Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: Hiding Profile Data rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: privacy [+] [View All]
Nicolas Theiler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to hide parts of the user profile (making it private). The collection most prominently but other things as well. As you can see in my profile, there is almost no data at all and the only reason for that is because everything is visible to everyone else. I'd like to contribute a lot more and make some friends on BGG but won't do that as longs as everyone can follow me around and look over my shoulder while breathing down on my neck. Well, the public isn't the primary problem actually but there are some people on BGG that I really don't want to have following me around and standing behind me.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think is not possible.
You can solve your problem by making another account with a nick only you know, and then you can contribute and participate with your real profile...
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Theiler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I do now because this account here IS a dupe but it is all very inconvenient. Separating the collection, submissions and other stuff into multiple accounts just makes the experience here so much worse. I'm a bit perplexed at all of this because on any community side, even the bad ones, this is one of the most rudimentary features and that shouldn't be surprising. We all like our privacy, some more, some less. But making everything, absolutely every click, every message and even personal collection info public seems very strange to me. Even google is more concerned with protecting their "customers" and that's one hell of a statement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
webregkey wrote:
That's what I do now because this account here IS a dupe but it is all very inconvenient. Separating the collection, submissions and other stuff into multiple accounts just makes the experience here so much worse. I'm a bit perplexed at all of this because on any community side, even the bad ones, this is one of the most rudimentary features and that shouldn't be surprising. We all like our privacy, some more, some less. But making everything, absolutely every click, every message and even personal collection info public seems very strange to me. Even google is more concerned with protecting their "customers" and that's one hell of a statement.


What are you hiding?

What games you own?
What your opinions are?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Theiler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are multiple examples. For instance what games I have played, how many times and when. I'd like to record that information for myself to keep track of it but there is no way in hell I want other people to know when and where I did what. The collection is another thing, I might want to own games I'd rather not have some people know I do. And I find it rather troublesome that it is so easy to follow other people around on the geek and see very detailed how and when this site is used.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought of boardgaming as a very social hobby and have no problems with people knowing who I am, what I play, and what I own. I'm met some wonderful people here and from those connections have met them in real life.

Except for I suppose "adult" games you don't want people to know you own I can't think of a reason to worry about others seeing what you play or own. In that case I guess you'll have to have a dummy account to keep track of those games. Or what you could do is use another game as a code for playing that kind of game.

I know the media portrays the internet as a place full of stalkers but I don't think anyone is going to get much use from info of you playing Dominion last Saturday!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Theiler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Providing information to strangers should always be an option, never a requirement. And what does it matter if your opinion is different from mine? That's not the point. To each his own. Let me make examples:

Let's say I'm an IT security specialist and I do have a lot of enemies on the net. The chance of one of them connecting my BGG account to my real person is slim but it's there and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Maybe I'm some kind of celebrity or conservative politician and some journalist connecting the dots could expose me here with various implications.

This is but two possible explanations. Just because you have nothing to hide, doesn't mean others do not and have a good reason to do so to boot with. But we go off-topic here. This thread isn't about the why it is about the how. Is it possible or is it not. The rest shouldn't concern anyone but me.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were a paranoid IT sec guy you wouldn't use a public non-SSL protected site to enter any kind of data.
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
webregkey wrote:
Is there a way to hide parts of the user profile (making it private). The collection most prominently but other things as well. As you can see in my profile, there is almost no data at all and the only reason for that is because everything is visible to everyone else. I'd like to contribute a lot more and make some friends on BGG but won't do that as longs as everyone can follow me around and look over my shoulder while breathing down on my neck. Well, the public isn't the primary problem actually but there are some people on BGG that I really don't want to have following me around and standing behind me.


This functionality already exists. It's called a spreadsheet. The purpose of entering data into BGG is so other people can see it.
27 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are journals you can purchase that are made for recording the info you want. However, they are hard copy and that may not be what you are looking for. The nice thing about the Journal is you can carry it around to anywhere you want to play games. You can do that with a laptop or a phone I know, but I find it more work.

I don't know if you can hide your info on BGG, I suggest you ask one of the admins in a private message.

Peace

PS. I obviously have little to hide, thats my photo!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
webregkey wrote:
Let's say I'm an IT security specialist and I do have a lot of enemies on the net. The chance of one of them connecting my BGG account to my real person is slim but it's there and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Maybe I'm some kind of celebrity or conservative politician and some journalist connecting the dots could expose me here with various implications.

