Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Friday we played our first game with the new rules. We had 6 players - Baron von Chops, Sir Dale, Mr Darlington, Merry Merrit, Major Mustard and myself. By the end of the game, we felt there might be something that I missed in the rules, but that's typical - we often play games about 4-5 times before everything is ironed out. Unfortunately, I found the rulebook to not be very clear. I found it a little difficult to know what rules still applied from the original. I'm not putting the problems lying entirely with my lack on comprehension.

During the first auction, Red was left alone - Yellow was controlled by the Baron with other shares owned me Mustard and myself - Sir Dale invested alone into Purple - I took control of Blue with 2 shares, which Merrit (1 share) and Darlington (2) also invested in - Black was solely invested in by Merrit - and Green was started by Mustard.

Off the bat, Green built the Reading - Northhampton line that I was interested in due to a plethora of black cubes in the south. Since my company was so heavily invested in (all 5 shares were out), Blue made an aggressive 2 build turn from Cardiff - Gloucester - Oxford. Yellow built up around the area just south of Newcastle, Purple in the Nottingham region, and Black extended east from Exeter.

In the following turns, Blue continued aggressively with double builds straight across the country to Norwich, Black extended to Brighton, Green got into London and started heading north, Yellow continued heading south, and Purple webbed out in the middle.

Suddenly the Baron and Major Mustard struck a merger deal where Yellow would subsume Green and they would both profit well. As they were both invested in Green and equally well in Yellow, the Baron stayed in control of Yellow which ran almost from the top of the board to the bottom and Mustard got paid out.

Black and Blue went into talks about trying to figure out a merger, but couldn't come to terms. Instead, Blue issused two shares to acquired Purple a couple turns later (probably a bad move, but I was really excited to do a merger) Green was restarted with Mustard's capital in the wealthy Manchester area and purple would come in a couple turns later bridging the Green line into the rest of the rails in the Leicester area.

Yellow and Blue were making massive 10-13 point runs while the other companies hung in there fine with smaller gains. While everyone was focused on tracks and delivery, Mr. Darlington was working on a stock scheme. He had purchased a share of Red and didn't build any track, preferring to pay out everything in dividends. Next turn, he bought another share and paid everything out again. Now he had two well performing stocks and all his cash back. At this point everyone figured out what he was doing and I managed to get a share as well as Sir Dale, while Darlington got the fifth.

Cities began to start drying up and everyone started paying out big dividends in anticipation of the end. Most of the stocks were going up three spaces at the beginning with only Blue managing to keep that up till the end. Darlington issued a share to build one line of track in order to pay out dividends once again.

I can't promise these were the final company scores, but it was something like Blue 17, Yellow 16, Red 15, Green 15, Purple 14, Black 13.

End game player totals were something like 207 for Darlington, 194 for Mustard, 155 for Merry Merrit, 144 for Baron and I, and 116 for Sir Dale.

Thoughts and Questions -
We really had blast playing this and the couple of players that had burned out on regular tycoon had a great time. I'm excited to port this expansion with the other maps. I was always interested the building style that RRT offers with the idea of companies from the 18xx games.

I feel like the stock scheme that Darlington pulled shouldn't have been allowed in the rules (although thematically it was during a time where there was a lot less regulation). I feel like I must have missed something about this. He managed to start off with 11 and turn that into probably 60+ points by the end. A way to avoid that in the future if this is indeed possible is to not let anyone get a single share control of a company.

It seemed to me like there should have been more discrepancy between the stock prices. Blue and Yellow were by far the best performing delivery-wise, but they were sitting in the pack with everything else. We we not paying out enough in dividends? I know I kept a lot of money in the company for hopes of an acquisition and to build more track.

I'm not sure how I feel about the restarting company's stock coming in so high. When Mustard got paid off for his Green line and restarted it, it seems like he just made a bunch of cash and then suddenly got a new company with essentially the same stock value. Was this simply bad play? Should the better delivering companies be much higher than their starting prices?

