Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Barlow
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking to buy the entire series, when I noticed both the Aqua and Pillar expansions seem to be out of print and unavailable anywhere. Is the entire game out of print? If so, where's the best place to get all the decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any of it is being reprinted. The Aqua and Pillar are hard to get, the rest seem to be in stock at a lot of retailers and etailers.

My advice: Get it while you can. You don't really need Aqua and Pillar, there's plenty of replayability in the other 7 decks (9 if you count the non-race expansion decks), but of course it is nice to have them all, so if you see Aqua or Pillar then grab them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
You don't really need Aqua and Pillar..

Well I don't see much need for the Pillar, but Blue Moon without the Aqua would be sad indeed. The Aqua are a very deep deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All decks are at some places here in the Netherlands for sale for bargain-prices. However, I'm talking about the Dutch edition (with text in Dutch) and I don't know if you want this.

On a side note: I personally hate the Aqua deck. The reason? In our plays, the one with the Aqua-deck always loses the game, as he/she has to retreat a few times after each other because of a lack of character-cards... :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:
All decks are at some places here in the Netherlands for sale for bargain-prices. However, I'm talking about the Dutch edition (with text in Dutch) and I don't know if you want this.

On a side note: I personally hate the Aqua deck. The reason? In our plays, the one with the Aqua-deck always loses the game, as he/she has to retreat a few times after each other because of a lack of character-cards...

Play the boosters and supports every chance you get.
Hand management is an important aspect of Blue Moon strategy. Don't let yourself run out of characters. If you have few in your hand, get rid of the cards that aren't characters so that you can draw more characters!

Bad luck happens sometimes, but having to retreat several times because of no characters? Sounds like you are doing something wrong. The great thing about Aqua is that you have a Leadership card that lets you reshuffle the discard, so don't be afraid to burn through the deck as quickly as possible by playing as many cards as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

Play the boosters and supports every chance you get.
Hand management is an important aspect of Blue Moon strategy. Don't let yourself run out of characters. If you have few in your hand, get rid of the cards that aren't characters so that you can draw more characters!

Bad luck happens sometimes, but having to retreat several times because of no characters? Sounds like you are doing something wrong. The great thing about Aqua is that you have a Leadership card that lets you reshuffle the discard, so don't be afraid to burn through the deck as quickly as possible by playing as many cards as you can.

Thanks for your reply, Cameron! I guess the two times we played with Aqua then just was a matter of bad luck; this never occurred using other decks. With Aqua, we had this two times in a row, that we didn't have any character cards and had to retreat (a few times during the game).
The leadership card you are talking about, was both times somewhere on the bottom of the draw pile :(

I guess your tip will help; burn through the deck as quickly as possible by playing as many cards as you can. Gotta test it soon! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:

burn through the deck as quickly as possible by playing as many cards as you can.

This can include playing cards that don't help the current fight at all; say, the 0 Fire 2 Earth Booster when the fight's in Fire. The AI certainly does this, though me as a mere human finds it difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slow Dog wrote:
The AI certainly does this, though me as a mere human finds it difficult.

Me too, at first. But hey;

Will. Do. Anything. For. Victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Returning to the original point I think it's a shame to be missing the Pillar as well as the Aqua. This particularly applies when constructing decks. My best guess is that production runs were reduced at the end based on the usual assumption of fewer sales as things go on but that sales held up better than estimated.

The last one I found was an Aqua deck for a friend a few months ago. But I had to travel eight timezones to find it. They probably had a Pillar deck then. This was either in Berkeley or Oakland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
The great thing about Aqua is that you have a Leadership card that lets you reshuffle the discard, so don't be afraid to burn through the deck as quickly as possible by playing as many cards as you can.

Yup. I only have limited experience playing the Aqua, but this seems to be the key point to using the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Barlow
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily, one of my FLGS had a new Aqua deck. Now to find the Pillar deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:
The great thing about Aqua is that you have a Leadership card that lets you reshuffle the discard, so don't be afraid to burn through the deck as quickly as possible by playing as many cards as you can.

Yup. I only have limited experience playing the Aqua, but this seems to be the key point to using the deck.

It's important, but you also need to be able to play the deck when you don't see the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
It's important, but you also need to be able to play the deck when you don't see the card.

Fair enough. Calling it "the" key point was probably too strong a choice of words. But is it fair to say that given Waters of Immortality and other Aqua cards, that the Aqua will play characters a bit more freely than other decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Fair enough. Calling it "the" key point was probably too strong a choice of words. But is it fair to say that given Waters of Immortality and other Aqua cards, that the Aqua will play characters a bit more freely than other decks?