I'm sorry, but I have to call you on this one. I still don't see any negative ramifications about displaying online the board games you own and the ones you play. Even with your examples listed (a celebrity and a politician) what possible implications could arise from playing board games?

We already have a few notable names on BGG, and they don't seem to care that their board game habits are listed for all to see. I don't think your examples hold water--not that you need to justify why you want your data hidden. But BGG is essentially a social database, and being paranoid about the most mundane aspects of one's life is rather odd.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no reason too, and there shouldn't be a reason too, and there is no ability to. If it matters that much to you, I don't even know why you would even bother.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I personally don't want to hide (and don't hide) any of my data here, I'll take the OPs side on this one.

The "what do you have to hide" is a common, spurious anti-privacy argument.

The IPSec argument, while an interesting point, is more of a finer question of trade offs in security. While it's good to be aware that anyone can be sniffing your data, securing your profile from causal browsers is still a valid security request.

The why's for folks who might want to secure some of their profile are varied, I'm sure. One might just generally not like sharing that much info with strangers. Perhaps you don't want spammers harvesting your contact info. One might have an ex-spouse or the like stalking them. Perhaps you don't want your boss to be able to see you were playing games last night instead of working unpaid overtime on some project. Perhaps future employers, googling you for a potential interview, might not understand your session report on destroying American troops with your Tiger tanks. Perhaps the account belongs to your child.

Aside from some practical and ease of use matters - I certainly would want to avoid recording my play info in more than one location, if I possibly could - there are some potential benefits to the community at large. If one assumes there are more folk out there of a like mind - who would record plays, ratings, session reports if they could secure them - then the community is missing out on those potential contributions.

I personally don't record some potential additional info with my plays (full names of opponents, for example), that I might if I could control who saw that info.

BGG, while a gaming site, is also a social site. Most other social sites - facebook, etc. - do contain such controls, and with excellent reason.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the typical path most choose to conceal their identity is to use a pseudonym on BGG. That way you can fully share your gaming purchases, activities, interests, etc., without revealing your actual real life identity. You can also tell your real life friend your pseudonym if you wish.

Leave out your real name, your location, pictures that include you, and you are good to go.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
webregkey wrote:
I'd like to contribute a lot more

You want to contribute more, but you want all of your contributions to be hidden? Then what's the point?


Track your collection on your own computer using Excel or something if you don't want it online.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is that there is probably a subset of folks who would contribute various elements, if they had the control to hid/restrict some part of their profiles. I don't think he's saying that he wants everything hidden, and even if he did, it still could be useful for more ratings to contribute to aggregates.

I should clarify a few things on my own stance:

I acknowledge that this site is subject to the whims and desires of the site creators, and I in no way feel they are obligated to take any suggestions;

I acknowledge that the vast majority of current users (including me) appear to not feel any worries about sharing most data;

I acknowledge that there's a subset of folks who do in fact contribute via using a second account, or who just don't add info they don't want to share.


Mainly, I just feel that there's nothing wrong with suggesting such controls. A suggestion is just that. I find nothing alarming or suspicious about the desire to have such controls. There are certainly a few friends which whom I might go so far to share my debit PIN; or what I make each year, or so on, which I don't care to share with a wider audience. There's things on facebook that I might only want "friends" or even a subset of "friends" to see - say, if I'm having relationship or work problems.

While I don't mind sharing my collection, I could see being worried about it. Folks have already been targeted from social sites via showing both some of the items they own, and the fact that they were on vacation. Mind you, it was reported in the news, and being newsworthy by definition means it's rare enough that most folks shouldn't worry about it, but that's up to the individual, no?

I could see, were someone so disposed, that they could:
Review game collections for large ones, or ones containing rare games;
Wait for one of those person to post a "games I'm taking on vacation" geeklist;
Submit a trade request/purchase or offer to sell an item to get their address (or merely do some searching for it).

Now you have the info needed to hit their house while their out of town.

