Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently brushed off some of the dust on BSG. 4 experienced players, just a little rusty on the rules, but non-the-less we had a hard time picking the game (game night on a Thursday is a little though since there is a time limit factor and trying to get some sleep for work on Friday). We all finally decided on BSG just because we hadn't played for a long, long time and the other choices we had on the table would take just as long (if not longer - RISK, Catan w/ all expansions).

Rolling to see who picked characters first, Josh and I both rolled a "8" so it was a "roll-off!"... He rolled a 5 and I rolled a (hard) 8 again. I got to pick first.

For some reason I always tend to lean toward the command characters, and after some debate I choose Col. Ty. Josh is up next and he picks Starbuck. Rachel picks Baltar and Nate breathed a sigh of relief cause he had his pick of characters. He chooses Helo.

After setting up the board, we are off. Early on, we are all doing well, we aren't overshooting the skill checks, but we aren't failing them either. Starbuck and Helo are in their vipers doing a good job of defending the civilian ships under attack. Ty was in communications, moving the ships around. We jump.

Destination = 2: Plus there is a chance to risk a raptor to get 2 fuel. We succeed. All is well, still passing crisis/skill checks fairly well.... Then the President Baltar decides to use a Quorum Card to reveal Cylon Mugshots and look at someone's loyalty card. Rachel decides to look at Josh's card and then proceeds to not tell anyone the result. Growing suspicious, we tell her that it's probably in her best interest to tell us, cause if she doesn't we'll suspect her. After some thought, she accuses Josh of being a Cylon, and Josh is quite shocked. So now we have the dilemma that one of them is definitely a Cylon. After minutes of laughing hysterically (due to the fact that Josh and Rachel are dating and this situation almost always arises between them - accusing one another after looking at loyalty cards). Nate and I have a tough decision to make. Before we can do anything, we have an Ambush cylon attack and we are all in the throws of reacting to the surprise attack.

During this attack a heavy raider is launched really close to the back of the ship and becomes a high priority target. Helo gets into a viper and starts piloting, but then another cylon attack card is played on his crisis, putting even more cylon ships on the board (one more base star and raiders at the front).

With the board getting crowded, the admiral decides it is nuke time and manages to destroy one basestar and 3 raiders.... ROCK!. Breathing room was made a bit, but during the crisis, another attack card is played, placing another basestar and more raiders on the board. FRAK. Starbuck is in a viper and does some fancy flying to destroy some of the new raiders. Baltar is very eager to help with the combat, and does more quoruming as well. At this point the people we think are cylons are doing an awful lot to help the humans at this point. Helo and the Admiral have an open discussion about how one of them is playing the role well... but we need to deal with the attack first before trying to brig both of them. Helo has a decent turn (destroying a couple raiders, but at this point its just really hard to see the end of this attack). Admiral decides to use the last nuke and destroys another basestar and 3 raiders.

All this time, we have not really moved on the jump track. We hadn't been loosing resources, but we needed to get out of there soon.

Josh does some piloting... not very well since his attacks don't get rid of a lot, but it's something. Rachel reveals herself as a cylon, I think the group was pretty much in agreement she was a cylon, but we were milking the fact that she was trying really hard not to be thrown in the brig and really helping us. Nate goes and it seems like we are stuck in this destination for a while.

My next turn consisted of using communications to bunch the civilian ships together. Josh goes and destroys a couple more raiders (also trying to destroy the heavy raider that is now ready to have a cylon boarding party board Galactica.

Rachel's turn, we brace ourselves.... and she plays her super crisis card which is the super attack. Virtually ALL of the cylon ships are now on the board and all but 2 civilian ships are placed as well. Things looked pretty bleak - especially since Galactica is taking a lot of damage and some of our resources and tanking fast.

A couple more rounds and Galactica has 4 damage tokens on it (including our FTL and Armory). The humans exo each other and I have to go to the research lab to grab some repair cards. Cylons fire on Galactica again, and we have 5 damage tokens.... I get exoed by Josh to rush over and fix the FTL location.... Rachel fires on Galactica again... HIT, one more location and we are goners. She picks the token and we lose a food. Dodged that bullet. Nate goes next and by some miracle we jump and don't loose 3 pop. 2+ for destination and we reach the sleeper phase (even though we already know who the cylon is).

The rest of the game we spent dealing with water shortages and scouting. The cylons kept on their tactic to damaging Galactica, but we slowly got the old gal repaired. Cylons then switched to picking crisis cards to start dwindling our resources down.

We had a couple of bad morale speeches and we were down to 1 more raptor due to bad scouting. Somehow we get to 8 destination and start scouting like crazy to jump again. Fuel is down to 3, Food is down to 2, Morale is down to 1, our population believe it or not is still at 9.

We had one crisis card that we had to roll or lose 1 morale, but dramatically still made it through without losing it.

Finally move enough on the jump track to use the FTL location and we jump.

Humans win.

It was nice to play BSG since we hadn't done it in a while, but we finished up near midnight. Little rough driving home and being dogg tired in the morning. I'm still a little shocked the humans survived those string of attacks. Crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow, every time we play, all the cylon attack cards are in the same place in the deck. I swear I shuffle it, but they still wind up there together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that happens to us a lot, but this particular game was just ridiculous.

At most we've had 2 in small span, but this one seemed like the attacks just kept coming. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Beukema
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic! Even if you'd died on Kobol's doorstep, you'd have ended up with a nobler loss than we humans suffered in a game last spring. That one was a slow and annoying death mostly due to food & water shortages. Despite a lack of Cylon attacks, we were ground down, made it to the last jump to Kobol, and then lost our last morale when Elections Loomed. We described it as "everyone got sad that the elections were coming, and offed themselves."

Great storytelling, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
personwholives wrote:
Somehow, every time we play, all the cylon attack cards are in the same place in the deck. I swear I shuffle it, but they still wind up there together.

Take a look at this thread.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/407603

There's about a 3/4 chance of one or more streaks somewhere in the deck.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.