Mergers are an awesome addition to this game!

They made a bunch of rules in the game about bonds and selling shares to the bank, but they didn't make much of a presence in our game. Blue was probably the highest issuer of stock with 7 on the board - no where near getting into bond territory. Were we not paying out enough dividends to make the companies need cash? Did we build too organically? Is this an effect of having 6 players and more cash in the companies pockets?

Am I missing anything else that should have effected the game? I'm sure I have more questions, but I'm drawing a blank, so I am going to end this here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was late enough that I suspect there were several math errors too. I know that money got thrown around, and no one was really sure what went where. Try again in the light of day, and see how it plays with fewer players. At least you won't have me to kick around any more.

I'm really excited by this game. At first I thought I'd be disappointed by an 18XX lite or some such. However, there was enough difference, that I found myself completely immersed in it. RrT always was a game I loved even when I went down in flames.

See you on the over side,

von Chops, Baron House Harkonnen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Port
United Kingdom
London
Barnet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finnianp wrote:
Were we not paying out enough dividends to make the companies need cash? Did we build too organically? Is this an effect of having 6 players and more cash in the companies pockets?

Am I missing anything else that should have effected the game? I'm sure I have more questions, but I'm drawing a blank, so I am going to end this here.

Quite the opposite of you, we seemed to have a very cash tight game up until the last 2 rounds really. The major question we had was what number you use for cash for deliveries. We were using the red number. Should we have been using the yellow number?

The other question came about due to the rule talking about multiple builds. We played that if, during the 3 turns, you built more than once it cost the additional amount. Should it have been that you can build more than once on a single one of those 3 turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
gobbo wrote:
Quite the opposite of you, we seemed to have a very cash tight game up until the last 2 rounds really. The major question we had was what number you use for cash for deliveries. We were using the red number. Should we have been using the yellow number?

You're supposed to use the yellow number.

gobbo wrote:
The other question came about due to the rule talking about multiple builds. We played that if, during the 3 turns, you built more than once it cost the additional amount. Should it have been that you can build more than once on a single one of those 3 turns?

I think you (or someone else) had this answered in another thread, but it's the latter. The extra double-build cost is applied on a per *turn* basis, not a per *round* (of 3 turns) basis. Thus, theoretically you could double build in each of the 3 turns, completing 6 links in one round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Baron has informed me that as banker, he was putting the money from shares bought from the bank on the company. That was my bad in not explaining the rules well enough and only paying attention to what was going on with my plans. Also, we were only paying for the shares that were owned by players during mergers and not the ones available from the start.

Does anyone know what the official number of players the games supports? If for example 4 is ideal and we had 6, that is an extra $40k the companies will get at the beginning. Additionally, every turn that is an extra $10k added in.

Gobbo - How many players did you have in your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Port
United Kingdom
London
Barnet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finnianp wrote:
Gobbo - How many players did you have in your game?

We had 5 players, but as seen above we had the income from deliveries wrong. That along with how expensive expanding could become made for a tight money game for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vance
msg tools
finnianp wrote:
The Baron has informed me that as banker, he was putting the money from shares bought from the bank on the company. That was my bad in not explaining the rules well enough and only paying attention to what was going on with my plans. Also, we were only paying for the shares that were owned by players during mergers and not the ones available from the start.

What do you mean "shares bought from the bank?"

There are only 2 kinds of shares available: 5 shares that are in the original pile of shares you can buy from the beginning of the game onwards.

And 5 shares that go on the company charter. The president of the company issues those when the company needs money for building and merging during its turn.

When any stock is bought form the initial 5 available, that money goes into the company treasury.

After a company issues any of the 5 shares that start out on the company charter, that money goes into the bank. Because when you issue them, you got the money from the bank.

Is that what you mean by "shares bought from the bank?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean shares that had already been issued were purchased from the bank and that money ended up back in the companies accidentally instead of going out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.