Subject: Track Limit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have read the rules for this and very much like the look of it, now added to the must buy list.

Have a question on the track limit. The board tracks go up to 15 and the example in the rules says that you can go over that limit, also it is possible to lose some points but still have over 15 in a category.

But unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be any component included for recording when over the track limit. So I guess each player has to resort to something like pen and paper or dice markers against each track where they have higher than the 15.

Not sure pen and paper would work too well, as I'd want to have some sort of visual indicator as to what other players track scores are when above 15.

Have I missed something obvious here or am I correct. Would just seem a shame to have to use some sort of ad-hoc mechanism for recording what is part of the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Pogle wrote:
Have I missed something obvious here

You keep the tokens that give you +1 to a certain track when collected (those you take from cities and routes... you know, the basic idea of the game ). Your score in each track is the sum of the symbols on your tokens plus your cards plus your buildings.
Did it help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Gray
New Zealand
Upper Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the track stop at 15 because that is the maximum VP you can get from them. Your can have a higher total than 15, in which case if/when you lower your total in that track you should make sure you take it from your actual total and not just 15.

As has been suggested, you can just use the tokens you have collected in the game to help you quickly figure out how much more than 15 you might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am correct then I think?

For instance if on turn 6 there were players that had some markers at 15 of a track, that I would have to count up all the symbols on their cards and buildings etc. to be able to see how many points over the track limit of 15 each of those players were.

The only reason I raise it is that for instance suppose I were thinking about drawing the Abolition of Slavery card. As I understand it each player has to get rid of any slavery cards they have amd lose any status points associated those cards from their status track. Am I still correct then in thinking that if I wanted to see how this would affect other players status tracks, that if they have markers at number 15 I would then have to do as I described above and count up their scores to see how far over they were to see if I thought it was worth drawing the Abolition of Slavery card to reduce their position on a staus track.

Example : I'm player A and thinking of drawing Abolition of Slavery. Player B's finance track is at 15, players C's culture track is at 15, players D's politics trackis at 15. If I want to see how far each of them is over the 15 limit (or just on 15) I have to count up all player B's finance symbols, player C's culture symbols etc.

In which case I would be right in my original belief that there is no quick and simple mechanism to instantly see how far over the limit on any given track another player is.

Please forgive me if I'm still not understanding this correctly. Or perhaps it never really reaches the stage where this becomes an issue?

As I said in my original post I'm really looking forward to this one, so I'm not trying to be negative. Just want to be sure I've got this bit right in my head blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Gray
New Zealand
Upper Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wel it does happen that you might end up with over 15, but given that you can't score points from it, players tend to draw and rearrange cards so that they don't have wasted points.

Your Abolition of Slavery example is a good one, but also the only one where you can directly force opponents to discard cards and therefore lose status.

IMO if you can draw Abolition of Slavery it is almost always worth it. It is a great card by itself and any slaves that others are forced to discard will count as -1 point anyway. It is highly likely that they can draw other cards to replace the lost cards before the end of the game.

You would also find that on the later turns when players have hear or more than 15 that they are holding more than their maximum cards anyway, so without knowing what they are going to discard it is difficult to determine what their actual values are.

Additionally the critical values are the tier jumps of 2/4/7/10 anyway because they are the places where you get an in game advantage.

Most of the time I would say that the only person who cares that they are over 15 is the player themselves and they can mark that using tokens or count or whatever. As far as the other players should be concerned, the fact that they are at 15 should be enough information.

But you are correct, there is no specific way in which you can mark a track that is over 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarratt - Many thanks for a very full and informative answer. Has clarified everything that I wanted know.

Looking forward to it's release now, and hope it's a success for all involved.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.