I personally don't worry about that much, but I can see how some folks might. I like options, and I'm not sure I see the harm in asking for the option to keep some data private?
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
webregkey wrote:
Is there a way to hide parts of the user profile (making it private). The collection most prominently but other things as well. As you can see in my profile, there is almost no data at all and the only reason for that is because everything is visible to everyone else. I'd like to contribute a lot more and make some friends on BGG but won't do that as longs as everyone can follow me around and look over my shoulder while breathing down on my neck. Well, the public isn't the primary problem actually but there are some people on BGG that I really don't want to have following me around and standing behind me.


This functionality already exists. It's called a spreadsheet. The purpose of entering data into BGG is so other people can see it.


Uh, no it's not. I use BGG to track my collection, and I don't mind rating games to allow the data to be aggregated.

I am starting to get annoyed by people contacting me to ask if I want to trade a game. If I did, I'd list it. Frankly, it's nobody's business what I own.

Our culture is sliding towards a total lack of privacy (witness the insane stuff being posted to Facebook), and I wish BGG would allow us some granularity of control.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
Avatar
mbmb
Hmmmmm...basically, I understand, that you don't want people to know what you are doing. That's your right.
But if you are using an account without your real name and without your location - wouldn't this be what you want? After all you don't have to give your real name and location. Wouldn't this be anonymus enough?

Edit: To clarify: Yes, I have read you second post but don't understand, why you would need to use two accounts to do what you want. Why is it important to you, to have one account that's "really you"?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mvinarcik wrote:
I use BGG to track my collection, and I don't mind rating games to allow the data to be aggregated.

I am starting to get annoyed by people contacting me to ask if I want to trade a game. If I did, I'd list it. Frankly, it's nobody's business what I own.


Put in your profile that if a game is not listed for trade then you do not want to be contacted about a trade.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mvinarcik wrote:
Uh, no it's not. I use BGG to track my collection, and I don't mind rating games to allow the data to be aggregated.

I am starting to get annoyed by people contacting me to ask if I want to trade a game. If I did, I'd list it. Frankly, it's nobody's business what I own.


If it's nobody's business what you own, then don't mark "I own this" on a public site.

Keep track of your collection in a spreadsheet, journal, etc, and only rate games here.

In general, the best rule-of-thumb for Internet security is to treat EVERYTHING you've EVER done on the Internet as ANNOUNCED VIA GLOBAL TELEPROMPTER TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

If there is some information or data that you are not comfortable releasing to the world, simply do not enter it into your browser... anywhere... anytime... anyhow... under any circumstances.

Yes, even credit card numbers. You put these online not because it's safe to do so, but because your bank provides protection in the rare but completely possible circumstance your card gets jacked.

Internet security is a myth propagated by antivirus software, security layers, passwords, user permissions, etc. These things are not "safety"; they are bouncers with bigger muscles than would-be brawlers.

The online environment is inherently unsafe for data; true safety exists only in LANs, not WANs.

Never do or say or type anything online that you, literally, don't want the world to know.

4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, while I in general agree with the sentiment that it's best plan than anything you put online might become public, I wouldn't go quite so far in some of the statements.

NateStraight wrote:
Internet security is a myth propagated by antivirus software, security layers, passwords, user permissions, etc. These things are not "safety"; they are bouncers with bigger muscles than would-be brawlers.


But, bouncer with bigger muscles are safety. All security (not just Internet) is always a trade off between cost (monetary/freedom/convenience) and the security it provides (or may provide). Also, no security is perfect, so it's always a question of trade-offs. Some are no-brainers (I don't post my credit card to billboards), some are obviously not worth it (putting my credit card, unactivated, into a concrete block, which I then secrete at the bottom of a lake, and hire folks to guard the lake). Different folks have different opinions about the choices more in the middle, so I think options are good. It's not black and white.

NateStraight wrote:
Yes, even credit card numbers. You put these online not because it's safe to do so, but because your bank provides protection in the rare but completely possible circumstance your card gets jacked.

The online environment is inherently unsafe for data; true safety exists only in LANs, not WANs.


I would strongly disagree. I would say that "the online environment is inherently less safe for data". There are plenty of ways that one can transfer data, encrypted, over the internet, that are very safe. Yes, it's less safe than if it's just sitting on an unconnected server somewhere, but also correspondingly less useful.

Consider banks. Your money (or valuables) are less safe when they are being transported by armored cars to another bank location, but they are not by any stretch "unsafe".