Even more than characters you can afford to burn through your boosters and supports like they are going out of style. Provided that you know you are in no danger of having to discard AWoI. If you do them oops. (Also that is not the only way to use the card.)

Another trick to the Aqua is how to play your mutant. A helpful Hoax player may give you the opportunity for example. But against a deck that's not drawing extra cards, what to do? There is this leadership card plus Yin or Yang trick (or Yin and Yang) but unless it falls in your lap saving for it can be constraining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Returning to the original point I think it's a shame to be missing the Pillar as well as the Aqua. This particularly applies when constructing decks. My best guess is that production runs were reduced at the end based on the usual assumption of fewer sales as things go on but that sales held up better than estimated.

The last one I found was an Aqua deck for a friend a few months ago. But I had to travel eight timezones to find it. They probably had a Pillar deck then. This was either in Berkeley or Oakland.

A months ago i was able to pick up a complete set here on BGG marketplace. I had been looking for a while though.

They are both good decks. The pillar, i feel after a few plays with them, are much more powerful than many realise. The hand disclosing cards can be turned into auto-retreats if played correctly. And the catterpillars clearly combo with them very well.

The aqua...it took me a few plays to get it. When i did, oh man.

Very unique deck and definately can hold its own. My favorite so far is either Buka or Flit though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw two Aqua decks at Imperial Hobbies in Vancouver Canada yesterday, Wednesday 12 August 2009. I think one of the guys said they were the last two that their distributor had.

http://www.imperialhobbies.ca/

I'm a big fan of this store now (even though I don't live in Vancouver) since they managed to get the last Pillar deck from their distributor for me. Great folks and a great shop if you ever get a chance to visit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been searching for the aqua for a month now and they have it! But an incredibly expensive international postage rate. Oh the dilemma!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next to disappear would appear to be the first E&I deck which FFG have marked as out of stock for a bit. But checking the FFG website now the latest out of stock is the base game. Not gone yet generally but the writing is on the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Laing
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Hobbies is now out of the Aqua deck, although Troll and Toad have one copy left in stock. I paid quite a bit of international postage for it but am giddily happy since I'm a couple of deliveries away from having the whole set.

There might also be copies available from boardgamer.org - they also have card sleeves so I'm sure I'll deal with them before too long.

The Pillar deck is still available from
http://tinsoldier.open24x7.biz/catalog/
although is in low stock.

Hope this helps anyone else who's racing to collect them all - happy hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I saw the aqua available on troll and toad and got all excited! By the time I logged in and went to my checkout it was already gone though! Aaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh! I've spent all of this month searching for it only to fail again. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which country and currency is that boardgamer.org in? I've clicked on almost everything on the site. I'm desperately trying to get their blue moon before a quick typer beats me too it again but need to check how much it actually costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Laing
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
Which country and currency is that boardgamer.org in?

It's a Taiwanese site, you can set the language/currency in the lower right IIRC.

I've sent some english language emails and haven't received a response, but someone else said that it's best to be patient when dealing with boardgamer.org, and I'm sure I can manage a bit of patience if it gets me some card sleeves

I think I've viewed or emailed every store I can find through google that might have it except for 2 stores in germany and 1 in sweden. After that I guess it's down to footwork, touring the bricks and mortar stores.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. I'm having difficulty at the paypal stage (did you pay via paypal?). I keep getting this on the paypal screen:

Please provide an amount and click Update Totals.
Description Quantity Amount
DBG��b��W�C���
1 0.00
Item total: 0.00
Total: USD

I totally don't understand that at all. There's also a box (with no description at all) where I need to enter a number, otherwise it says please enter a number greater than zero. Utterly bewildering!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've got the nonesense part to display in traditional chinese mode. I used google translate, and it gives me this:

Nie Nie book turned book turned book turned b book Nie Nie Nie turned W book turned book turned C book Nie Nie Nie turned book turned

Aggghhh! What to do? Do I put a number into the mysterious paypal box and see what happens? Am I just throwing money into a big (taiwanese) black hole? What a dilemma!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Laing
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe just email the guy first - the email address is on the main page when it's displayed in English, and you need to email in order to organize international postage anyhow.

I got to where you got to with paypal and decided it was safer to email first. I haven't heard back yet, but since I'm just after sleeves now it's a little less urgent for me. My thinking is that putting money in via paypal will probably get a quicker response, but it's also a bit more of a risk. Someone else from BGG bought sleeves from him, but it doesn't sound like an incredibly streamlined process. Which is fair enough in the circumstances.

I've geekmailed you some advice on some other avenues, just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.