Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I'm trying to come up with a list of things you can't put in boardgames...much like George Carlin's 7 Words You Can't Say On TV.

I guess the criteria for the list would be anything that would warrant 'Parental Advisory' stickers. Also, feel free to add games that have been published that do, come close or should.

1. So far I believe the list goes as follows: Nudity, Cursing, Drugs, Prostitution...(whats the rest?)

2. And the closest game I've been told to have been seen with an advisory label on it was possibly an early edition of The Simpsons Monopoly Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
You should quite definitely make a Geeklist.

Busen Memo should probably start it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I thought about it, but I didn't think the list would be very long. I'm actually after the criteria, but if naming a game as an example (if it exists) gets the criteria across...its just as good.

A GeekList it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
This can be very subjective depending on values and beliefs. Alcohol can be controversial as a theme if it glorifies its use or abuse. Bootleggers might not be age appropriate for young children, but fine for older kids.

Taboo subjects are also controversial, take The HellGame, I have a number of friends who will not even consider playing this game because of the subject matter. This game may only be offensive to Christians (just a guess), but the artwork may be disturbing to non-Christians.

Artwork can be controversial to some. Anima: Shadow of Omega has some cards that could be considered lewd or too revealing for younger children by some parents.

If they exist in some form as a game or game mechanic I would consider subjects like genocide or rape to be controversial. I do not know of any myself, but have read some discussion of such games either being considered or created. If someone were to consider or create a game based on logistical challenges of exterminating Jews during the holocaust I imagine this would create a great deal of controversy.

I hope you create a geeklist for this subject as I would like to know what is considered controversial by the members here. I own The HellGame and think it is a great game, but would nominate it as controversial due to the reaction of my friends.

Looking forward to see where this goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Realize that establishing criteria for parental advisories will be very subjective. Topics you might consider "offensive" aren't necessarily going to be the same as what other parents consider "offensive." For example, neither I or my wife have any issue with our 'tween-age son seeing the risque artwork on the cards in the game "Wench," yet I've got adult friends that refuse to even try the game because they think it's demeaning to women. I've also got a neighbor who complained to us when we taught her daughter the silly game "Guillotine" because she felt the game condoned/trivialized state-sponsored violence against innocent victims (admittedly, I think the woman is a bit of a whack job to begin with, but that's a seperate issue).

What I'm getting at is that you can't make blanket choices for everyone based on your personal preferences. Just because the MPAA sets the criteria for "family appropriate viewing" in movies doesn't mean their choices are right for all households. Similarly, just because you or some other individual or agency sets criteria for what would require a parental advisory for a game doesn't mean that those standards should apply to everyone.

The simple realitiy is that if you're going to buy a game, it's incumbent on you as the customer to research it and determine whether you feel it's appropriate for your kids/family. Relying on some outside agency to do that for you is the "lazy man's" approach and an abbrogation of your responsibility as a parent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cptwacky wrote:
things you can't put in boardgames...(whats the rest?)

tiles with single letters on them, and themes about crossword puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Although I didn't get the cut and dry answers I was looking for; "you don't get what you want, you get what you need". An answer is definately there despite.

As in the examples provided by GTA (video game equal), a Judas Priest song defended by John Denver (forgive me), George Carlin's 7 Things you can't say on TV, and what I'm hearing here ... its possible to put controversial subject matter in boardgames.

So maybe my question should be, ... Why hasen't anyone made that game thats just 'all out offensive, or most offensive'. Its not appealing to anyone as a result?

Maybe my post should have read, "What would make a boardgame illegal (,besides anything to do with its actual manufacture and rights...ie made of or by illegal means and material).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.