3 Posts

War and Peace» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have a copy of the second edition rule book, I am happy to let anyone have this for just the postage

Thanks

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew clark
United Kingdom
leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question requiring clarification regarding Russian Guard units:

Although it appears from the rules that the morale of these units is 3 it seems they are not used in the same way as the french guard in that there are no optional rules for them.

Is it the case then that their morale only counts when they are the majority of strength units in a stack rather than 'committing them' as per the french guard rule.

In the early game scenarios the stack would have to be quite small as there are only 2 guard infantry and 1 guard cavalry right?

Cheers,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicomte13 13
msg tools
Matt, that's right. The Russian Guard, and the other optional guard units, are elite regular units, but they are not the French Imperial Guard.

The nature of the French Imperial Guard is that once they are committed, even if there's only one unit, the whole French Army goes to Morale 3. But if a demoralized result is drawn for the French (even a D1, which would in theory leave the Guard at Morale 2 and the rest of the French army at Morale 1), the whole French Army goes to morale zero because the impossible has happened, the Guard has broken!

This is why the use of the French Guard is so perilous.

What I generally do, if I am going to have to fight many rounds of combat because the opposing forces are large - Waterloo, for example - is fight with the regular French army for round after round and try to win with it. But if the regular French army is knocked all the way down to zero by a D2, and I absolutely HAVE to win the battle - like Waterloo! - THEN I commit the Guard, and all of a sudden the French Army is all at Morale 3. If the combat has gone on for awhile, the other side may be chopped up too and down in morale, and that sudden swing can be devastating.

The rules are not entirely clear as to what happens to that Demoralization chit. I interpret the rule to mean that once the Guard is committed the French morale goes up to three and stays there as long as the guard is committed. If the guard is demoralized, even a D1, then the whole French army is D3 and the disastrous rout ensues. But if the Guard is not demoralized, but is simply wiped out through losses, the French army's morale is RESTORED by the committment of the guard, so the demoralization chit is removed.

One need not commit any remaining Guard to rounds after that. So, the Guard acts as a sort of "reset" button on French morale, but there isn't that MUCH guard, so this is not something that can be done many times.

Note that a weird special case occurs if there is a column of guard in which the guard are the majority of units. Then the whole stack is morale 3, and the Guard itself is automatically committed. So even a D-1 result demoralizes the whole stack.

The French Guard was unique, and brittle. When it broke at Waterloo, it was the end of the Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.