Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb

New Republic (grrrr..) vs Sith (yay!!!)

250pts

Format: Master & Apprentice
Map: Christophsis

New Republic
Grand Master Luke Skywalker
Jango Fett, Bounty Hunter (Master)
Boba Fett, young mercenary (Apprentice)
General Antilles
Greedo
Twi’lek Black Sun Vigo
Snivvian Fringer
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Sith
Darth Sidious, Sith Master (Apprentice)
Darth Pagueis (Master)
Dash Rendar, smuggler
HK-50
Bossk, Bounty Hunter
Whiphid
Jawa Trader
Sith Apprentice
Mouse Droid

When I write these Session Reports I often try to keep it imbalanced. I don’t want to boast that I won or cry that I lost. But this game is different, so let me start by saying I WON! But this was by no means a good thing, but I’ll explain that at the conclusion of the report.

I don’t like New Republic. I’m not a fan of the novels of that era, the characters and they are an overpowered Faction in Star Wars minis IMHO. But we randomised our Factions as usual and I was New Republic. No problem, I’d throw a twist into our Master & Apprentice format and play Jango & baby Boba. Including Wedge was a no-brainer, and GMLS just to see if he really was worth his 115pt cost. I like the odd wildcard in my squad, so I threw in Greedo from Rebel Storm, the first set. And my almost usual filler in the form of the Snivvian Fringer and the obligatory Uggy.

You mock me with your evil!

I like Sith, probably my favourite Faction, but they are far from the strongest SWM Faction. Too much Melee on high cost pieces with few defensive powers. When my friend showed me his squad I thought he was mocking me. He knows I like the new Sidious and that Bossk is one of my favourite Star Wars characters. And he knows I love KOTOR, and he was using HK-50 and the Sith Apprentice who is based on Darth Bandon. Plagueis was an interesting choice, but fitted the Master & Apprentice format.

We set up at either end of the map both using the control room on the side as cover. The control room would become the main staging ground for the skirmish, as it always does with this map. From the off we both went at it, both squads moving towards each other.

With Wedge granting Mobile attack my New Republic squad could use the room at the center of the office as cover, except for Luke who needed to get close to be effective. Moving Luke forward would also draw attacks aware from the weaken pieces in my squad and also Jango, who was may primary ranged attacking piece.

Sith replied with some clever unpreventable damage attacks on Grand Master Luke - the Sith Apprentice used Sith Grip, Bossk charged forward with Flame-Thrower, then was Pawned by Sidious to Flame-Thrower again. Second round and Luke was already a third of his Hit Points down.

But now the New Republic could retaliate. Luke closed in and defeated Bossk, and shortly after that the Sith Apprentice. Luke was the Sith’s only legal target but his Force Defence was a problem to Sidious & Plagueis as their Sith powers could be cancelled. Jango managed to catch both the Mouse Droid and Whiphid with Flame-Thrower while Greedo defeated the Jawa.

May the Dice be with you...

The dice suddenly became very random for a couple of rounds. Dash missed four attacks on Luke while Luke was able to land attacks on Sidious. Jango missed a double attack on Plagueis. The next round Dash lands three attacks on Greedo, one being a critical, only for Greedo to evade two of them, including the Crit, and remain in play.

Sith out-play Luke who is down to 4 Force Points and 30 HPs. Sidious uses Lightening, which Luke cancels. But Luke doesn’t have enough FPs to cancel Plagueis’s Force Corruption. So the 115pt beatstick falls, but the focus on Luke has harmed the Sith. Plagueis, Sidious & Dash are down to 20 Hit Points, allowing Jango to easily pick off Plagueis. Most of Dash’s attack get evaded but he does remove young Boba from play who had had a mixed game.

End game

New Republic have Jango, Twi’lek Vigo, Snivvian and Wedge on full HPs with Greedo on 10 HPs. Sith have Dash & Sidious on 20 HPs and HK-50 on 70 HPs. With Jango capable of picking off Sidious with ease the Sith player moves Sidious to the back of the map effectively making him nothing more than an activation. The Sith try one more offensive with HK-50 charging towards the Twi’lek Vigo only for the attack to be evaded yet again. The Sith player concedes the game, saying he has no chance especially against a full health Jango Fett & Wedge.

