Hide
5 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Workshop Question (Newbie) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Leal
msg tools
Workshop allows me to gain something up to 4. We have assumed it counts as a buy in the Buy phase because it looked overpowered otherwise if you could get a freebie and also buy. Two questions

1) Does it trigger right away in the Action phase or does it count towards my one buy in the Buy phase?
2) If the former, is the card considered very good or am I not deep enough in the game to understand that an extra freebie for the cost of 4 per turn may not be as good as I'd think.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You gain the card immediately. It does not count as a Buy.

The trick with Workshop is that it doesn't grant you actions, so it's your use of your Action for the turn. And taking a cost 4 action will often also not be one that gives you extra actions, so it's easy to get too many actions with it. Also, since there's no way to get a bigger card with it (short of Bridge combos, but that's another story), its effectiveness decreases as the game continues when you need bigger cards to make your deck run well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Leal
msg tools
Thanks a bunch. Very helpful info.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card you gain from workshop goes into your discard pile, You aren't able to use it the turn that you get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many cards, there are certain setups where Workshop is very good and others where it is not.

For instance, when Gardens is on the board and you want to pursue a Gardens strategy, you can use the workshop to gain a Gardens and then use the money in hand to buy another.

I also don't mind having it when Mining Village is on the table. MV replaces itself + 1 action and I can always use the free 2 coins, so having an excess of those never bothers me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.