Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a block game fan and am looking at purchasing either of these two games but am having a tough time deciding which of the two. Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Reed
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have only played Europe Engulfed. One reason I got EE was its scope. It includes the Russian war, the Mediterranean war and the war in France. It does take a long time to finish a game, but it's quite rewarding.

Another good reason to get EE is its price. Right now you can get it as cheap as $50 (if you make a big order with the GMT sale).

I've only heard good things about Eastfront (and Eurofront). So, I'm sure you can't go wrong with either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You may have already seen this, but there are some comments here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/215296

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what your parameters are, I guess...

Want all of ETO? EE
Want to game just the Russian Front? EF
Better use of blocks? EF
Better simulation? EF
More chrome? EE
Two player? EF
Three player? EE
Fog of War? EF
Easier to Learn? EF
Better game? YMMV
Smaller scenarios? EF
Air? Naval? Production subsystems? EE
Aesthetics? EF
Hexes? EF
Areas? EE
Time limited? EE

If I had to pick one? East Front hands down. I really like much of the things that EE has to offer but I think the block system in EE falls apart because there are not enough areas on the board for the fog of war to have a meaningful effect. When the Germans are spread over three area and two of the areas have one block each and the other area has 17 blocks, well, not much suspense there.....

East Front does a far better job of simulating the fog of war. Also their use of headquarters really captures the feel of launching limited offensives that narrow as you push forward...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Depends on what your paramters are, I guess...

Great list, that really helped me sum up my own preferences in relation to these games. EFII is my pick in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
both are outstanding with good replay value and in spite of being block games, they are good in solo play. computer east front is also good if you have XP or earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.