Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My appetite wasn't fully satisfied with my last game order (when will it stop!?), so I'm biting the bullet and getting more.

Here's what I'm getting, and I'd like to know if there's any substitutions you'd make of either similar games or ones that you think I should just plain get instead. Not really looking for anything heavier than Agricola.

You can see my current collection at My Collection
And My Ratings for an idea of what I like so far.

What I'm about to order:
Galaxy Trucker
Small World
Unnamed Object
6 nimmt!
High Society

(And these for sure as additions to my current games:
Hive: The Mosquito
Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders
+ Animeeples meeple )

So, what do you think? Thanks a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do Diamant instead of Incan Gold. Nicer components, nicer company, and very little price difference now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Do Diamant instead of Incan Gold. Nicer components, nicer company, and very little price difference now.

Unfortunately Diamant isn't available where I'm buying. I'll be getting the Gryphon Games edition, which is still quite nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have the first 4 you listed, so I clearly wouldn't change those cool

I would suggest maybe Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age instead of High Society, but I think it's a solid order either way.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all but Category 5, so I'd stay with your order. High Society is one of my top 10 and is great, even with non-gamers. Galaxy Trucker is excellent fun and I'm actually looking to pick it up soon. So yes, I'd stick with your order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other choices look fine but I would have to add a dissenting voice on Galaxy Trucker. I personally can't stand it. If you have done your research and don't want to be put off then OK. Some people love it, but to me it just seems like a solitaire puzzle that has a game added to the end of it. You pick up pieces - create a ship - and then see how it does. Rinse and repeat twice again but with a bigger ship each time.

My other issue with it is price - sure it has nice bits, but certainly in NZ (not sure about Canada) it costs about one and half times the price of most other games. You could buy one good game - eg Puerto Rico plus a slightly cheaper game - maybe Ra or Vikings (I mention this as you say you like Carcassonne where the pieces make the board), for almost the same price as Galaxy Trucker.

Up to you I guess. Smallworld looks to be your really fun game selection - Galaxy Trucker is in that kind of mold as well (though I don't find it fun at all), so maybe a more serious game might be an option - I have offered some suggestions, but there are plenty more out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the dissenting voice, as it's been the hardest choice for me. As you've mentioned, I love tile laying games - and the humorous sci-fi theme and whole 'watch everything get ruined' vibe are drawing me in.

My hesitation is that it seems to be very hit or miss for people (and what's the point if I'm the only one who likes it), and yes, the price.

So I'm considering replacing/removing that one. Another serious game would be nice - I have friends with Ra though. Or....continued praise for Galaxy Trucker to confirm my original thoughts. haha

Edit: Think I'm just going to drop Galaxy Trucker from the order and wait until I get a chance to play it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I feel bad - seriously I do think it is a try before you buy one though. Some guys in my game group really enjoy it and have played quite a few games.

The other thing is that I'm not sure what your gaming audience is in terms of who you would be playing with. For me, even if I did enjoy it, I can imagine my wife would absolutely hate it (and she will play most games Agricola, Puerto Rico, etc) so it is a no brainer for me not to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad at all.

I'm pretty certain that I'll love the game. But as you've mentioned, it's about the group mentality/experience. I'd rather test it out in that situation first before committing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of galaxy trucker...

I have found it to be an excellent game,and play is very similar with any number of players. The more players there are the less solitair like the game becomes, as you fight for good tiles, end up trying to save tiles you want, failing miserably and losing points before you start.

The events in a given round are dependant on how well you built your ship, but also on your individual choice (whether to stop for cargo or not mostly). the main enjoyment of this game for me is how funny it can be. When someone loses half their ship because they werent paying attention when building. Someones ship gets hit in the one place their shields/lasers didn't cover.

If you enjoy total information games, and are VERY competitive, i woud not reccomend this game. If you want to play it for a laugh, dont mind if you win or lose, and are amused by failing HORRIBLY - i cannot reccomend this game enough.

Its not a game I own, but a game i play with a friend often. The price has put me off buying it so far.

I guess what i am trying to say here is dont discount it out of hand. Go to your FLGS and see if anyone has a copy you can try. You may be pleasently surprised.

(edited for bad english/typos a few times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh man... You dont have a single 10 rating in your game collection!!!

Keep buying and playing til you get that 10!!!! HAHAHA!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been very happy with my purchase of Stone Age. Yes, it is another worker palcement game, but it does not play like Agricola at all. great components, squarely medium difficulty, and playes great with two. I just keep playing this game.

Good choice witj Small World, great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.