Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Detailed Ratings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How do you rate this game for these factors?
  High 4 3 2 1 0 Low
Level of Fun
Level of Replayability
Quality of Game mechanics
Quality of Theme
How well does the game use the theme?
Multiple Paths to Victory
Tension/Excitement
Intellectual Challenge
Quality of Game materials
How Original is/was it?
Level of Player interaction
Number of Players Scalability
Clarity of the Rulebook
Worth the time to play to the end?
Amount of Downtime
Quality of Artwork
Value for Money
Competition
Ease to learn
Complexity
Randomness Level
Randomness Impact Too…..
Amount of Set up Time
Chrome
Ease to obtain
Level of Co-operation
Mass appeal
Wide age appeal (kids & adults?)
Ease to Play anywhere, any time
Box Portability
Availability of Online Play
      69 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm


For background and discussion on the Detailed Ratings approach see here
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to be one of those obnoxious people who find a problem with every poll, but I'm just not sure how you want some of these answered. For example, Complexity. When I mark a 4, what am I saying? "This game has a very high level of complexity," or "This game's level of complexity is perfect/very enjoyable."

I think you're asking, "What do you feel is the actual level of complexity?" because the other is much less useful. Perhaps I'm the only one who paused as he was filling out the poll and wondered this, but perhaps I'm not.

Anyway, thanks for these!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadVulcan wrote:
I don't want to be one of those obnoxious people who find a problem with every poll, but I'm just not sure how you want some of these answered. For example, Complexity. When I mark a 4, what am I saying? "This game has a very high level of complexity," or "This game's level of complexity is perfect/very enjoyable."

I think you're asking, "What do you feel is the actual level of complexity?" because the other is much less useful. Perhaps I'm the only one who paused as he was filling out the poll and wondered this, but perhaps I'm not.

Anyway, thanks for these!

Yep, I meant "Level of". For most factors I put that in but for some I didn't, probably because I felt it was making the polls a bit repetitive in having the same words in continuously.

Now I'm not sure that not doing so has lost clarity.
I'll make sure any others I add have all the descriptive words in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the confusion has the do with the phrasing of the original question. "How do you rate this game for these factors?" seems to ask "How much do you enjoy the level of FACTOR X in this game?"

I would not be surprised if the rating for Amount Down Time has some individuals rating it high because they really appreciate the level of down time in R4tG. There is almost none. It is possible that they play with AP prone people or individuals who need to whip out a calculator and go through some permutations to see what course of action will offer the greatest chance of success given the cards they have seen and the cards they need, but I doubt it.

Perhaps if you stated specifically that you are NOT looking for "How much do you enjoy the existing level of FACTOR X?", but are, instead, looking for, "What is the existing level of FACTOR X in this game?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the art in this game. It adds so much to the experience, because honestly the game could just be cards with the icons on them and nothing else. I am so, so happy that this game has art that is not the standard awkwardly-drawn vaguely medieval guys in a palette of browns.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Yep, I meant "Level of". For most factors I put that in but for some I didn't, probably because I felt it was making the polls a bit repetitive in having the same words in continuously.

The trouble is you are mixing apples and oranges in this poll and making them look parallel. The early ones are all good/bad type ratings: If you like it choose hihg, if you don't like it choose low. Then you shift into "level of" questions which are not good/bad questions. If you are going to mix the two, you should pit "level of" in any question which is not a good/bad question.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I LOVE the art in this game. It adds so much to the experience, because honestly the game could just be cards with the icons on them and nothing else. I am so, so happy that this game has art that is not the standard awkwardly-drawn vaguely medieval guys in a palette of browns.
Some argue the art is what's distracting players from the icons and the game itself
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For a summary of the poll results to date, check out:
Detailed Ratings - How do the Most Wanted Games Fare?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
For a summary of the poll results to date, check out:
Detailed Ratings - How do the Most Wanted Games Fare?

Categories RFTG does poorly (in comparison to other top-tier games):
Rating Position/17
How well does the game use the theme? 6.9 15
Level of Player Interaction 4.7 16
Clarity of the Rulebook 6.7 15
Ease to Learn 3.6 17


Categories RFTG won (3/31):
-Worth the Time to Play to the End?
-Ease to Play Anywhere, Any time
-Box Portability

Every time RFTG is called multiplayer solitaire i just cringe. The interaction is so misunderstood, it makes me sad.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Mardby
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmb
entranced wrote:
Every time RFTG is called multiplayer solitaire i just cringe. The interaction is so misunderstood, it makes me sad.


Couldnt agree more. I think that is also one of the mayor things most people learn from Keldons AI. The guessing and outsmarting is what Ive come to enjoy more and more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.