Conclusion

New Republic are the top Faction of Star Wars minis, well maybe equal to Republic General Obi-Wan Kenobi squads. My friends claim New Republic can be beat, but it has now been six games undefeated for New Republic with us alternating playing them. They probably can be beat, but in the four years I’ve been playing Star Wars minis, even at the height of the Empires Black & Blue squads, no single Faction has ever had seven wins in a row. So I'm not happy that I won because it's all just starting to get a bit too easy with them. The FORCE is certainly with New Republic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear the Sith's mighty, terrifying... mouse droid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
Fear the Sith's mighty, terrifying... mouse droid?

If you're not SWM player, it may be surprising to hear that the mouse droid is one of the highest rated figures in the game. (Seriously.)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Characters/Ratings.aspx

It is one of the lowest cost figures, is hard to hit (high defense presumably because it's small and fast), and does just one thing - extend the range of commander effects. It can double or triple the effectiveness of commanders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hoang
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Let me preface this by saying that I do like the New Republic, as it was the New Jedi Order series of books that really pulled me into the Star Wars world.

Now, I do think that they can be beat, however, it may be very hard in the atmosphere that you currently play in. Because of the randomness involved in how you play out skirmishes (which I think is fantastic), it's almost as if any faction's strengths and weaknesses exist in a vacuum.

While I don't play competitively, I do enjoy following the competitive scene and paying attention to the meta. A lot of times, there are rock-paper-scissors situations where a squad will be very good, but gets easily beaten by another, but that squad gets beaten by another. Without the presense of meta and other squads within, the strengths of a particular faction get amplified.

With the New Republic, there are a couple of things that spring to mind. One, it's actually a relatively small faction. Definitely not the smallest, but the number of "go to" minis in it are fairly limited. Case in point: Wedge. Nearly every NR squad uses him. And so the NR gets the benefit of being as strong as its strongest minis.

Second, most of the time NR = evade/GMA. Which is a potent combination. The Sith squad going against the NR is mostly shooters and force users. Evade makes the shooters half as effective, and Luke provided the nice juicy tempting target for all the force users to spend their direct damage on.

Basically, I see NR more as a tweakable squad than as a faction ("Wedge and his followers"), and a potent one that is a rock-paper-scissor style squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't agree more with the rock-paper-scissors analogy, SWM is very much that.

And you are right that the way we play makes it difficult find a balance - but it is still a fun way to play.

NR is a small faction, and the biggest downside with them is that you have to rely on the same characters each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The New Republic squad listed is definitely better than the Sith sqaud listed. Dash Rendar is a great character, but he needs boosts to be effective. he works quite well with Darth Malak Dark Lord of the Sith to boost his attack. This Malak+ Dash and a good supporting cast can compete against the New Republic sqaud listed.

New Republic is very strong right now because with Leia Skywalker and Wedge you give all your followers evade with the ability to get 2 save rolls instead of 1. Or you can play just leia skywalker with some great evade characters like twilek black sun vigo, Boba Fett Bounty Hunter, Lando Dashing Scoundrel and Jaraeal since they already have evade. Also, there is a new vong with affinity you can add to jump in front of powerful force characters while your shooters wittle away. No offense to her husband, but I would almost prefer Mara Jade, Jedi over Grand Master Luke because she only costs 45, has stealth, can shoot, can move six and make 4 lightsaber attacks with lightsaber assault/twin attack. Luke's a beast, but for 115 cost and only 150 hit points your squad can be decimated if he's taken out without dealing much damage.

I should also mention that GOWK is now banned. The combo of mettle, soretsu and master of the force 2 was just too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kharnik wrote:

I should also mention that GOWK is now banned. The combo of mettle, soretsu and master of the force 2 was just too strong.

He's only banned for DCI. He's still legal for the game Ugavine is playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.