Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How easy would it be to use the new Lion rules to play the older version of RAF. In particular I am interested in knowing if the new patrol and fatigue/re-arm rules would be translatable into the old game system! Anyone know or have any thoughts on applicability/playability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat table in Lion is driven by having everything in three groups, A, B & C, whereas the WEG edition had only two, + vs 0, which changed when they flipped. Otherwise, you could just use the same land/re-arm/+3 +4/clock method. The WEG map has no RAF box, but you could probably just put them on the clock. The weather is slightly different, too, as is how you determine the next raid day. The new clock goes in 2 hour jumps instead of one.

Other than economic restrictions, why not just buy the new one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Brent said, you'll have to make your own tote board and replacement point and depletion tracks. Also, you won't be able to use the early warning system because the original card backs don't have that information, so patrolling will be a hit or miss proposition. Also, some events won't make sense anymore, like German Relief and Patrolling Squadrons Land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys. I'm trying to work out whether I need to pull the trigger and buy the new version or whether I should stick to the good old faithful WEG version. I know I am getting three games for the price of one here but, in the UK this game is retailing at around £55-£60 or $90-$100 and that's before any postage is added on. Also as I have the WEG version it seems a shame that it would, in effect, be retired when I am sure there is plenty of life still in the old Gal yet!

Anyway once again thanks for the info guys cheers Andy B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah its a dilemma for me too.

I'm really iterested to hear about balance issues in the new game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.