obvious choice for a rescue. The Russians have three T-72s, three infantry squads and three BMPs to transport them. The Russians can set up anywhere within 10 hexes of any village hex - the infantry starts the game in the BMPs. The Russian objective is to clear the village of Americans; the American objective is to deny the Russian objectives. The game lasts eight turns.

My oldest picked the Russians and I set up the Americans in the village. Since there are four village hexes I placed the American infantry and the Bradleys individually on each village hex. My oldest placed the Russians in a rough circle around the village and the game was on. The Russians have the initiative, so my son got to go first. He immediately destroyed both Bradleys with his T-72s. Things quickly went downhill from there as I had some of the worst die rolls I have had in awhile. Even when the M-1s showed up they didn't last long, missing targets at point blank range. The game was easily over in three turns as the Americans were wiped off the map.

For the next game it was the youngest son's turn. He also picked the Russians (after seeing how easily they won the 1st game) and I set up the Americans exactly the same as the first game. He surrounded the village as his brother did and away we went. Except this time the Russians had the poor die rolls and the American rolls were hot. Although my youngest managed to kill one infantry unit and one Bradley, the Russians were blown away by the American firepower. I managed to use the infantry's anti-tank weaponry to good effect and the M-1s mopped up from there. Another three turn game but this time the Americans were the winners.

The oldest son decided to have some ice cream at this point in the evening, so it was rematch time with the youngest. We switched sides, so he set up the Americans in the village. I decided to show my boys the typical Russian mode of attack and had them approach the village in column formation from the east with the T-72s leading the way. The tanks quickly took care of the units in the eastern half of the village, and even with the eventual arrival of the M-1s it was too late. Once the M-1s were destroyed the game was over, again in three turns, for another Russian victory.

The boys then played each other twice, switching sides. The side that played the Russians won both games, so they split the wins between them. I don't believe either game went more than three turns.

Both boys thought the game was really cool and want to play it again soon. And so it begins - the introduction of two more sons into the hobby my brother and I grew up with in the era before computers and videogames. And am I pleased? Oh yeah...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
Both boys thought the game was really cool and want to play it again soon. And so it begins - the introduction of two more sons into the hobby my brother and I grew up with in the era before computers and videogames. And am I pleased? Oh yeah...

Excellent session report! And congrats on two new converts.

We in our house are also weighing the importance of family interactive games rather than video games. Those pesky videogames are just so darned addicting to kids. I'm looking forward to the time that I can share some of the "heavier" and meatier boardgames with my boys.

Many happy hours of (war)gaming ahead of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice for introducing your sons to wargaming! TY never loses the fun factor in favor of "realism", a feature I truly appreciate in a wargame, though there are few wargames that can boast as much.

Glad to see the torch being passed on!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.