Hide
4 Posts

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Player interaction during combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Hunt
msg tools
A common complaint against this game is the lack of player interaction during non-PVP combat. I'm sure this has to have been brought up in some existing rules variants, but has anybody tried having an opponent roll your defense dice for you when you aren't attacking? The only thing that it seems would be semi-confusing to a new player would be that they would be needing to roll under their own combat value to "inflict" damage, as they would be assuming the role of the monster card.

So has anybody tried this? Does it just bog combat down? A crazy 5 player game of Talisman last night reminded me how wacky it can get when rolling against another player, i.e. someone who catches fire and rolls nothing but 6's always wanting to fight you, etc.

I am considering giving this a try, and if it is fun enough making it a permanent fixture when I play. But if it's not really all that fun, or bogs the game down in any way I don't want to do it. So if anyone has tried this, let me know how it's worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could if you feel it really makes any difference at all who rolls your dice. Unless you know someone who is so talented with dice he/she can control them this will only result in a different but equally random roll as if you had done it yourself. I would prefer to just do it myself as I see passing dice as something that would prolong an already gruelingly long (but brilliant) game.

Also, welcome to the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hunt
msg tools
Well, multiple sets of dice would definitely be in order if I were to use this rule... I guess I just got kind of nostalgic after such a classic game of Talisman, it made me wish there were more similarities between the combat. But thinking about it more, you still wouldn't be rolling "against" anybody... I've only played the game about 5 times now, and I really enjoy it. Maybe I should just enjoy it for what it is? I do agree that it's quite brilliant. Maybe there is some house rule or mechanic someone has come up with though that can make combat more interactive. Thanks for the kind welcome as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the cash, there are character (class) decks you can buy. They make the characters more customizable and greatly increase interaction but you need one for each player and some people outright hate the changes they make.

Also, I got some of the small 30 card market and encounter expansions recently and they added a few more elements of interaction as well.

I've never played Talisman, though I would like to. Got Runebound first and I haven't seen the need for another fantasy adventure game quite yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.