designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale 316 Dave 288 (Dave went first)
Dave 316 Dale 294 (Dale went first)
Aggregate: Dale 610 Dave 604

More Pompeji – This has quickly taken a life of its own. We’ve set up a few house rules for this budding 2-player game series. First, we do not allow playing similar cards (either background color or building type) diagonally adjacent. This makes it more difficult to set your cards into the array later in the game – it perhaps even makes it impossible to play in certain spaces on the board! It also changes the dynamic of the statue card somewhat because you sometimes need to play in earlier in the game in order to truly maximize your score. Also, we now play this game in sets of two – with each player going first once. In the 2 player game (with our no diagonal adjacency rule), there is an imbalance in the early game as the first player will end up with two turns where he has no opportunity to score. The first player cannot score on the initial play, and then he cannot score whenever he is forced to form a branch off the initial street (since he cannot play diagonal cards that are similar either). This is balanced by having each player play first in the series.

The first game was quick (Dave was first player), only about 15 minutes. It seemed that we always had somewhere to play (perhaps not for maximal score though!) our cards. Games generally move quick though as Dave and I generally don’t dawdle while making our turns. The game turned on a play where I used a statue to fill in two streets as well as score crazy points on fountains in all three directions! I think it was a 53 point play (which is the highest we’ve seen yet in Pompeji!). The 2nd volcano came up after my next turn and the first game ended. The second game was much slower – it seemed like we could never play cards where we wanted to early in the game. There were many occasions where we were just playing cards and scoring for similar colors. As the board took on a very eccentric shape as a result of unlucky draws, it turned out to help scoring in the mid- to end-game. The cards seemed to lay out perfect for the latter cards in the game, and in the end, Dave’s winning score was identical to mine of the first game (316). But in losing the second game, I had scored a few more points than Dave had in the first frame and thus, I won the aggregate score by six points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.