Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert Gao
China
Nanjing
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife loves RFTG deadly.But she hates the feeling that one card may overwhelm all. Your opponent may get a key card and ruin all your efforts. But since RFTG is a 20min game, this won't be a big problem.

But, Does 1960 get this feeling?

I really love this theme.But this feeling will be a big problem since it will ruin your 2-hour effort, that's not good,really....

Need your help,buddies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I would say no.

RFTG plays very different than 1960. RFTG you are always looking for cards that work together and there effect become more powerful in combination than similar cards without this synergy.

In 1960 you are going to go through the deck once and nearly all the cards are going to get played. Very few cards have long term effects so it is very rare that you are going to have card combination's that work together. You are trying to make the most of the cards you currently have not looking for a powerful card combination.

That said, someone is going to win and all other things being equal it will be the person who got the better cards. I have heard people say Summer Congressional Session (I think that is the name, Kennedy gets -2 cp for the rest of the turn) is too powerful, especially on the last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camus_dvd wrote:
My wife loves RFTG deadly.But she hates the feeling that one card may overwhelm all. Your opponent may get a key card and ruin all your efforts. But since RFTG is a 20min game, this won't be a big problem.

But, Does 1960 get this feeling?

I really love this theme.But this feeling will be a big problem since it will ruin your 2-hour effort, that's not good,really....

Need your help,buddies

For me the most powerfull card in the deck would be Whistlestop or Upledged Electors. The first one since it's a positive card (no penalty to the opponent) and the second one can be crushing to Kennedy in the South. But knowing is half the battle and there are certainly ways to compete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Gao
China
Nanjing
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks,buddies

Is that means this won't happen in most of the time?

Anyway,
Is there anything which can ruin your 2-hour efforts? My wife and I don't like something cost lots of time but the winner is decided by the factor of luck.arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Helba
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game, I played the card that lets you flip the next two cards from the draw pile and play them if they show your icon. Amazingly, I flipped two Gathering Momentum cards for regions where my opponent (Nixon) had the advantage. Nixon gained about nine states from my turn! If that's not a key card, I don't know what is. Despite that, I went on to win the game, even with Unpledged Electors played against me as well. There are so many ways to work towards an advantage in this game that you can always shift your strategy to remain competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evett
United States
Dallas
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 100+ games I can definitely say no. That said, there are times when a perfect storm will brew up to make certain cards especially devastating in those circumstances. That is the nature of card-driven games. Each card has different value each game, and thus the great play is never always the same. It is possible to win without drawing or getting to play your "good" cards, and it is possible to lose while getting to play all of your "good" cards.

I would say that between even opponants the games will be split 50/50, with some combination of crazy outcomes thrown in evenly on both sides. But most games will come down to close play, choices that turned out to be right (the key choices in the game: to play a card for the event or the cubes, and if cubes where to play them). -- PAE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the guys above - this game offers many, many paths to victory, and it often comes down to the final turn to see who is going to win. The more you play, the less likely it is that someone can have a runaway victory, or be ruined on a simple turn.

It's an excellent game, and I think you'll love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Gao
China
Nanjing
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks buddies above, you make really impressive explanation

I will definitely buy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slider wrote:
In my last game, I played the card that lets you flip the next two cards from the draw pile and play them if they show your icon. Amazingly, I flipped two Gathering Momentum cards for regions where my opponent (Nixon) had the advantage

hmm I thought that card was only for Kennedy? And the events only take effect if they carry your 'color'? If you play them regardless of who 'owns' the event, I see the problem, but I think you misinterpeted them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth_Logan wrote:
slider wrote:
In my last game, I played the card that lets you flip the next two cards from the draw pile and play them if they show your icon. Amazingly, I flipped two Gathering Momentum cards for regions where my opponent (Nixon) had the advantage

hmm I thought that card was only for Kennedy? And the events only take effect if they carry your 'color'? If you play them regardless of who 'owns' the event, I see the problem, but I think you misinterpeted them.

I believe the card says if it has the democratic icon on it. All the neutral cards have both icons on them so they take effect. It is a card Kennedy should usually not play as an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I certainly haven't played this game nearly as often as several who have posted in this thread previously, I have played it enough to know that even if you are the "victim" of a string of cards played (or triggered) by your opponent to impact you then:

1) Keep in mind that a card played as an event to only damage you is still a card played by your opponent that they can't instead play as CPs. So sometimes, I have actually played a card for CPs instead of as a negative event that will impact my opponent - just all depends on my needs and the situation.

2) I've found that typically, it is more helpful for you to play event cards with negative impacts to your opponent as the first or second card in the turn so you can get the maximum use from them. Keeping this in mind, I can start formulating an alteration to my plan for the turn after my opponent has played his/her first or second card.

3) One good thing about this game is there are several things to do to gain victory. Opponent played a harsh negative event on you which limits the CPs you can spend on campaigning this turn? Okay, so just concentrate on the issues or play cards with "campaigning" events on them.

With that said, yes, there definitely are times where you or your opponent can get a really good turn of "opponent screwage" in where you can basically wreck the other player's chances at campaigning. But there are only so many negative cards after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Gao
China
Nanjing
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
mbmb
thank you,Matt
You special demostration really open a new sight of this game. I finally know why the game gained such a rating and ranking on BGG now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also found that the cards that prohibit a candidate from campaigning in a given region (say, Midwest or South) for the rest of the turn can also be devastating, since you cannot respond to your opponent as he proceeds to take away any of your cubes and place his own. The best, perhaps only, way to counter these cards is to go to the region where your opponent is not campaigning and do the same to him if possible. Still, a nasty surprise if you're caught off guard ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
I have also found that the cards that prohibit a candidate from campaigning in a given region (say, Midwest or South) for the rest of the turn can also be devastating, since you cannot respond to your opponent as he proceeds to take away any of your cubes and place his own. The best, perhaps only, way to counter these cards is to go to the region where your opponent is not campaigning and do the same to him if possible. Still, a nasty surprise if you're caught off guard ...

I rarely see these cards played as the are generally not effective. Before the debate you counter by playing CP into the issues. Either your opponent will be forced to counter making campaigning irrelevant or let you win the issues witch is more important than state control before the debate. After the debate it may be more effective but I don't think there is any card that blocks you from campaigning in the East which is the most delegate rich region.

I once was winning most of the south and east and got blocked out of west and midwest on the first action of the last turn. That is the only time I have seen this card effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
David Ells wrote:

I rarely see these cards played as the are generally not effective. Before the debate you counter by playing CP into the issues. Either your opponent will be forced to counter making campaigning irrelevant or let you win the issues witch is more important than state control before the debate. After the debate it may be more effective but I don't think there is any card that blocks you from campaigning in the East which is the most delegate rich region.

I once was winning most of the south and east and got blocked out of west and midwest on the first action of the last turn. That is the only time I have seen this card effective.

I would agree. Once again - just about all of the cards in this game (both positive and negative cards) are situational. There isn't much of a need to play a card on an opponent to keep him out of a region that he is already leading quite heavily in - unless you are afraid he may respond to your plans to take over in the region during that turn and may try to keep status quo there. That's why I like the game - everything is situational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.