Certainly, the internet does involve putting your trust in many on-line retailers, where the decisions on how to secure your data are out of your hands.

However, your above example of credit card numbers is an excellent choice. The vast, vast majority of compromised credit card numbers come from various processing centers or large retailers getting databases broken into or stolen. Some of these instances have been via the internet (hacked), but many have been insiders, back up tapes physically stolen, etc.

And in almost all of those cases, the databases contain credit card numbers from folks using brick and mortar stores, who may have never gone online. Practically nobody wants to sniff your internet traffic to try and capture your credit card number, when such vast break-ins provide much larger returns. Even if you are a small operator, you merely go to online black markets to buy credit card numbers from such compromised databases.

Yes, folks do get tricked online by scams (phishing emails, hacked World of Warcraft accounts) where their credit card info might get stolen. They do need to watch out for that. But, they also get tricked by fake investing schemes, the retail worker who steals their credit card number after a purchase, etc.

Anyway, this is drifting off topic. On topic, the point is that (in my opinion) it's not black and white - the choice shouldn't be either don't store your game info on-line, or choose to make it public. Yes, if one does choose to store it on-line, be aware of the increased risks, but weight it against increased benefit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
mvinarcik wrote:
I use BGG to track my collection, and I don't mind rating games to allow the data to be aggregated.

I am starting to get annoyed by people contacting me to ask if I want to trade a game. If I did, I'd list it. Frankly, it's nobody's business what I own.


Put in your profile that if a game is not listed for trade then you do not want to be contacted about a trade.



That's a decent idea. :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
mvinarcik wrote:
Uh, no it's not. I use BGG to track my collection, and I don't mind rating games to allow the data to be aggregated.

I am starting to get annoyed by people contacting me to ask if I want to trade a game. If I did, I'd list it. Frankly, it's nobody's business what I own.


If it's nobody's business what you own, then don't mark "I own this" on a public site.

Keep track of your collection in a spreadsheet, journal, etc, and only rate games here.

In general, the best rule-of-thumb for Internet security is to treat EVERYTHING you've EVER done on the Internet as ANNOUNCED VIA GLOBAL TELEPROMPTER TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

If there is some information or data that you are not comfortable releasing to the world, simply do not enter it into your browser... anywhere... anytime... anyhow... under any circumstances.

Yes, even credit card numbers. You put these online not because it's safe to do so, but because your bank provides protection in the rare but completely possible circumstance your card gets jacked.

Internet security is a myth propagated by antivirus software, security layers, passwords, user permissions, etc. These things are not "safety"; they are bouncers with bigger muscles than would-be brawlers.

The online environment is inherently unsafe for data; true safety exists only in LANs, not WANs.

Never do or say or type anything online that you, literally, don't want the world to know.



I agree with you, believe it or not.

I'm on LinkedIn, but I've got my profile set to not allow people to see my network (and frankly, I don't care about other people's, I just want to keep track of business colleagues and college buddies). I wish BGG gave me the same choice without having to set up a dummy name and such.

I realize the site's grown a lot...and I don't think it's unreasonable to desire a feature like this in 2010.

I look at it this way...BGG is forcing me to put my collection (all right, the collection I've chosen to post) in the front window of my house. If I play a game, comment on it, or whatever else, with a guest that's one thing (i.e. forum posts), but I should be allowed to choose who I bring into the storage area to view my collection.

I expect forum posts and such to be public...I desire the ability to have some privacy for other things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that a "private" option would be a really good addition, and [to answer the other post] that my earlier post was a tad extreme. Rules need to be absolute to be helpful for guiding behavior, even if they can at times be broken. I find it's just a good way to handle yourself online to consider everything to be fair game. With the way Google, ISPs, Yahoo, Smartphones, etc can and do track everything you do, it's just safe to assume and act as if the worst is going to happen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mvinarcik wrote:
I am starting to get annoyed by people contacting me to ask if I want to trade a game. If I did, I'd list it.


Wow. I've never thought to ask every owner of a game if they want to trade it.

However, Every time that I have contacted someone who actually has a game marked as available for trade I have either received no response or a response of "I'm not trading that right now" or "I already traded/sold that and forgot to unmark it".

Users not keeping their trade lists up to date and not actually willing to trade what they have marked available for trade might be the reason you are getting unsolicited inquiries.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.