Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: computer [+] [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I discovered by chance the free ZX Basic ( http://www.boriel.com ) compiler that allows you to write programs in Basic and compile them to machine code, ready to be run on emulators or even a real ZX Spectrum.

As a child, the Spectrum was my introduction to computers and programming, and programming it in Basic was fun, but the programs were slow and hard to save. You always knew Assambler was the answer but it seemed to be too hard and the tools were not readily available, especially to a child...

But now, more than 20 years later, the tools are here!! and the first thing I've done is an adaptation of my recent dice game Star Trader's Luck.

When you get past the simple interface, a Spectrum version of a board game offers many advantages such as portability. Almost any modern computing device has a ZX Spectrum emulator available, and speed or memory won't be an issue. You can even run your games on a Palm, or even on a Nintendo DS!!!

Well, maybe those that didn't experience it at the time think I'm crazy, but consider this: Games Workshop released many ZX Spectrum versions of boardgames like Talisman, Car Wars and even Space crusade. Chaos, although not based on a boardgame, it's an amazing game as enjoyable today as it was back then...

So, I say, go ahead and make more games for these old platforms! The tools are there waiting for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decades ago, I used to have a Timex 2068 Color Computer, which was a descendant of the ZX Spectrum. At the time I was writing a program to handle book keeping for They've Invaded Pleasantville and as an aid to enable soiltaire play. No fancy graphics or anything, just number-crunching and random numbers behind the scenes.

At present, I have toyed with the idea of using Vassal as a front end for this sort of thing. While I haven't tinkered with it long enough to be sure, I suspect that Vassal could be used as a front end for AI programs as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few boardgames on emulators lately. Never thought of writing one myself, but might be a good way to brush up on BASIC.

Close Assault (on Atari800, picked it up on eBay cheap)
http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=8&VERSION_ID=1094

And Espionage (on the C64)
Espionage

I just picked up Tanktics and am on the lookout for Dniper River Line.

Cool topic!

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.