Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wbc [+] [View All]
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just back from the WBC convention. Great time as always. Got to play some ToC and meet a number of ToC players. Think I will plan to try to bring back a ToC tourney in 2010

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Waller
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, do it. I'll be there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll go with the tourney scenario in the prelim rounds again (like previous ToC WBC tournies). Takes 2 to 3 hours - frequently comes down to the last die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Waller
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds good to me...better get on VASSAL to practice!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no ToC tourney at WBC 2009 - just a few pick up games. If my work schedule is predictable early next year, then I'll probably try to get a ToC tourney going at WBC in 2010. Remember to vote for it when the event ballot comes out for WBC 2010.

The Spanish Civil War game? Working on it right now. Great progress recently. Think I have the three areas (air, naval and pregame) that drove me nuts finally tamed.

I hate Air and Naval rules. Usually, never work well in a strategic level game. One option was to basically ignore the damm things (oh, put in a few cards, etc). But, I wanted to give players some dials and levers to manipulate since I think both were important to the outcome of the conflict. My self imposed mandate is that they both only occupy one page of the rules each.

There will be a seperate Air Ops and Naval Ops display, where the action will take place. Naval will impact supply (full, attrition or none) for the major ports. Air is a slim'd down Third World War mechanic; sides try to get Air Superiority in geographic zones - and conduct ground support or interdiction. About a dozen naval counters and each side has about a dozen aircraft counters.

The Pregame. Players can go thru a pregame - not a counter on the map - (or just start with a historic setup) where they enlist domestic camps (ex: POUM) and foreign powers, mobilize troops, resolve revolts in various cities throughout Spain, impact starting strategic will, etc. Designed to take 20-30 minutes. Still trying to narrow the range of outcomes in that pregame; which is a tough challenge. But, there will be a historic setup that allows players skip it if they wish.

Political Game. Similar to ToC. Less beloved chrome though - given there are less camps (factions) and less things to reflect that were important to the conflict.

Strategic will is one key to victory - with various game events impacting it. However, players won't know exactly how until the end of each turn. Think the bag draw in 1960.

Basic PoG/ToC engine will be used for about everything else.

A campaign game and a tourney scenario will be provided.

220 cards....44 political...66 pregame...110 Action Cards (each side has 55)

Hope to also have a youtube video explaining/demonstrating how to play the game. That's the plan anyways.

Still a hope that the game will be ready for preorder by X-mas and then out by the summer con's next year. We'll see how the next round of playtesting goes.

Shortly before the game goes to preorder, I'll open up a discussion board on consim and support a game entry here on BGG.

Thank you for the interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.