Subject: New to the game, a few questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for the first time last night, and have a few questions about some things...

In combat, can you switch items between rounds? Say, if you have a spell and a gun, can you switch the exhausted spell for your extra knife if you didn't win, so that you still have a bonus? Or are you stuck with that useless spell for the rest of combat?

If you get lost in time and space, do you automatically go down to 1 health and 1 sanity? The rulebook's wording wasn't very clear.

...And there was something else too, but I forgot it while typing this... Oh, well.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1) Combat is made up of many rounds if you do not defeat or get defeated in the first round. For weapons, you can continue to use them if they are not exhausted or discarded. So with your knife, you could have continued using that round after round. Dynamite is an example of an item getting discarded after use, and I think only expansions have exhaustible weapons.

With Spells, if you successfully cast it, you can keep the spell going from round to round as long as you devote the hands to it. So if you have a 2-hand spell, you can keep it until the end of the combat, no matter how many rounds. But if you decide to switch to the 1-handed knife, then you lost the spell. And since spells are exhausted when first cast (whether successful or not), then you could not use the spell again either in that combat or the next one until it gets refreshed (which usually happens in Phase 1 of the next round).

2) Lost in Time and Space, itself, does not reduce your Stamina or Sanity. Getting your Stamina or Sanity reduced to zero while in the OW sends you to LiTaS as opposed to the hospital or asylum if you had been in Arkham. The wording in the rules is a bit awkward but it is not meant for BOTH Sanity and Stamina to be set to 1. It just means if either is reduced to 0, that one gets reset to 1. The other stays the same value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian's the man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Brian's the man.

I concur. And welcome to BGG, Pyre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answers and the welcome!

I just remembered my other question, now.

What phase do you fight monsters? During movement or encounter? So if you move to a location with a monster, do you fight the monster, then draw an encounter card during the encounter phase?

I couldn't find this in the rulebook either. At first we figured that it was in the encounter phase like most other things, but then things got a little confusing when we tried to move through monster spaces during the movement phase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If a monster is already on the board and you either move out of or end your movement phase on the same space, you must either evade or fight him. So this is Phase 2.

If you draw a card and a monster appears, then you must either evade or engage it in that Phase, which will either be Phase 3 if you are in Arkham or Phase 4 if you are in the OW.

But if the Phase 3 Arkham encounter says that a monster and a gate appear, the monster stays in Arkham while you fly to teh OW and the two of you don't fight this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad, Pyre. I had the same problem figuring out monsters myself. It can be hard to figure things out with Arkham Horror, but is worth the trouble. Do you have flying monsters figured out yet? That was another sticky point with me at first.

It's nice to have BGG, and Brian, as a resource to help when we are frustrated with these sorts of things.

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Brian's the man.

He's yet to reveal his Loyalty card. He's a Toaster I tell ya ! Brig him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
Don't feel bad, Pyre. I had the same problem figuring out monsters myself. It can be hard to figure things out with Arkham Horror, but is worth the trouble. Do you have flying monsters figured out yet? That was another sticky point with me at first.

It's nice to have BGG, and Brian, as a resource to help when we are frustrated with these sorts of things.

Ed

Yeah, I heard the rulebook was hard to follow, and now I can see for myself!

And we completely missed the part about the different colored monsters and stuff, so we had monsters who weren't supposed to move, move, and other stuff like that.

It's a LOT of fun, though. We had a blast even though we knew we weren't playing quite right. Can't wait to play again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I know it is a frequent complaint, but I really like the rulebook and think it is extremely easy to follow.

There are a few awkward spots where their intent is misintrepreted by their choice of words. But FFG does a pretty good job of explaining every component, then moving on to the structure of the basic turn, then adding in the special rules and circumstances.

I'll admit it makes it a little tough to go back and find specific things (unless they have a thorough index) and some things can get overlooked, but with a couple readings it all comes into sharp focus. I don't know how they could present this much information any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.