Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaak
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I need that microbadge of game explainer, because I always find myself in front of an open box, telling my companions...."Well, let's say you're the child of a monarch..."

Anyway, I enjoy Dominion a lot, and find that other people catch on quick. Coming from a family of party gamers, I love having a gateway game I can pull off my shelf and share quickly and easily. The only problem I've found is if they're not familiar with more complex game mechanics, it can be hard to hold them all at once. So, what could be better than a handy turn-reference card?
(The answer is: nothing.)

I made a turn-sequence card for Bohnanza earlier and some folks seemed to like it.
(www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/427201)
It wasn't the best thing I've ever made... I wish it were more thematically aligned, but what can you do.
I tried to better with this card...

Hopefully this'll be approved for the files section and you can print and play. Have it on cardstock... tuck it in with your kingdom cards!
Distribute and enjoy! laugh

thumbsupThank you users Jason Spears (spearjr) and Dale Yu (yudp) for their template and font info. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/426860

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure a game as simple to play as Dominion needs a player reference card, but...

A couple of notes.

1. If Step 1 of the turn order is "Draw a hand of five cards," then you don't need Step 5. (In fact, that just confuses the issue.)

2. You should make a note (possibly in Step 1) that "If your draw deck is empty and you need to draw cards, shuffle your discard deck to make a new draw deck."

3. The last part of Step 2 might be clearer as something like: "Additional actions given by a card may be played after you have completed all other actions on that card. Additional buys and/or coins given by a card may be used during the Buy phase (Step 3)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the hand. Maybe you need to explain your game explanation card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaak
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. Though I agree the game may seem simple, I created and shared this because of my experience of teaching people the game and having them be confused with the turn sequences.
As far as the wording, I played around with the phrasing a lot, trying to keep a balance of clarity and briefness. If you're interested in editing the phrasing yourself, I can give you an editable file to do so.
As far as the hands, I just wanted some illustration to break up the text...hope it wasn't too confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to remove step 1. If I followed your guide, I'd draw 5 cards for my first turn, then draw 5 at the end of my first, and then draw another 5 at the beginning of turn 2. Essentially you're saying that every turn after the first you should have 10 cards.

You draw 5 at the end of your turn, and not the beginning, because it is possible you will have less or more than 5 cards by the time it becomes your next turn.

I'd go with the letters ABCD instead of numbers

A = Action
B = Buy
C = Clean-up
D = Draw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barksdale
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly overpowered for a 0 cost card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think you could write me a turn sequence reference for wiping my ass, too? I find that about as confusing as I do playing Dominion. Maybe for theme you could put it on toilet paper, though, since I'm the kind of person who needs your card, I'm clearly so stupid that I might actually wipe my ass with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducklette M
msg tools
mbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Do you think you could write me a turn sequence reference for wiping my ass, too? I find that about as confusing as I do playing Dominion. Maybe for theme you could put it on toilet paper, though, since I'm the kind of person who needs your card, I'm clearly so stupid that I might actually wipe my ass with it.

Clearly this card wasn't written for you, it was written for people who are excited to try Dominion but don't have the "gamer's mind" to grasp the turn sequence right away. Or rather, it was written for their friends, who would like the game to move along more quickly than it does when they have to stop and explain things every hand for the first several rounds.

In 3 nasty sentences you've managed to insult all the people who fall into the above two categories as well as imply you would like to smear your shit on this guy's hard work. Nice.

If the card doesn't seem helpful to you, there are about a billion other threads and files to comment on instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ducklette wrote:
In 3 nasty sentences you've managed to insult all the people who fall into the above two categories as well as imply you would like to smear your shit on this guy's hard work. Nice.

What an awesomely hysterical and literal interpretation of my post. What a cutie-pie you are! And also what a coincidence that you and "this guy", as you put it, apparently completely unconnected to you, both rate Cranium WOW a 7. And are both ducks.

The mentality of treating "civilians" as idiots who are too stupid to understand even the most basic of our games is patronising, infantilising and alienating when it makes people think that the games are "hard". Dominion can be understood by anybody with half a brain cell. It does not require a turn sequence reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.