Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this two player or do you play against the game?

bikerboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-player. The DVD is just a fancy way to do the die rolls. You do not even need the DVD. I prefer rolling dice as it is quicker.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx,Michael.I figured as much,but that's ok.I still might buy the game,but I've read some not so good reviews and comments,so I'm still not sure.I like Halo,but this is a boardgame and often the transition isn't pretty.

bikerboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like HeroScape you would like this. It plays the same. Roll attack dice, count hits. Roll defense dice, count blocks. Etc. Just as simplistic as HeroScape.

My 11yo son likes it but he likes anything HALO. And for $12 at Best Buy, you really can't go wrong. The figures are decent. Soft plastic. I am sure they are easily re-painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recieved my copy, havent played it yet but here are some thoughts I've had from checking it out.

- In some other games where you couldnt move and attack at the same time (Im thinking Mageknight - where you spent your action moving into melee, but the enemy would have the chance to attack you first and possibly kill you or damage you enough to make your next attack notably weaker) that this isnt an issue in Halo, particuarly if you play with the Legendary rules.

All attacks (other than Melee) do 1 damage, so if you move into position to attack and leave yourself vulnerable, its not going to be crippling to you.

The turn sequence of simply Move or Attack is nice and fast, and without what I consider the hindered action like Mageknight, could make this a nice tactical game and fun, if lite.

- There isnt too much variation with the weapons, only a couple I saw have any special rules, such as the Energy sword.
And while you dont need the DvD to play (as mentioned above, it would be faster to roll the dice), I think the DvD adds a nice atmosphere for the variety of weapons.
I am though somewhat uncertain of the accuracy of the results that the DvD gives.
For example - A marine rolls 2 dice in melee, A Brute rolls 5 (Sucessess are 50/50 per dice) - yet I had a string of Marine Wins according to the DvD.
Sure its random, but Im not certain if the odds are accurate to the dice rolls.

- All in all this looks like a lot of lite, quick fun - and I am curious to know if this game is going to be expanded upon.
Multiple terrain sets would definitely add to the enjoyment. (One of the map layouts suggested for a straightforward battle actually uses components from 2 sets, but doesnt tell you.:soblue:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx much,guys.I think I'll check it out this weekend.Oh yeah,I've always been into Heroscape,from the get go.As has been stated,for 12 bucks you really can't go wrong.

bikerboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.